Page 1 of 26 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    grow stronger comrade rockhuddy's Avatar
    rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool rockhuddy's powerlifting log

Alright, I figured I'd start one up. I'm doing a WSB style routine for the summer, so this will be a good way for me to keep track of my weights and PRs.

Some background:
    I'm 19, and I've been lifting for 6 years, 4 of those for football. I'm 6'1", and right now I weigh 220 lbs with about 13% bodyfat. My strongest bodyparts are my back and chest, while my legs are my weakest.

Training: I will be working out 5 days a week, monday through friday. My routine will look like this: ME upper, DE lower, GPP/recovery, DE upper, ME lower. I'll cycle through exercises for each workout every week, depending on what I need to work on and what I feel like doing.

Diet/supps: Diet is in check. I'm getting 3-4,000 evenly spaced calories per day, with high protein, moderate fat, and relatively low carbs. Current supps are whey, casein, EFAs, maltodextrin, creatine monohydrate, and a multi. I've got an order of ephedrine on the way so I can try out the ECA stack, just for fun. More on that when I get it.

Injuries: I have issues with both wrists, which makes some presses uncomfortable and cleans impossible. I also have a year old nagging RC injury from arm wrestling, of all things. It's more of a nuisance than anything else, but I'm paranoid about it getting worse again.

Unfortunately I have no current pics, and no way to take any at the moment. Here are a few from about 6 months ago. In them I was 230 with about 18% bodyfat, so just imagine me a bit leaner than that. I'll try to get some new pics sometime soon.
    Attached Images
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) rockhuddy is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

ME upper

Grip 2 CGBP: 135x4, 185x3, 225x1, 245x1, 275-missed, 265x1

Tricep extensions off the floor: 5x6, 95 lbs

WG pullups: 4x 6,6,6,4

Face pulls: 5x7, 125 lbs

Great workout. I was close on 275, but I still PRd at 265 on the CGBP. I'm going to be doing lots of tricep work to help with my lockouts on my presses, thus the extensions. Pullups were done with a grip as wide as I could go on the power rack.

Grip 2, btw, refers to a medium-close grip, about 2 inches outside of where the knurling starts. Grip 1 would be at the knurling, grip 3 at the rings, and grip 4 outside the rings.
    "If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen." - Samuel Adams

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Westside doesn't do any overhead pressing. Do you think that you will incorporate it into your program?

As a side note, I was in Brookfield, last night, shopping at Home Depot.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Subscribed! Thanks for starting this. I've been wanting to get in on a WS log from the beginning. I respect every post I read from you, so this should be good.

Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000) Amoral is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well its nice to see someone who uses low volume other than me.
    Business As Usual

Annapurna II

Anyone can look big standing alone

Originally Posted by papi93
    Westside doesn't do any overhead pressing. Do you think that you will incorporate it into your program?

On occasion, as an accessory or possibly even an ME lift. For example, last week I did rack lockouts on the seated military press as an accessory. The thing I like most about the Westside template is that you can tailor it to your needs, so you can work on whatever you need/want to. My shoulders are not a weak point, though, so they won't get all that much direct work for now.

Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Lencho has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Question

Originally Posted by rockhuddy

Grip 2, btw, refers to a medium-close grip, about 2 inches outside of where the knurling starts. Grip 1 would be at the knurling, grip 3 at the rings, and grip 4 outside the rings.
    State this in terms of finger placement, just so I'll be absolutely clear. For example, grip 3 at the rings. Does this mean pinky on the ring?

Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Powerbuilt is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Subscribed..
    Post also your weight and measurements, then each month update it. Get a set of pictures:
    Front Double bi
    Double Bi Back
    Lat Spread
    Legs

Then each month when you post weight and measurements post up new pics for a side by side. It makes there a lot cooler and more interesting to watch your buddy progression.

Originally Posted by Lencho
    State this in terms of finger placement, just so I'll be absolutely clear. For example, grip 3 at the rings. Does this mean pinky on the ring?
    Sorry. Grip 1 would be pointer fingers where the knurling starts, so as close as you can get and still be on the knurling. Grip 2 is 2 inches of knurling showing, so pointers 2 inches outside of grip 1. Grip 3 is pinkies on the rings, and grip 4 is pointers on the rings.

Originally Posted by Powerbuilt
    Subscribed..
    Post also your weight and measurements, then each month update it. Get a set of pictures:
    Front Double bi
    Double Bi Back
    Lat Spread
    Legs

Then each month when you post weight and measurements post up new pics for a side by side. It makes there a lot cooler and more interesting to watch your buddy progression.
    Like I said, those old ones are the only pics I have right now. Hopefully my parents will replace our digital camera soon, but until then I've got nothing.

I can do measurements, though. Here they are, all cold and in inches.

Shoulders: 50
    Chest: 45 1/2
    Arms: 16 1/2
    Forearms: 13
    Waist at navel: 34
    Hips: 42
    Thighs: 26
    Calves: 17

Thumbs up

Sorry. Grip 1 would be pointer fingers where the knurling starts, so as close as you can get and still be on the knurling. Grip 2 is 2 inches of knurling showing, so pointers 2 inches outside of grip 1. Grip 3 is pinkies on the rings, and grip 4 is pointers on the rings.
    Thanks.

I live pretty close to there, on Pilgrim and Capital, if you know the area.

papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) papi93 has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

I live pretty close to there, on Pilgrim and Capital, if you know the area.
    I've heard of Capital but not Pilgrim. I think Home Depot is off of Bluemound. A lot of stores to shop at.

I used to be a personal trainer at the Bally's Brookfield before moving onto better things. Traffic, especially during Christmas time, is terrible around 5pm.

My girlfriend used to shop a lot at Brookfield Square Mall. We bought our wedding bands at that mall. The lady told us, "Sir, she is petite and...you are not." I hope that she meant muscle. She brought this up in regards to the style of rings.

Evading Hi Speed Pursuit fast37's Avatar
    fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50) fast37 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Subscribed
    Bruce Lee vs. the Entire Kiss Army vs. Ron Burgundy's News Team

I've heard of Capital but not Pilgrim. I think Home Depot is off of Bluemound. A lot of stores to shop at.

I used to be a personal trainer at the Bally's Brookfield before moving onto better things. Traffic, especially during Christmas time, is terrible around 5pm.

My girlfriend used to shop a lot at Brookfield Square Mall. We bought our wedding bands at that mall. The lady told us, "Sir, she is petite and...you are not." I hope that she meant muscle. She brought this up in regards to the style of rings.
    Ah, I thought you meant the Home Depot on Capital. My bad.

I work at the Sears in Brookfield Square.

pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    *subscribes*

good luck man...

Originally Posted by pali012
    *subscribes*

good luck man...
    Glad to have you (goes for everyone else too), and thanks.
    Last edited by rockhuddy; 06-12-2006 at 08:53 PM.

AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) AU stu. is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    *Subscribed*

Good job on the PR on the CGBP.

Ah, I thought you meant the Home Depot on Capital. My bad.

I work at the Sears in Brookfield Square.
    That is wear we bought our wedding bands. I was thinking about stopping there on Sunday, to look at the plumbing department but decided to go with Home Depot off of Bluemound.

That is wear we bought our wedding bands. I was thinking about stopping there on Sunday, to look at the plumbing department but decided to go with Home Depot off of Bluemound.
    Weird. I woulda been there, in lawn and garden. You could have walked right by me, never knowing.

DE lower

Box squat: 10x2, 175 lbs with 1 minute rest periods

Speed pulls: 12x1, 225 lbs + purple bands with 1 minute rest periods

Glute ham raises: 5x8 with bodyweight

Standing ab crunches: 5x8, 75 lbs

Static stretching for about 15 minutes

Incredible lift. Very high intensity, with focus on speed and explosiveness. Box squats were done to just below parallel, with about 55% of my max. The speed pulls were done with about 60% of my max plus the bands for extra resistance at the top of the lift. On the last set, I took the bands off and the bar just flew up.

I did my ab work on the lat pulldown, using the rope attachment. I do these by facing away from the machine and locking my knees in behind the pad, then pulling my chest to my waist while holding the rope at neck level. These killed my abs, especially after the squats and deads. By the end of the lift I was drenched in sweat.

Tomorrow will be a light recovery day, and then I've got DE upper on Thursday.

Weird. I woulda been there, in lawn and garden. You could have walked right by me, never knowing.
    We bought them during Christmas time. There was an old lady who sold them to us. We where going to get married in Mexico, in May, but she did not have all of the necessary paperwork. Believe it or not but it is much harder to get married in Mexico than the US.

I'm a little naive on some of the accessories. Could you give a brief explanation of the bands?

I also do crunches standing from a high pulley, but I face forward while holding the bar with my arms extended (as if I'm at the bottom portion of a tricep pushdown) and then go all the way to the floor with the bar. Why don't people who do this on their knees realize that the floor is keeping them from getting to the best part of the movement?

I'm a little naive on some of the accessories. Could you give a brief explanation of the bands?

I also do crunches standing from a high pulley, but I face forward while holding the bar with my arms extended (as if I'm at the bottom portion of a tricep pushdown) and then go all the way to the floor with the bar. Why don't people who do this on their knees realize that the floor is keeping them from getting to the best part of the movement?
    Sure. The speed pulls are just deadlifts from the floor, but with the focus on explosiveness. Rather than explain how we hook up the bands, here's a picture. http://www.rugbystrength.com/images/...t_platform.jpg
    My setup is very similar, with the bands attached to the platform and looped over the bar. The idea is that as you lift the bar, the tension on the bands increases. This means that the lift is harder at the top, and the biggest reason to do this on speed day is that it forces you to lift explosively if you want to finish the lift as it gets harder to pull at the top.

As for the crunches, I'm trying to do a lot more ab work than I've been doing, which was basically nothing. Those kneeling cable crunches work very well too, but I still prefer using the rope over the bar. For me, it seems to put my torso in a more neutral position because you don't have to use a lot of muscle to hold the bar in place. There's so many variations, though, and I'm still figuring out which ones I like best, so I'll be rotating through several different movements until I find my favorites.

Thumbs up

Thanks again.

Thanks again.
    No problem. I love talking about this stuff.

What gym do you workout at?

No problem. I love talking about this stuff.
    Careful what you say. I can type your ear off if you'll let me.

What gym do you workout at?
    I work out at my old high school right now. It's great, because I've got an older buddy who's working as the strength coach there as his internship for his physiological science major. He's a powerlifter, and a damn good one, so I'm lifting for free with someone both stronger and more knowledgeable than myself. He's turned the place into a pretty hardcore weight room; we pick the music (heavy metal), have half the lights off, and have separate areas set up for pulling/oly lifting, squatting, benching, etc. Oh, and we use all the chalk we want/can. We've done ME zercher squats and had a chalk cloud going so thick you literally couldn't breathe.

I'm kind of rambling here, but you got me started, lol. It's the best lifting environment I've ever experienced, because when we lift it's just him, me, and one other experienced guy, we all do pretty much the same program, the intensity level is very high, we get each other pumped up, and so on and so on. It's all good.

Oh, I'm also working with the other 2 guys as a strength coach for the incoming freshmen, so I spend an extra hour a day in the weight room for that. It's very fulfilling, actually. I'm considering changing my major from marketing to exercise physiology so I can do what they do for a living. It's fun.

Careful what you say. I can type your ear off if you'll let me.
    Go for it. See above.

How do you guys get the gym to yourself?