T_bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

how "bad" are protein bars for you?

since i could be starving all day if i didn't have in-between meal snacks, I might have one or two protein bars a day - definitely two if its a busy day or I have meetings. My question is how good/bad protein bars are for you fat and overall health wise if I'm eating these suckers like everyday...like are they "bad" calories that might be a reason why I am retaining fat, or are they harder on the liver or anything? (and if so, what would ppl recommend as a replacement snack that will fill me up?)

The basic nutritional information for the cheap asshat bars i eat is:

energy: 193 cal
    protein: 14 g
    fat: 5.7 g
    carbs: 22 g
    sodium: 180 mg
    and a few vitamins...

ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50) ukbsktbll will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    They aren't necessarily bad for you, just not as good as real food. If thats the only thing you can do then go for it. Just make sure u find one with very low sat fat if any, and low sugar. Also know u probably aren't getting all of the protein it says it has in it.
    6'4'' 215

NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) NOFX ORTIZ is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Looks more like an energy bar than a protein bar to me.
    NASM certified personal trainer

Current: 168 lbs, 11%
    Goal: 180 lbs, 8%

T_bone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    yeah actually they are called "nutritional energy bars" so they are a bit heavier on the cals than the protein...and they have 3.5 g saturated fat as to 1.2 mono and 1.1 polyunstatured.

so would you recommend the bar above, or a promax:
    calories: 260 cal
    protein: 20 g
    fat: 6 g (2.5 g saturated)
    carbs: 40 g

OR

the Tri-O-Plex bars:
    calories: 420 cal
    protein: 30 g
    fat: 16 g (3 g saturated)
    carbs: 45 g

tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50) tbush will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I used to eat Tri-O-Plex but they don't taste that great but they kept me full and were a great substitute for a meal. Now it's easier for me to get a can of chicken and eat that with an apple for less calories and better nutrition. Be cautious of the amount of sugar in your protein bars. If you balance the calories in your diet then they are fine, and they are a hell of a lot better than fast food or other snack-type foods.
    Last edited by tbush; 06-12-2006 at 11:59 AM.

Rock You Like a Hurricane ryuten's Avatar
    ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000) ryuten is a name known to all. (+5000)
    if u're trying to cut, the hfcs and the other preservatives might have an adverse effect. but i don't like protien bars cuz they get me super constipated and i sh*t out bricks and clog up the toilet and it takes like an hour to plunge it down.

kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) kid.A has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LOL any protein bar with rediculous ammounts of sugar alcohols makes me crap blocks as well.

RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50) RADIRON will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Some bars are used for protein, some bars are used for overall cals and/or carbs. What you use them for aren't the issue, nor is the amount of protein, there's no difference, essentially, between a bar with 15g of protein and one with 20g. What's important is to read the ingredient list and look for HFCS , partially hydrogenated oils, and sugar (also called sucrose). These ingredients completely offset the fact that a bar has protein in it.

Look for a bar with as little sugar listed on the label as possible (less then 10g is ideal), one without HFCS or partially hydrogenated oils in it, and one that has its carbs derived from oats.

If you're going to have a sugar-ladened bar, like a promax (or any bar approaching 20g or more of sugar), have it post wo. Having bars like this, and most others, will lead to an increased gut. In a pinch, you're obviously better off having a bar than having nothing, but use your head.

napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000) napalm9 is a complete loser! (-2000)
    Protein bars rich in niacin cause acne.