Fatloss with HalfRice.com mryoso's Avatar
    mryoso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

which one of these would be better

Wildcat33 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The 2nd one is better, but Impex equipment is pretty cheap and the lat tower is flimsy on the 2nd one. Both of those units are half cages with flat/incline/decline (FID) multi-purpose benches. If you check around on specs the cheap lat towers are often not rated for over 100 pounds, which makes them essentially worthless ... even a beginner will outgrow them in a matter of months. You'd be better off (and safer) getting a real 4 post power rack or power cage from a reputable manufacturer. A lat attachment could be bought with or added to a quality power rack later.

I actually have the bench in the 2nd URL, but not the cage with it. I use the bench with a Yukon power rack and am very happy with the rack. The Impex bench itself is cheaply made and nothing special, but it's adequate for my needs. I can feel the back of it flex a little when I work out with anything over 190 pounds. There are several of us who went through the research and legwork of purchasing home equipment recently, and we were given excellent advice by ctgblue and others ... see this thread for alot more information:

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showth...threadid=60531

Good luck!

Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50) Wreck will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Bump on what Wildcat said.

I bought the PWR5 about 6 months ago and will probably outgrow it in another year and a half, if not sooner. I just picked this (http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/0200.html) up and am doing unweighted chins right now. (I'll have to reinforce the sheetrock a bit when I move to weighted chins, but by that time I hope to have a chin/dip station.) Much better than the lat pulldowns on the tower, although I do use the tower for tri pushdowns. The bench that comes with it is also a little wimpy.

If you're in it for fitness, the PWR5 should do you fine, but if you eventually plan on pushing some serious weight you'll want something better, as Wildcat suggested.

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Yes, those that you are looking at are
    1. narrow
    2. not well supported
    3. light duty

this is ok if you are a little guy planning to stay little, but I know I could rip one of these apart with my bare hands.
    I MUCH prefer a pure power rack.
    YES they cost a little more, but you're not gonna have to upgrade.
    See the thread wildcat posted, we had a REAL Thorough discussion in there.
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

locally unavailable

hi there.. thanks for the replys....

ive done my research and previously read the threads you mentioned those were really great btw...

anyway, im in a very different situation as those equipment uve mentioned are either out of my price range or unavailAbe locally... these two were only the ones i could find in the local malls...

ive been to the gym on and off for the past two years and id like to get serious... the gym i go to is a bit far away, and its kinda difficult to drive after a 20rep squat lol! so id like to buy some equipment for my home...

im not that big... guess im a beginner...

are those two really crap? i can only bench around 130lbs! and squat like 170 ( front squats ) but i can do a lat pulldown of around 200... MAX...

would those two limit me? id be willing to spend a bit more for some quality equipment...

f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250) f*cking ecto has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    If your goal is to be bigger and stronger, then I donn't recommend that..,.

power rack

hmmm.. guess ill have to find more options...
    Last edited by mryoso; 11-21-2002 at 01:16 AM.

Most of my home gym equipment wasn't available locally either. Got my power rack, lat attachment, dip attachment, and bench online. Made my pinch block, calf block, and wrist roller out of cheap parts from the hardware store. I already had an Olympic EZ bar and straight bar with alot of plates, but any fitness retailer will sell them ... they are one thing we all need that is cost prohibitive to ship. Had a rowing machine given to me by a neighbor, and bought a like new Cardio Glide for $10 at a yard sale. Got a doctor's scale my parents picked up at a country auction. Picked up things like extra plates and knee wraps as I needed them. I'm in the market right now for a treadmill, manta ray, and some Captains of Crush grippers. My home gym has developed and is developing over time and yours will too.

Those two units you mention would hold your weights for bench and squat work, but probably would not for lat work. I doubt those two lat towers are rated for over 100 pounds. You also have no self spotter with those two ... very dangerous to lose balance if squatting alone with no spotter and you won't be able to go heavy or to failure on some of the major compound exercises. Notice too that the 2nd unit does not have a low pulley, which means you couldn't do much cable work with it other than lat pulldowns and triceps pressdowns.

You could look for used equipment too, places like Play It Again Sports have good used equipment and there is always alot of stuff on Ebay. It's just that if you go with one of these Impex units that in 6 months you'll probably be ready to sell it and wishing you'd gone with something sturdier. I did alot of research before buying and kept coming back to the FID bench/power rack that accepts attachments setup. They are the foundation of a complete home gym.

Best of luck with your decision.

thanks!

EMAILED IMPEX about the upper limit of these Benches...

-------------------------------------------------------------------
    The weight cap. on the PWR 5 and the PHC CAGE are:

Lat Bar 150 lbs
    Leg Developer 100 lbs
    Arm Curl !00 lbs
    Cage 600 lbs

Bench
    Incline and Decline 360 lbs
    Flat 600 lbs

The two models have the same weight capacities, but are a different designs.
    Thank you.
    ---------------------------------------------------------------------

aside from the LAT BAR everything seems to be okay. i dont think i could flat bench 600 pounds!ever lol... or even squat that much! rofl.. anyway..

ive gone to the mall already, the PWR 5 really looked strong, but you are right though.. no low pulley row.. also u got me thinking about the self spotter.

ive looked for more products available locally. found a multi bench and a power rack... from PROGYM... ever heard of them?

regarding your research, i know! i read all of them! Lol! at least those you posted here... i cant really order online, coz shipping costs to my county will be astronomical... keep you updated on what ill get!

thanks!

ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz ctgblue has the mod powerz
    Remember that the capacities are TOTAL WEIGHT INCLUDING YOU!
    I would look at a heavier bench without the lat and do pullups on a bar somewhere
    http://www.impex-fitness.com/proddet...WB+POWER+SURGE and then get a vkr chin dip station later http://www.impex-fitness.com/proddet...Number=TC+2000
    see, the power cage combos are MUCH heavier duty as far as lats go
    take a look at these:

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Fitnes...ction&linkid=3

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/4160.html

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/4500.html

http://www.newyorkbarbells.com/2200.html

http://www.fitnessfactory.com/Fitnes...ction&linkid=4

If you HAVE TO get one of the cheap ones, go for the one with the wider posts so you aren't cramped with your grip.
    Good luck
    lift big 2 get big
    Former NPC Masters Competitor
    Certified Personal Trainer
    Mod @ bodybuilding.com

Obesity related illness will account for more than 1/2 of all health care costs in the next few years.
    So why is the damn government waging war on the FITNESS Industry??

Before you criticize someone, try walking a mile in their shoes
    Then, you are a mile away AND, you have their shoes!

DIRECT WORDS FROM THE CEO....
    -Mods cannot do name changes
    -Mods cannot mass delete posts/threads

You would quickly exceed the weight limits of the lat bar, leg developer and preacher attachment. Leg developer was important to me when I ordered my bench, but now I don't even use it. Only squats, SLDLs, good mornings, and calf raises for leg work. Soon as you are able to do a couple sets of 8 chins the lat tower will become worthless for everything other than triceps pressdowns. Preacher attachments are useful, however that one has a low weight rating. I really wouldn't want to push the limits of fitness equipment, something breaking can easily lead to injury. Keep in mind too that these limits are stated for a resting weight. If a person were squatting 300 lbs and set the bar down hard on the holders alot more than 300 lbs of force would be exerted on the pins. Just another reason to have a considerably higher weight rating than the poundage one expects to use. The quality of steel that can be used to make equipment varies. Impex uses low grade steel, manufactures in China, and quality control is not always good on the welds/powdercoat/etc.

Where are you? If in Canada/Australia/Western Europe just about anything you want should be available local. I've heard of Progym but don't know anything about their equipment, I think they are a Taiwanese company?

Thumbs up PROGYM

hey guys i really appreciate your help...

back when i still went to the gym, all of the equipment used were branded PRO-GYM, incidentally the gym was named PRO-GYM, lol...

about them, i just called them up and inquired about their "multi-bench" and power rack. i had them fax a brochure of both. the fax looked really bad!

MAX Weight the bench would allow is:
    LAT ATTACHMENT : 200 lbs
    RACK : Unlimited
    ARM CURL : Unlimited
    et cetera : Unlimited

does that make sense? is it because they are commercial grade products? ive used an entire range of progym products, they arent exactly "beautiful" its like big bulky simple painted steel. not the really shiny high-tech looking ones full with stickers you find at a local sports shop. ( somehow a "beautiful" bench looks more inviting to work on... lol )

edit : the multibench cant do a decline. ive never done them by the way. does that matter? also im not sure if it could go 90degrees for a military press. but i could do that on our dining chair!

next is the POWER RACK. ( from the brochure : For advanced weight lifting. Close bar height adjustmnts to allow a variety of power exercises. Features safety stop and bar catch. Includes a chin up bar )

MAX LIMIT : 1000 lbs.

about the links you posted, they are really nice, thanks all. but i doubt these online companies will ship to the Philippines! i dont know if PRO-GYM is a taiwanese company or not.

One of the disadvantes is that it will take them 20 working days to have it delivered! by that time it would have been already christmas! lol! but they'll be doing the assembly of the thing, though. a big plus!

if somehow the multi-bench looks bad, id have to go with the power rack... but they cost just about the same. and the power rack doesnt come with anything! no lat attachment ( not strong enough for chins ) , no bench....

additionally i would like to ask about what plates id buy. like how many 20s how many 10s how many 5, lbs that is... coz i really have to make the most of my money!

thanks!
    Attached Images
    Last edited by mryoso; 11-21-2002 at 06:05 PM.

Often the big, bulky, low gauge, simple painted steel is the best equipment. My bench can decline, but I rarely use it. A 90 degree bench is nice for military press, but military press can be done standing or sitting on a bench without back support ... just don't go quite as heavy.

You might try looking up fitness equipment dealers or importers in Manila, may find one with a good selection in stock that can be shipped cheaply. Assembly is usually easy with just a few simple tools like Allen wrenches and a socket wrench set. That's an interesting rack in the attached drawing. Looks like a good design, other than not having a chinup bar and support bars on top. It was probably designed like that on purpose to fit into rooms with low ceilings. Usually the cheapest and best way to get plates is to get a 300 pound Olympic set, and the sets generally come with an Olympic straight bar. Any fitness retailer should have the 300 pound sets for $100-150 US dollars.

here it is!

lol!
    the bench finally arrived!

the service was very very very lousy! anyone from manila wanting to deal with progym beware! i have not come across a more disrespectul, discourteous and stupid company in my life!

good thing the bench was nice although they delivered it without the bar collars... grrrr...

here it is!
    Attached Images

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: here it is!

Originally posted by mryoso
    lol!
    the bench finally arrived!

the service was very very very lousy! anyone from manila wanting to deal with progym beware! i have not come across a more disrespectul, discourteous and stupid company in my life!

good thing the bench was nice although they delivered it without the bar collars... grrrr...

here it is!
    They sure took their time! Good thing you finally got it, in any case. I would have thought that it would be easier than that in the Philippines, since a ton of benches sold here in the USA are made in China (as were most of my plates and all my hex DBs). Ship out of Macau, drop some containers full of benches in Manila, then set sail for here, but what do I know.

I bet you don't want to do that again anytime soon, at least not with that company.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam

im quite sure they made this thing here. i mean made locally. i went to their factory and ordered directly there thinking it would be better and cheaper... anyway, i will never ever again deal with this company! service was so bad that my patience was really pushed to the limit! it was quite unnerving... hehehe...

okay enough with that, i get upset if i think about it.... hehhehe..

anyway, any comments on the bench?

thanks for all your help too!

MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500) MiloMan is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well. it actually looks pretty good to me, and it's a hell of a lot better and safer than squatting off of a pair of stands. I can't put my hands on it, but it looks functional, and it'll do just about anything you need.
    aut viam inveniam aut faciam