Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast
    BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigJohn308 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I work out at home now, but did attend a gym for quite some time. I grunt loudly at times. I train for competitive powerlifting and am well within my rights to grunt all I want.

Now at competitions its a whole different story. My team screams, yells, hollers...you name it, we get crazy at meets.

"Attention whore"? Not me, its a natural reflex when I'm pushing really hard. Now let me tell you about "attention whores", how "bodybuilder guy" who can never look you straight in the eye during conversations if there is a mirror within a 1/4 mile of him????? Or Mr. "I dont care how much I lift, just how I look"??? Now that my friends, is an attention whore.
    5'10" 285#
    Raw lifter, aspiring BJJ artist, 41 yrs old

"We each have within us the greatest power of all, the power of choice"-John Crone Jr. 2001

redinator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) redinator has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I enjoy screamers. Not because of the sounds they make. But I get a kick out of working my ass off in front of them without making a squeek.

Registered User Tequila Sunrise's Avatar
    Tequila Sunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tequila Sunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tequila Sunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tequila Sunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tequila Sunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tequila Sunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Tequila Sunrise has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If the little kid's max weight is 30 pounds its normal that he grunts or screams or whatever, cause its his max, you hit your max at 400 pound and you grunt/scream . cause its your max..
    the whole "lightweight grunting" thing is irrelevant.
    Its the people that scream and grunt just to show off that are annoying

Eat, Drink and be Merry.. jayvee's Avatar
    jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50) jayvee will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    im not a big grunter, but basically - lifting big poundages and letting out a grunt or two on the big efforts = fine; grunting simply for the sake of it, even using a weight the elderly woman at the old peoples home could handle = mungbean.

of course having said that, maria sharapova has that god awful shriek that sounds like an effect from that old 80's classic atari game moon patrol, yet her sheer splendidness has me engaged for hours watching her with no complaints..

jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jehst is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Anabolism1000
    I think the only time it's appropriate is when you can't hold it back, it just happens. And I don't mean screaming, there's no place for that unless you're in a powerlifting meet, maybe going for a world record.
    LOL next time i go to the gym im gonna scream as loud as i can beFore io deadlit
    *** BMB Founder and President ***

Jefferson's camp accused President Adams of having a "hideous hermaphroditical character, which has neither the force and firmness of a man, nor the gentleness and sensibility of a woman."

Too Sweet to be Sour! RoadPigJohn's Avatar
    RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Cool

Originally Posted by -N-
    ^exactly.It really depends on the person and the environment. There are people in glitzy gyms shreiking as they curl 15 pound dumbells just for the 'chicks' attention.Such would be a nuisance especially in the warm and fuzzy spas they these days pass off as "gyms".But if a person is going heavy,and it's a genuine grunt of sorts then I fail to see why anyone should feel offended.It's perfectly alright to do that.You should appreciate the effort instead.
    My personal observation is that mostly the people who know that they can never be capable of lifting that kind of weight themselves whether they have to yell or not are generally the first ones to crib bout it.
    Finnaly someone said the true!!!

What is funny at the gym is when new commers star screaming when they lift tiny weights..................... That makes me said "What a Pussy"
    System Administrator
    CISCO CCNP Data Center, CCENT, CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless, CCNA Data Center and CCDA Certified.
    CompTIA Network+ and A+ Certified.

God be with you mother, I love you.

What we think, we become.
    Buddha.

Too Sweet to be Sour! RoadPigJohn's Avatar
    RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) RoadPigJohn is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Talking

Originally Posted by jehst
    LOL next time i go to the gym im gonna scream as loud as i can beFore io deadlit
    You must do something original!!!
    So next time you hit the gym do:

Sing and dance:

Keep on with the force don't stop
    Don't stop 'til you get enough

And the scream like Michael Jackson. "Uuuuuuuuuuuuuuh"

After that you can lift your weights
    Now with all that you finnaly are going to get attention from the people of your Gym!
    System Administrator
    CISCO CCNP Data Center, CCENT, CCNA Routing & Switching, CCNA Security, CCNA Voice, CCNA Wireless, CCNA Data Center and CCDA Certified.
    CompTIA Network+ and A+ Certified.

God be with you mother, I love you.

What we think, we become.
    Buddha.

marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000) marrzie is just really nice. (+1000)
    Heres a piece from January 2003 Flex mag.
    Called "Double Bill" Starring Tom Prince and Bob Cicherillo and the 20 bodybuilding fundamental that made them big.

#13 Intensity
    Let me tell you what intensity is not.Intensity is not screaming and making ridiculous noises like someone´s poking needles in your eyes.Intensity is not throwing stuff around the gym or slapping each other in the face before sets.We leave that to the powerlifters.Instead, we channel our energy into our muscles.Intensity is focusing on the muscle group you´re training and willing it to grow.If you´re truly targeting your muscles and not just showing off, you won´t have the extra energy to carry on like a maniac.
    -Bob

bumblebeegsxr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I personally think its EXTREMELY annoying and makes them look stupid! Because whatever weight they are lifting even if its really heavy, that weight is no heavier for them than the 135lbs is for the little skinny guy giving it his all!

And I DO NOT believe that it gives you any kind of a boost to yell. WHen I hear a dude yelling and screaming for attention literally, I do the exact opposite of what hes expecting which is for everyone to look, and I turn the other way or start a conversation with somebody to show that im NOT impressed with the immaturity!

Registered User italionstallion's Avatar
    italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500) italionstallion is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yelling is over the top and not necessary. Grunting is totally acceptable.
    M.O.B.

Resident Geneticist parsa_rules's Avatar
    parsa_rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parsa_rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parsa_rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parsa_rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parsa_rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parsa_rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) parsa_rules has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm not a BBer; just trying to have a nice lean body.
    It actually makes me laugh whenever I hear people grunt and scream.
    I had a friend in college where whenever he heard women scream when working out, he'd IMMEDIATELY leave the gym (excited).
    It was sooo funny.
    Below are some interesting facts regarding genetics:

*Each cell has 90cm of DNA, compressed so tightly to fit into the cells nucleus.
    *We share 99.8% homology to monkeys!!

Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000) Figure8 is just really nice. (+1000)
    If you never use weights heavy enough to cause you to yell, grunt, whetever; your not in a position to criticize. All of the opponents on this issue would fall in this category, you are just gym filler, doing your little workouts, and good for you! Your staying healthy, pumpin' those little biceps before you hit the club, maybe your "gettin' back into it after a couple of years off". But where I workout, there are serious lifters who are there for reasons different than yours. You think yelling doesnt make a difference? Why is it accepted and encouraged in martial arts and childbirth? Because when you have to give EVERYTHING YOU HAVE it is a natural reflex and should not be suppressed, if you have to try to not make noise, your not focusing on the task at hand, and stalling your progress. Finally, to the person who posted the Tom Prince-Bob Chic quote about "intesity is not making noise" Go download the Ronnie Coleman leg press video. Hmm, Ronnie Coleman, 8 time mr.o, LOUD AS HELL! Tom Prince and Bob Chic who?

heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) heavyliftin has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Figure8
    If you never use weights heavy enough to cause you to yell, grunt, whetever; your not in a position to criticize. All of the opponents on this issue would fall in this category, you are just gym filler, doing your little workouts, and good for you! Your staying healthy, pumpin' those little biceps before you hit the club, maybe your "gettin' back into it after a couple of years off". But where I workout, there are serious lifters who are there for reasons different than yours. You think yelling doesnt make a difference? Why is it accepted and encouraged in martial arts and childbirth? Because when you have to give EVERYTHING YOU HAVE it is a natural reflex and should not be suppressed, if you have to try to not make noise, your not focusing on the task at hand, and stalling your progress. Finally, to the person who posted the Tom Prince-Bob Chic quote about "intesity is not making noise" Go download the Ronnie Coleman leg press video. Hmm, Ronnie Coleman, 8 time mr.o, LOUD AS HELL! Tom Prince and Bob Chic who?
    Nice.

BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500) BigHulkHogan is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by AangleN
    people seem to think it makes you stronger, which it doesnt.
    wrong, REAL lifters scream because its a form of mental pyscheout technique.
    Have you ever watched ronnie coleman?
    He yells and talks to himself out LOUD. Its a way to trick hisself that the weights are light.
    It's all in the mind.

I know last time I was yelling while lifting weights, those ****in weights moved A HELL of a alot easier.
    It gets you more pumped up and focused on what your doing.

People can yell or scream whenever they want, whatever it takes to get the weights up.

Unless you're just an attention whore, then it's pathetic.

But all the people I've seen yelling, are like 240lbs juicers.....

Oh yea, just another example to prove my point....

Ever been in the military? Ever watched people go thru BootCamp?
    Guess what, drill instructors yell their ASSES OFF!!!!
    It's done for MODIVATION, because it practically forces soldier to push themselves THAT much farther....

Yea......make sure before you state something, you got something to back it up with.
    Last edited by BigHulkHogan; 06-11-2006 at 06:56 PM.
    "Yea....That's what SHE SAID!!!"

"In the wild, there is no healthcare. In the wild healthcare is 'Ow, I hurt my leg. I can't run. A lion eats me, and I'm dead.' Well, I'm not dead. I'm the lion. You're dead."

"Obama can eat **** and die for all I care! He's just a black Hitler in disguise...and americans IQ level just dropped for electing him!"

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I'm on the other side of the gym, with my headphones on and the music WAY up and I can still hear your attention-starved a$$, you are way too F%^king loud!

I breathe pretty hard on some of my tougher lifts and I hear grunts from time to time, that is all good, but there is no need for the repetitive "AAAARGH" screaming from some fata$$ sitting on a pec-deck, pushing 120.

This happens way too damn often, its usually the social-club type gyms that have this going on, if you go to a real hardcore type gym, usually you'll get guys doing it on their most ridiculous set, for a few reps, not some overweight guy doing it for 12 or 13 straight repetitions.
    Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

An obvious example of New Math.
    "It was a 2% tax hike, dumbass. From 3% to 5%"-NRKF84

Glutton for Punishment joelx817's Avatar
    joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) joelx817 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yell, scream.. do whatever you want. If you want a nice quiet gym, go to Golds or 24hour fitness. I work out at certain gym in Arlington, TX where the music is so loud, the fans are blowing, the spotters are screaming at their buddies to pick up that p**sy weight for one more rep. I grew up lifting weights in the field house for football. You yell on the field, you yell at practice, you yell and scream at each other to push yourselves. It's all mental.

I guess I respect those who want to be a "ninja" in the gym and be "super silent". Next time your infiltrating some bank and have to pick up a safe in complete silence, you'll be ready.

If someone has to let out a yell to get one or two more reps and they bug you at "your" gym. Send them down our way...
    6'5"
    281 lbs
    Getting back in the game

ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ElMariachi has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by joelx817
    Yell, scream.. do whatever you want. If you want a nice quiet gym, go to Golds or 24hour fitness. I work out at certain gym in Arlington, TX where the music is so loud, the fans are blowing, the spotters are screaming at their buddies to pick up that p**sy weight for one more rep. I grew up lifting weights in the field house for football. You yell on the field, you yell at practice, you yell and scream at each other to push yourselves. It's all mental.

I guess I respect those who want to be a "ninja" in the gym and be "super silent". Next time your infiltrating some bank and have to pick up a safe in complete silence, you'll be ready.

If someone has to let out a yell to get one or two more reps and they bug you at "your" gym. Send them down our way...

It's called common f%^king courtesy

When I'm trying to concentrate and focus, I don't need the raspy whiny bitch-moans of the guy way on the other side of the building coming through.

The gym I worked out at when I was in the Army had multiple top notch All-Army boxers, including one competing for the Olympics, a whole bunch of Rangers and Special Forces guys, all sorts of terrific physical specimens, hardcore workout monsters, and the only sounds you could hear were dumbells dropping, loud rock and rap music cranking, and bars being slammed down. If none of those guys felt a need to scream out like b%^hes during orgasm, I don't see why some pot-bellied 34 year old has a necessity to do so either.
    Russell Wilson, the first QB in NFL history to throw a game-winning interception.

"So you got fired again eh?" "Yeah, they always freak out when you leave the scene of an accident."

Spiders are like offensive linemen, the best ones do their job and you never notice them.

Diaz3729 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

i feel yeah

i only scream on the last 4 or so reps on my last set

-N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Excellent post.
    You Silent Lambs should've visited the original Golds Gym back in the 70's-80's.There was a reason it was known as the mecca of bodybuilding.More noise than you could take.(The type of noise,and by whom was obviosly one of the factors that contributed to its mind-blowingly intense atmsphere.)
    Well anyways to each his own..but here is an excellent article for you pussies amusement.
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/animalpak43.htm
    Last edited by -N-; 06-11-2006 at 11:11 PM.
    "You can't train for peak, n00b! I know cause I have read all about it!"

-N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) -N- has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by ElMariachi
    concentrate and focus, I don't need the raspy whiny bitch-moans of the guy way on the other side of the building coming through
    If you had any idea what that was,you wouldn't be hearing them.

Finally, to the person who posted the Tom Prince-Bob Chic quote about "intesity is not making noise" Go download the Ronnie Coleman leg press video. Hmm, Ronnie Coleman, 8 time mr.o, LOUD AS HELL! Tom Prince and Bob Chic who?
    Bob Chic.Bob Chic the moderator.Bob Chic the moderator who,if you fancifully quote,you stand a chance of being gifted a couple of juicy green blocks under nickname.Do not underestimate the power of these blocks,the are necessary for the survival of mankind.The more the dots beside your name,the bigger your muscles will become.(and probably even your ego).Just quote the big boys.And watch out.. if you beleive otherwise your gonna be cursed to hell.Your gonna be put in the dreaded "red zone" Which is..in real life..gonna make you a lesser bodybuilder.

ps-Absolutely no offence to you Bob.I respect you as a bodybuilder and i'm sure you'd be great as a person.I had to write this cuz some of ur pets have started using "Bob once said.." as proof to their arguement which is ridiculous.
    Last edited by -N-; 06-12-2006 at 12:13 AM.

Originally Posted by bumblebeegsxr
    I personally think its EXTREMELY annoying and makes them look stupid! Because whatever weight they are lifting even if its really heavy, that weight is no heavier for them than the 135lbs is for the little skinny guy giving it his all!

And I DO NOT believe that it gives you any kind of a boost to yell. WHen I hear a dude yelling and screaming for attention literally, I do the exact opposite of what hes expecting which is for everyone to look, and I turn the other way or start a conversation with somebody to show that im NOT impressed with the immaturity!
    He enjoys conversation in the gym.This just goes on to show how much more of a "mature man" he is when it comes to busting your ass at the gym.
    Last edited by -N-; 06-12-2006 at 05:04 AM.

Originally Posted by -N-
    If you had any idea what that was,you wouldn't be hearing them.

Who the hell are you? Trying to act familiar and crap, you don't know me, so don't act like it. If you want to go moan like you're trying out to do porn, be my guest, I'll be the guy in the corner knocking out reps, leaving you far behind. I've just never felt a need to act so stupid in a gym, especially considering how many different types of people you get in one place.

Also, the people bringing Ronnie Coleman up, please do shut the hell up with that gargage, we're talking about your average everyday gym here, a place where a guy is more likely to be a Krispy Kreme dunking champion than a champion bodybuilder.

I've been around champion athletes, top notch guys in a dark, half century old gym at Fort Campbell, Kentucky and somehow nobody was ever pulling the crap I see now, repetitive screaming and shouting at top pitch, I don't know where people are getting this from, but after being at my gym for over a year, I can't say that it has helped anyone's results, as it its the same people who were fat last year, are fatter this year and seem more like a baby coming out of the womb than anything else, a lot of kicking, flailing and drooling, but no real results to back up the commotion.

I like it how all of the sudden everyone goes to this "elite gym" where you have real "manly men" who like to holler and squeal, this isn't Deliverance we are talking about here folks.

Once again, if some of those Ranger guys I used to workout with go put themselves through stuff that would make most grown men weep, I really don't see how the average guy finds it necessary to draw attention to the fact that he's doing 20 cable curls.
    Last edited by ElMariachi; 06-12-2006 at 03:26 AM.

Squatting for huge arms 7Forty7's Avatar
    7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    loud rock and rap music cranking
    I actually find this (loud music) a hell of a lot more annoying than someone grunting while pushing heavy weight. Why do gyms assume that everyone wants 120 dB in their ears non-stop? What is more "hardcore" about loud music than grunting and moaning unintentionally? If I want music I'll have my ipod going.

Originally Posted by SevenFortySeven
    I actually find this (loud music) a hell of a lot more annoying than someone grunting while pushing heavy weight. Why do gyms assume that everyone wants 120 dB in their ears non-stop? What is more "hardcore" about loud music than grunting and moaning unintentionally? If I want music I'll have my ipod going.
    LOL, you're thinking of the wrong kind of gym, the gym I'm talking about is one where we had an old school stereo system on the floor and everyone would bring CD's and play whatever on there. I didn't mind it at all as the whole atmosphere was geared to really working out hard, pushing yourself, especially when you saw everyone else almost ready to break down the damn walls. I've never sen that at any other gym frankly.

I don't mind the music as its one continuous flow that your mind can block out, plus its easily overriden by headphones, but when you got some dude screaming like Jenna Jameson in the corner, with irregular and rapid fire "AAAGH" "OOH" "AAAGH" "OH OH OH" then it tends to get annoying, I can even put up with the garbage they play at my gym sometimes, like a mix between the Best of 70s Disco, 90s Pop Music and just generally irrelevant teeny-bopper crap.

They never play it too loudly at my current gym, but those people in the cardio/spinning room have to be permanently hearing challenged, I walk by there on my way out sometimes and the volume is so damn loud that it dwarfs even the shrill voice of the instructor.
    Last edited by ElMariachi; 06-12-2006 at 03:45 AM.

7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 7Forty7 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I've been around champion athletes, top notch guys in a dark, half century old gym at Fort Campbell, Kentucky and somehow nobody was ever pulling the crap I see now, repetitive screaming and shouting at top pitch, I don't know where people are getting this from, but after being at my gym for over a year, I can't say that it has helped anyone's results, as it its the same people who were fat last year, are fatter this year and seem more like a baby coming out of the womb than anything else, a lot of kicking, flailing and drooling, but no real results to back up the commotion.
    Agreed, if people are actually yelling and shouting at volume. But a few grunts and moans when you're exerting yourself near maximum? I cannot stop doing that, couldn't if I tried. And yes, it does get me through the sticking point when I'm at 99.9% max. I'm not talking about stuff that could be heard across the room though.

I don't mind the music as its one continuous flow that your mind can block out, plus its easily overriden by headphones, but when you got some dude screaming like Jenna Jameson in the corner, with irregular and rapid fire "AAAGH" "OOH" "AAAGH" "OH OH OH" then it tends to get annoying, I can even put up with the garbage they play at my gym sometimes, like a mix between the Best of 70s Disco, 90s Pop Music and just generally irrelevant teeny-bopper crap.
    Yep, agreed (read your edit too).
    Last edited by SevenFortySeven; 06-12-2006 at 03:49 AM.

FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50) FaceTheFacts will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by the terminator
    do you mind these people that scream and yell while there working out?
    As long as I'm wearing my headphones, it doesnt matter.

Originally Posted by SevenFortySeven
    Agreed, if people are actually yelling and shouting at volume. But a few grunts and moans when you're exerting yourself near maximum? I cannot stop doing that, couldn't if I tried. And yes, it does get me through the sticking point when I'm at 99.9% max. I'm not talking about stuff that could be heard across the room though.

You and I are on different wavelengths, I'm not talking about grunting and moaning for a few reps at max, I'm talking about a dude who sits down on a freaking machine, and will sit there and scream and shout at the very top of his lungs for 10+ repetitions, looking around and staring all over the place to see who is looking in his general direction.

He will then proceed to go talk on his cellphone, take like a 10 minute waterbreak, do another screaming Jenna Jameson set, flex his pudgy physique in the mirror, stumble around, stare at the girls on the treadmills, and repeat the nonsense again.

This is actually pretty common behavior at the gym I'm at and I don't know who the f%^k encourages this garbage, but its way over the top for me.

You and I are on different wavelengths, I'm not talking about grunting and moaning for a few reps at max, I'm talking about a dude who sits down on a freaking machine, and will sit there and scream and shout at the very top of his lungs for 10+ repetitions, looking around and staring all over the place to see who is looking in his general direction.
    Sounds like we are - I must be lucky then cause I've never actually seen much of that. I see the guys craving attention but thankfully they're not too loud at my gym. If they're squealing like cut pigs over a 10 rep set, then yes, couldn't agree more.

Probably mixing you up with a few others - some people in this thread seem to think absolute silence is the only acceptable practice.