In4ABetterBody has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Powder can cause kidney problems? omg

Well I just went to the doctor today for a regular check up. I asked him if it was okay to take protein shakes/protein powder. He said he wouldn't recommend it but I can and not too much because it will cause kidney problems. I've been taking this cyto sport muscle milk 8 scoops a day. I'm guess I have to lower my scoops down or I'll be headed for trouble. Better to lose weight than to get kidney disease? Any of you guys thought about how protein can affect your kidneys? How often do ya'll take it?

UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I take anywhere from 0-3 scoops a day. Depending on whether I lift that day or how much protein I get from food. 8 scoops of muscle milk seems like a ton. Doesn't that have like 300 calories per scoop? I think you would be better of lowering that amount and getting a better percentage of your calories from regular food. I have heard too much protein can cause some kidney problems but to be honest I don't know how accurate that is and how much is too much.

I buy the protein from this site and it says 2 scoops = 348 calories.

Cyto Muscle Milk

Container Size: 2.48 Lbs
    Serving Size: 2 Scoops or 1 Packet
    Servings Per Container: 15

Container Size: 20 Packets
    Servings Per Container: 20

Container Size: 4.96 Lbs.
    Servings Per Container: 30

Amount Per Serving:

Total Calories: 348
    Calories From Fat: 162
    Total Fat: 18 g 28%
    Saturated Fat: 8 g 40%
    Cholesterol: 3 mg 1%
    Sodium: 200 mg 8%
    Potassium: 595 mg 17%
    Total Carbohydrates: 12 g 4%
    Dietary Fiber: <2 g 8%
    Sugars: 6 g
    Protein: 32 g 64%

Vitamin A: 33%
    Vitamin C: 33%
    Calcium: 33%
    Iron: 33%
    Vitamin D: 33%
    Vitamin E: 33%
    Thiamin (B1): 33%
    Riboflavin (B2): 33%
    Niacin (B3): 33%
    Pyridoxine (B6): 33%
    Folic Acid: 33%
    Cyanocobalamin (B12): 33%
    Biotin: 33%
    Pantothenic Acid: 33%
    Phosphorus: 33%
    Iodine: 33%
    Magnesium: 33%
    Zinc: 33%
    Copper: 33%
    Chromium: 100 mcg 33%

Originally Posted by UFpower
    I take anywhere from 0-3 scoops a day. Depending on whether I lift that day or how much protein I get from food. 8 scoops of muscle milk seems like a ton. Doesn't that have like 300 calories per scoop? I think you would be better of lowering that amount and getting a better percentage of your calories from regular food. I have heard too much protein can cause some kidney problems but to be honest I don't know how accurate that is and how much is too much.

what protein powder do you take? Are you trying to gain weight?

i want to lift elephants Chunk Tiger's Avatar
    Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    From what I have read, you need to drink 1/2 Gallon of water per 100g of protein. You're probably getting kidney problems from not drinking enough water (would probably have the same problems if you're not drinking enough and using creatine too).

I try to shoot for 2 gallons of water a day since I eat a lot of protein and take 5g creatine mono a day.
    Rippetoe Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1033961

Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Orthodox has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    As long as you drink adequate amounts of water kidney problems are not an issue.. that **** is so over hyper. :/

Originally Posted by Chunk Tiger
    From what I have read, you need to drink 1/2 Gallon of water per 100g of protein. You're probably getting kidney problems from not drinking enough water (would probably have the same problems if you're not drinking enough and using creatine too).

I try to shoot for 2 gallons of water a day since I eat a lot of protein and take 5g creatine mono a day.

I don't have kidney problems. the doctor just stated that I might if I take too much protein.

Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Screamin has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by In4ABetterBody
    I don't have kidney problems. the doctor just stated that I might if I take too much protein.
    Your doctor is wrong. Protein does NOT cause kidney problems. Kidney problems are caused by DEHYDRATION (ie not drinking enough water to support your increased caloric intake).
    LIFE IS TOO SHORT TO BE SMALL

"tofurkey? tof*ck yourself" ~ W8

Check out my journal (currently on hold): http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=7096271

SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) SolidSnake84 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Screamin
    Your doctor is wrong. Protein does NOT cause kidney problems. Kidney problems are caused by DEHYDRATION (ie not drinking enough water to support your increased caloric intake).
    bingo.

http://www.sugapablo.net sugapablo's Avatar
    sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Screamin
    What's the relationship between increased calories and dehydration?
    My Transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/transformation10.jpg

1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000)
    I have taken about 240 grams of protein per day for the last 12 years. My kidneys are working perfectly.

ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000) ratmonkey has a brilliant future. Third best rank! (+40000)
    high protien intake only exacerbates EXISTING kidney disease. it has no effect on an otherwise healthy individual.

doctors are not always right. in fact, they're wrong a whole lot.

Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50) Augustin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You've got that right Ratmonkey. A doctor is the last person I would ask for bodybuilding nutritional advice.

1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000) 1devil is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by ratmonkey
    high protien intake only exacerbates EXISTING kidney disease. it has no effect on an otherwise healthy individual.

Most doctors also go into a frenzy when you tell them you take creatine. In fact creatine has been proven to be extremely safe by more studies than you can count. In fact I have yet to see astudy that states that it is dangerous in any way.

Old School Bodybuilder Frank_The_Tank's Avatar
    Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Frank_The_Tank has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by ratmonkey

Can someone find me a study that goes along these lines??
    I had to go to the doctor today today get blood testing done/ urinalysis. He told me that if I took anymore than 1g/kilo (2.2lbs) than I would be "over stressing" my kidneys. I told him that I drink at least 2 gallons of water a day and he said that it didn't make a difference. When I go back to get my results I would really like to prove him wrong.

http://www.sugapablo.net sugapablo's Avatar
    sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10) sugapablo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by Frank_The_Tank
    Can someone find me a study that goes along these lines??
    I had to go to the doctor today today get blood testing done/ urinalysis. He told me that if I took anymore than 1g/kilo (2.2lbs) than I would be "over stressing" my kidneys. I told him that I drink at least 2 gallons of water a day and he said that it didn't make a difference. When I go back to get my results I would really like to prove him wrong.
    Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O. Do regular high-protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes? Int J Sports Nutr 2000;10:28-38

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation

Walser M. Effects of protein intake on renal function and on the development of renal disease. In: The Role of Protein and Amino Acids in Sustaining and Enhancing Performance. Committee on Military Nutrition Research, Institute of Medicine. Washington, DC: National Academies Press, 1999, pp. 137-154.

Klahr S, Levey AS, Beck GJ et al. The effects of dietary protein restriction and blood-pressure control on the progression of chronic renal failure. N Engl J Med 1994;330:877-884.
    Last edited by sugapablo; 06-05-2006 at 04:26 PM.
    My Transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/photo/data/500/transformation10.jpg

Originally Posted by sugapablo
    Poortmans JR, Dellalieux O. Do regular high-protein diets have potential health risks on kidney function in athletes? Int J Sports Nutr 2000;10:28-38

Link: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/entrez/q...&dopt=Citation
    The answer is no. I guess it's all a myth then.

girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000) girlinseattle is just really nice. (+1000)
    If anything, high protein diets just cause lots of smelly gas, from my unscientific personal study.

eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by 1devil
    Most doctors also go into a frenzy when you tell them you take creatine. In fact creatine has been proven to be extremely safe by more studies than you can count. In fact I have yet to see astudy that states that it is dangerous in any way.
    Yeah, and it's especially stupid since you can get creatine when you eat a steak.

eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50) eatingisfun will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by sugapablo
    What's the relationship between increased calories and dehydration?
    Kidneys filter your blood of toxins, which you get more of when you eat more. So you need more water to flush them out your wiener.

gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by eatingisfun
    Yeah, and it's especially stupid since you can get creatine when you eat a steak.
    Actually, creatine gets denatured at 110 degrees F. So no, you don't get creatine by eating steak. Too bad.
    Never waste an egg yolk

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the morning." -Homer Simpson

"Here's my theory: The better someone's genetics are, the more of a dumb**** he is." -Alan Aragon

Originally Posted by gymgrown
    Actually, creatine gets denatured at 110 degrees F. So no, you don't get creatine by eating steak. Too bad.
    Ah, that sucks. Maybe if you're one of those people that eat it almost raw you'd get a lot of creatine.

aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10) aCCel is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    i dont care what u are taking the doctor will always tell u to not take it, that's why they aren't bodybuilders screw them!

i want to lift elephants Chunk Tiger's Avatar
    Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Chunk Tiger has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by eatingisfun
    Ah, that sucks. Maybe if you're one of those people that eat it almost raw you'd get a lot of creatine.
    Tomorrow is steak day! I eat mine raw on the inside, more flavour.
    Rippetoe Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=1033961

UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) UFpower has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what protein powder do you take? Are you trying to gain weight?

I use ON whey and I am trying to lose weight. Do you take any other protein besides muscle milk? It is slow absorbing which is good at certain times such as prebed but you may want to take some whey protein at other times such as post workout. My bad on the calories of muscle milk. I knew it had over 300 but I had the serving size wrong.

cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) cword3 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i have kidney problems from too much protein. I have to get bloodwork every 3 weeks.

Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000) Krique is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by gymgrown View Post
    Well, if you get it pretty rare, the internal temp doesn't get too hot. So, theoretically, you can get decent amount of creatine from a hella rare steak.
    Judging from the covers of countless women's magazines, the two topics most interesting to women are: (1) Why men are all disgusting pigs, and (2) How to attract men.

I always rep back