bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Need Critique on my diet

Hello I have been trying to eat healthy for about a month now. I think that I have perfected my diet to fit my needs thanks to this great website. What I need is for you guys to look over my meal plan and tell me what you think about it. Anything to improve it would be much appreciated. I am trying to lose some fat while putting on a little muscle as well. I work out 3 times a week. I will do hiit 1 to 2 times a week. I dont wanna do low intensity cardio if I dont have too. I would rather rely on a perfect diet. Well here it is.

Meal 1
    2 Whole eggs and 2 whites, 1 pc whole wheat toast, 1/2 cup oatmeal

Meal 2
    1oz. almonds, 1 can tunaw/ pinapple

Meal 3
    4oz. chicken breast, veggies (lettuce, tomato, carrot, green pepper,) in salad with balsamic vinager and 1.5 tbs olive oil

Meal 4 (preworkout)
    2.5oz. top round loin, 2oz. whole wheat pasta

Meal 5 (post workout)
    2 scoops protein shake with banana

Meal 6
    4oz. ground turkey, 1/2 cup blackberries, 2tbs all natural pb

I am 5 foot 9 inches and weigh 165lbs. I will not try to stray far away from this diet. Sometime I will substitute brown rice for whole wheat pasta and garbanzo and kidney beans for a meat.

Thanks for your help in advance.
    P.S. I am trying to get my protein from different sources because I heard that this was better than from the same ones all the time.

bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bill341 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    bump

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    You don't weigh that much, what is your bf and what are your goals??

Without knowing that, I'd at least say the pinneaple is a waste of carbs, the whole wheat toast is....kinda not that great, and....basically I don't think it's enough. You aren't eating that much, IMHO. You do cardio twice a week and you lift three times a week?? That sounds good. Why would you ever do low intensity cardio, unless you wanted to waste your time?!?! No need for that IMHO!!
    "Every woman should have four pets in her life: a mink in her closet; a jaguar in
    her garage; a tiger in her bed; and a jackass who pays for everything." ~Paris Hilton~

The "diet" industry is the only business in the world that succeeds by failure.

The only reason that I eat the pineapple is so I can bear the taste of the tuna because I can't stand it. As far as my body fat goes I am not that sure what is but I would say somewhere between 14-12 percent I can see my abs sometimes but not usually unless I flex. Also what is wrong with the wheat bread I thoguht that was supposed to eb good for you.

O sorry my goal is to put on like 10 pounds of muscle but I know that it will take a long time. I would like to get under 10 percent body fat as well. I dont need to be extremely shredded but i would like ot be able to see my abs when i dont flex.

PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000) PopeGregorius is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by bill341
    The only reason that I eat the pineapple is so I can bear the taste of the tuna because I can't stand it.
    The diet looks reasonable. If you dont like tuna you can try salmon, or try fish fillets or mussels. I always have frozen fish fillets in the freezer. If you are trying to add muscle you will need to keep an eye on calories but especially protein.

Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mango is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Whole wheat bread IS supposed to be good for you, but I don't think it's really that great. It is still a processed carb. It isn't nearly as good for you as oats. If you do have bread, I really suggest going with Ezekiel bread, instead.

If you don't like tuna, stop eating tuna!! I'm going through an anti tuna phase right now, I don't intend to touch it until I miss it. Pinneaple (spelling....) is VERY high in sugar. I would keep the pinneaple for postworkout.

I'm interested in what other people will say about your diet....

I'd say

*aside from the whole wheat bread, meal 1 could use more protein. Eggs provide EFA's, oats for carbs, but, you need more protein than that.

*why don't you have some cottage cheese and some peanut butter if you don't like tuna?? Just because tuna is healthy for you doesn't mean you're not going to get your abs if you don't eat it.

*the third meal is perfect.

*the problem with your fourth meal is that it looks too heavy to eat before your workout. Try some oatmeal and egg whites, or a scoop of whey and some oats, or a small sweet potato and some whey. If you CAN stomach that....I suppose it is fine....I'm not a supporter of pasta unless you're bulking, though (pasta is so nasty and carb rich (coming from an Italian)).

*postworkout meal is perfect.

*next meal is fine, but I'd take out the PB. You don't want fats in your post, postworkout meal.

*I'd add another meal. Your prebed meal should be high in slow digesting proteins and should contain an EFA.

Overall, you do need more EFA's and more protein. If you knew what your calories and macros amounted to, that'd be helpful. Other than these MINOR suggestions, I think it looks good.
    Last edited by TricepGirl; 06-10-2006 at 09:08 PM. Reason: cause I had to edit....
    "Every woman should have four pets in her life: a mink in her closet; a jaguar in
    her garage; a tiger in her bed; and a jackass who pays for everything." ~Paris Hilton~

whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50) whatnow5 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by TricepGirl
    If you do have bread, I really suggest going with Ezekiel bread, instead.
    what is ezekiel bread?

Ezekiel bread is sprouted grain. It contains no gluten, has a lot of fiber, and has a respectably amount of protein in it.

You can find it in the freezer or refrigerated section of a grocery store. It doesn't last that long, though, so you have to keep it refrigerated or frozen and eat it up.

Its funny that you said to add another meal because i was thinking about adding one the past couple of days cause I was spacing out my meals a little too much. Now not to sound like a total noob but what are EFAs? Also what would be a good slow digesting protein to eat at night. One last thing I heard that fat is good before you go to bed because it is slower to digest. Is the reason you are saying this just because it is post post wo? If so then could I eat some for say meal 7?

Tingly like Beta-Alanine! alkemyst's Avatar
    alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    see your abs or add mass? that is the choice you need to make.

At 165, I'd bulk and forget my abs perhaps a year.

Then cut down. At that point modifying your diet:

>> Meal 1
    >> 2 Whole eggs and 2 whites, 1 pc whole wheat toast, 1/2 cup oatmeal

Skip the toast, eating oats (assuming they are not fast oats) is enough, toast/bread is not the best cutting carbs, if you really crave that piece of toast keep it as it is not that bad either...without knowing the egg size you use, get to at least 20g of protein...for a large egg that's 4 whole eggs, 8 whites roughly. If bulking you want at least 165g of protein a day, when I eat I want to get some of my protein in at that point.

>> Meal 2
    >> 1oz. almonds, 1 can tunaw/ pinapple

don't really see what you are going for in this meal. Also what kind of almonds...the 'roasted' variety is basically fried...dry roasted is better, but with about 1g fat for every two almonds, most would quake. The fat in most nuts is really good for you though, along with their nutrients. Still I avoid them.

>> Meal 3
    >> 4oz. chicken breast, veggies (lettuce, tomato, carrot, green pepper,) in >> salad with balsamic vinager and 1.5 tbs olive oil

lettuce is not veggies really, it's great for the texture though ...personally I just do vinegar or mostly plain. Add some more real veggies like broccolli, spinach, etc to that salad.

>> Meal 4 (preworkout)
    >> 5oz. top round loin, 2oz. whole wheat pasta

both will take a long time to be ready for your workout. I do a 40g protein powder and 1/2 cup of oats about 45mins pre-workout. That meat may be still digesting 60mins later.

>> Meal 5 (post workout)
    >> 2 scoops protein shake with banana

I'd get something more HIGH GI....feed the muscle, get some insulin!

>> Meal 6
    >> 4oz. ground turkey, 1/2 cup blackberries, 2tbs all natural pb

I don't know what to make of this...not my taste. However without the times you are eating these, it's hard to say. If Meal 6 is the last meal and right before bed, stick with just slowly digesting protein overnight. No need for carbs...but take some EFA's in.

EFA=Essential Fatty Acids
    *fish oils
    *flax oils
    *nut oils (sessamin is fantastic, but I haven't been able to get it in Canada....)

Fat is excellent to eat for your prebed meal, in addition to a slow digesting protein. Casein. Casein is....only found in cottage cheese....I think....(correct me if I am wrong, please....), or else you can find an isolated casein protein powder. Those, I think you can order from bb.com.

Yes, I said to avoid fat in that meal purely because it is your post, postworkout meal. In that meal, you want more complex carbs and lean proteins. The berries are fine, because they have so much fiber; they are much more complex than, for instance, your banana or the pinneaple.

Tingly like Beta-Alanine! alkemyst's Avatar
    alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250) alkemyst has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by bill341
    Its funny that you said to add another meal because i was thinking about adding one the past couple of days cause I was spacing out my meals a little too much. Now not to sound like a total noob but what are EFAs? Also what would be a good slow digesting protein to eat at night. One last thing I heard that fat is good before you go to bed because it is slower to digest. Is the reason you are saying this just because it is post post wo? If so then could I eat some for say meal 7?
    Essential Fatty Acids, the fats needed to burn fat.

EFA's are good prior to bed, pork rinds are not. People get that confused and do ice cream, candy and garbage thinking it's what you are supposed to do.

IF YOU DON'T LIKE TUNA DON'T EAT IT ...there are other sources of good protein out there.