Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    papple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to Get a Beach Body Thread

Hi there,

Since apparently some of you are interested in how to get a "beach body", I will (hopefully) make a helpful post instead of the hundreds of posts flaming anyone that doesn't want to look like the next Dorian Yates.

While I personally don't really care for a beach body, I think it's good to help others who are trying to obtain the 'abercrombie model' look.

Basically, there are two essential things you need in order to get the model look.

1) Enough Muscle for Your Height -

Basically, the shorter you are the less actual pounds of muscle you need in order to obtain that beach body look.

A good estimate on how much weight you need in order to look as muscular as most of the abercrombie models.

* Skip this section because it's too hard to make a weight/height chart
    * since there are relatively skinny models and somewhat bigger models.
    =============================
    ------------
    Edit: Okay, I overestimated on the weight if you're looking for the average abercrombie look.
    I was thinking more along the lines of Brad Pitt, Nick Lachey, who are probably on the
    larger end of the abercrombie model scale. I didn't realize Abercrombie had so many
    skinny guys until you guys posted those pics (I just looked at the pics outside the store
    and on bags).

http://members.fortunecity.com/mattd...ahlberg424.jpg

So I've changed the body-fat percentage since most people
    will end up having a higher body-fat percentage anyways when they're bulking.

[This estimates your body fat is anywhere from 11-15% since you'll probably]
    -----------

5'6 - 5'7 - 160 lbs
    5'8-5'9 - 170 lbs
    5'10-5'11 - 180 lbs
    6+ feet - 190 -200lbs
    ================================

I wrote a medium-length article on how to gain muscle that's helpful for anyone who is past the beginners stage and wants a good split workout routine....
    http://bebodybuilding.com/index.php

(I currently use a slightly modified routine)

The next thing is to know how many calories you need to maintain your weight...
    http://www.healthrecipes.com/calories.htm

Figure out your Total Day Calorie Expenditure and add 400-500+ calories since you're trying to gain mass. A good weekly goal is to gain 1.0 - 2.0 lbs of mass a week. If you gain more than 2 lbs a week, you're likely gaining quite a bit of fat on the side or temporary water weight.

Suppose you're 5'8 and 150 lbs. It would take you maybe 15 weeks to get to 170 lbs. You're ready to go to stage two.

2) Get to 6-9% bodyfat

*Generally* speaking, people start to look defined anywhere from 6-9% bodyfat. It also depends if you're looking for the well-formed abs or the shredded, muscular abs look. However, it's pretty difficult for anyone to maintain low bodyfat so if you're looking to keep that defined, expect your average bodyfat level when you're not cutting to be at a reasonable level like 9-11%.

The trick is to lose bodyfat because you don't want to lose your hard-earned muscle.

For Exercising....

Weightlift X 3-4 times a week.
    Cardio X 3 times a week.

And from your TDCE (Total Daily Calorie Expenditure) subtract 10-15% or if you're too lazy just subtract 300-500 calories.

1) Eat less simple sugar. This includes white bread, candy, and virtually all desserts.
    2) Keep your protein and complex carbs intake high. Don't try to go all bazooka and do a 1500-calorie starvation diet. You just need to trim your calories a little bit by eating cleaner, but you'll still eat relatively the same amount.
    3) Eat good fat, Stay away from bad fat - Eat monounsaturated fat (avocado, olive oil, peanut butter, any kind of nuts) and polyunsaturated fat(these are the omega 3, omega 6 fat). Avoid saturated and transaturated fat.
    4) Eat 5-6 meals a day. If you don't know why, read:
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/bo...oss-tips-3.htm
    5) Drink 8-10 cups of WATER. Not fluids, but water. I also would recommend
    drinking 3-4 cups of milk a day because it provides protein and calcium.

That's it! Now, you may lose some overall bodyweight when you're losing fat, but just make sure most of it is fat loss, not muscle loss. You may want to follow step 1 again to gain more mass or if you're satisfied take a few photos and congratulate yourself.

Actually, it's probably a good idea to take photos throughout your program to measure your progress.

This isn't meant as an all-inclusive guide to bodybuilding, but a simple straightforward guide for anyone who wants to achieve the beach body, male model look.

Please rep me if you found this post helpful

- will

P.S. Please don't flame me and post those idiotic comments "WTF is wrong with you? Stupid pretty-boy giving advice on how to become those skinny models." If you don't like this post, then don't respond.
    Last edited by papple; 06-03-2006 at 06:59 PM.

ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    actually dude, this seems to be good advice on how to get lean generally. Anyone who knows me knws i despise the beach look but i see you have put a lot of effort into this work... so reps. Should get you out of 'teh red'
    Sam Parker
    First British lifter to total 1000kg raw
    420kg squat/260kg bench/340kg pull

nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nailed to the x has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    great post. so alot of people who want that look can look on here.
    NO, I won't play that game, where the clothes make the person and we all look the same. RIGHT NOW, I have no fear, 'cause the kids will see the truth and not how it appears

Hazman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    hmmmmm doesn thave my height on there....how much do you think a 5'3 person needs?

ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ukstrongman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Hazman
    hmmmmm doesn thave my height on there....how much do you think a 5'3 person needs?
    140-150 i would say but it has to be very low bf%, so you may have to get to a bulked 160 first!
    Sam Parker

seriosly....i cant be botherd to bulk tho, isnt there any other way, atm i have about 13% bf and weigh 137lbs can i gain some muscle weight through this?

seriosly....i cant be botherd to bulk tho, isnt there any other way, atm i have about 13% bf and weigh 137lbs can i gain some muscle weight through this?
    nope
    Sam Parker

Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Atom has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You cant be botherd to bulk... LMAO, Man get your **** to together and bulk to 160, honestly you'll be suprised how quick you could get there with dedication.
    Lift Hard, Lift Heavy, Lift Hardcore!

nah the thing is, i dont want to get fatter by bulking, thats all, because bulking leads to fat dont it?

Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by ukstrongman
    140-150 i would say but it has to be very low bf%, so you may have to get to a bulked 160 first!

Well I am around his height, but weigh somewhere between 130-135, maybe steady 135 now, and am pretty stocked. I would say you should bulk up to 140, maybe 150 and then train hard and cut a little and you should be there.
    1 Stripe Blue Belt, Gracie Barra BJJ (Reps to BJJ/MMA brahs)

Reps to USMC and other military members, Semper Fi

"If the bar ain't bendin' you're just pretendin."

but will i get fat from bulking.....because atm i look alright and dont want to end up fat......how long do you guys think it will take to get a beach body? thats nice and lean?

Exotic Bud Enthusiast TheStuddMuffin's Avatar
    TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Good post, but the weight & bodyfat comparison is way off.

An abercrombie model that is 5'6 with 6% bodyfat at 160lbs is no Abercrombie model.

Sorry, but I'm 5'7, just dropped down to 9% bodyfat, weighing 139 and I'm twice the muscle size as all of them.

It all seems way off.

This guy is 5'6 143 pounds, and 17 pounds of pure muscle to go to be an Abercrombie model? No.
    Attached Images

rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rizoN17 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It takes much more than 12 weeks to gain 20 lbs of lean body mass. I've been bulking for 12 weeks and I've gained probably only 12 lbs of lbm, and a hella lot of fat.
    member of the 1000lb club (ya rly)

Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Clean is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by TheStuddMuffin
    Good post, but the weight & bodyfat comparison is way off.

An abercrombie model that is 5'6 with 6% bodyfat at 160lbs is no Abercrombie model.

Sorry, but I'm 5'7, just dropped down to 9% bodyfat, weighing 139 and I'm twice the muscle size as all of them.

It all seems way off.

This guy is 5'6 143 pounds, and 17 pounds of pure muscle to go to be an Abercrombie model? No.

^^^He's right. Most models have somewhat chest, but it is mostly the abs that probably get them to be models in the first place. And if you workout hard, you are gonna surpass their small chest they have in no time and abs. So I wouldn't really say bulk, but just workout and depending on how you feel, bulk from there.

You will probably gain some fat by bulking, but it gets you up in weight so you can cut and be at a higher weight than before with the same bf% eventually. And if you bulk clean and eat clean foods, you will not get fat.

Edit: if you google them, those models aren't that big at all. It is mostly their faces that get them to be models in the first place an the a little above average bodies that go along with them.

http://www.desales.edu/assets/header...r/nick/d11.jpg

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgu...l%3Den%26lr%3D

http://www.mannersism.net/images/bee...eachboyhug.jpg

You guys sure as hell picked some gay ass role models to model yourselfs after.
    Last edited by Clean; 06-03-2006 at 04:28 PM.
    1 Stripe Blue Belt, Gracie Barra BJJ (Reps to BJJ/MMA brahs)

Reps to USMC and other military members, Semper Fi

"If the bar ain't bendin' you're just pretendin."

daaaayymm lol i cant eat clean though, just me really....cant help it lol, but 137lbs is what i am atm, so do you think just some working out would be enough to look good?

TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheStuddMuffin will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Never bulk to be a model.

It doesn't take much. All I say is do cardio 3 times a week 30-45 minutes with a circuit training 3 times a week.

Seriously, the model body is nothing special.

is it basically just working out the upper body and mainly chest for a model look?

is it basically just working out the upper body and mainly chest for a model look?
    Basically. I would just take up a circuit training if a model body was my desire.

what is circuit training? sorry im not that smart at bodybuilding yet, sooo can you tell me

Something like this would work great. 3 times a week.

Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Leg Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Leg Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Dumbbell Pullovers 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Barbell Overhead Shoulder Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Seated Rows 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Bench Press 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Barbell Bicep Curls 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Tricep Extensions 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Pullups 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Dips 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Standing Calf Raises 1 X 8 - 12 reps
    Weighted Crunches - 1 X 10 - 15 reps
    Weighted Leg Raises - 1 X 10-15 Reps
    Last edited by TheStuddMuffin; 06-03-2006 at 04:56 PM.

Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Pullups 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Dips 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    hmmmm sounds good but how heavy?

papple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol. If you're just going to do 1 set per exercise I assume you're going to warm-up and then perform each set to failure. So basically as heavy as you can go and still be in the rep range.

Originally Posted by papple
    lol. If you're just going to do 1 set per exercise I assume you're going to warm-up and then perform each set to failure. So basically as heavy as you can go and still be in the rep range.
    To have a model body you don't even have to do that.

As I said, 8-10 reps would be fine. But failure should definitely be on the 10th rep.

30 second break between each exercise.

Hard Work! Dedication! Mayweatherjr's Avatar
    Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Mayweatherjr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    hmmmm sounds good but how heavy?
    16000 for the squats
    3250 for the db shoulder press
    1200 for all the others
    www.mayweatherpromotions.com

Jason1770 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jason1770 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jason1770 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jason1770 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jason1770 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jason1770 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Jason1770 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I personally don't like the look of the beach body, but I thik that this looks looks like a good way to get one for the people that do.

K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Is it just me or does anybody find this whole thing ridiculous? Heres a news flash for some of you guys. If you're anywhere from the age of 15-19 with no prior lifting experience you aren't going to look like Doran Yates in a year...no matter how heavy you lift or how much you eat. Why are so many guys scared of becoming too massive? You aren't going to look like some freak in a year. So honestly if you guys want a "beach bod" just keep doing what you are have been doing all along. Eat clean, focus on compound lifts, and get plenty of rest. If you do this im sure most of you will gain quality mass and when you gain enough muscle eat at maintenence and don't change your routine.
    A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. But remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Roz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I try my hardest to get big, but I end up looking like a guy who only trains for the beach. The only tips I could give would be to trian like a bb'er, because thats what I'm doing and look at me.
    Attached Images

i eat babies for protein. DieHollywoodDie's Avatar
    DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    nah the thing is, i dont want to get fatter by bulking, thats all, because bulking leads to fat dont it?
    short term sacrifice for long term gains
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.
    Gain better overall fitness (strength, endurance, muscle)

"don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest."

K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500) K_muscle is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Roz
    I try my hardest to get big, but I end up looking like a guy who only trains for the beach. The only tips I could give would be to trian like a bb'er, because thats what I'm doing and look at me.
    This is exactly what I'm talking about. Your physique is great for 16. It drives me crazy how many skinny guys think they will end up looking like Mr. Olympia if they lift heavy and eat more protein. It's madness.
    A king may move a man, a father may claim a son. But remember that, even when those who move you be kings or men of power, your soul is in your keeping alone. When you stand before God you cannot say "but I was told by others to do thus" or that "virtue was not convenient at the time." This will not suffice. Remember that.

i eat babies for protein. DieHollywoodDie's Avatar
    DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) DieHollywoodDie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Squats 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Pullups 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    Dips 1 X 8 - 10 reps
    this is awful advice. ohh my god. if someone is looking for a 3day workout program, theres tons on here...just do the 5x5. stud muffin, unless you're mike mentzer, dont give out stupid "HIT" aka "****" workouts.
    NEW GOAL(s):
    Regain my strength.
    Put on 5 lbs of muscle.
    Gain better overall fitness (strength, endurance, muscle)

"don't give up, the beginning is always the hardest."