Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Functional Strength

could you guys list some lifts that are good for functional strength?
    if you'd list your personal top 5 would be great so I can get everyones input

so far I've HEARD that Drag Curls are good for it (going to find out as I will be adding them to my workout)

also I would imagine deadlifts are good and farmers walks

what else we got?
    I want to be massivly strong

think this could find it's way to becoming a sticky?

Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Kane Fan is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    man I just had a strange idea
    I dunno how this would be for functioning strength or in general but what if you did a program like this

O lifting
    P lifting

Clean and Jerks
    Squats
    Deadlifts
    Bench Press
    Snatch

how would that be for a workout?
    would it build good functional strength
    it seems like biceps and lats might be a tad left out
    any thoughts?

!Karins Xtreme Powerwear! Deejay_Spike's Avatar
    Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    that would be great for functional strength.

i'd also add power cleans and chins.

that would be great.

BUT if you want the crème de la crème regarding functional strength... read Renegade Training by Coach J. Davies

brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10)

brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10) brute strength is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    http://www.strongerman.com/articles.html

may want to add zercher squats to the list

pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) pazza has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    ABS!!!!!!!

if you have very strong abs you will be a very strong person.

The power of rotation!

I would say Wood Chops as the top as exercises along with Saxon Side Bends.

Monte Cristo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Unless you have some coaching, the olympic lifts are difficult to learn. If you
    don't have coaching I would substitute
    the power clean and push press for the
    C&J and the power snatch for the olympic
    style snatch.

Don't get me wrong, the Olympic lifts have produced some of the strongest people the world has seen, but
    you cannot improve functional strength if
    you are injured.

You can do yourself a lot of good with the excercises listed in this thread, but you can and should change excercises or hand or foot positions on what you do.
    The body adapts quickly to an excercise
    and gains slow down. You need to cycle
    rep schemes also.

Functional strength means that one is
    strong in many areas and not just competitive lifts. Variety work on basic
    excercises is key.

I have heard it put this way, that for
    strength, lifting on your own to feet
    with you own two hands is best.

Also, in most every excercise or demonstration of strength, if you can't
    hold onto it, you can't lift it. Work your
    grip, wrists and forearms.

Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Deejay_Spike has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Monte Cristo, that is one hell of a good post! one of the best i've seen!

btw, you inspired me to change widths, foot positions and stuff meself !

that proves that post count has nothing to do with the quality of what you say.

Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Powerlifter16 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    List of my favorite functional strengh exercises:

Clean and Press
    Snatch
    Powerclean
    Split Clean
    Clean
    Tire flips
    York Carry
    Farmers Walk
    Deadlift
    Turkish Getups
    Seated Z-lift
    Standing Z-lift
    Military press
    Jump Squats
    Old fashion hack squats
    Db snatch
    Straight leg deadlift
    Saxon Bends
    Overhead Squat
    Rock Carry
    Snatch Deadlifts

thats just a small list of my favorite exercieses!!!

sticky sticky sticky sticky !!!

thanks for all the advice guys this is sweet as ****

I liked that strongerman.com thing I love bears and there are lil bears along the side

I don't know what a lot of these lifts are

farmers walk I know
    what's a york walk
    for instance
    Last edited by Kane Fan; 12-15-2002 at 11:52 PM.

Deejay_Spike

Thanks!

Kane Fan, I am guessing here, but I think
    the poster meant, Yoke carry, not, York carry,

Couple of links:

http://www.bodybuilding.com/fun/strongman22.htm

http://www.fitlike.net/gym/strongman/wism/rules.htm

Basically, in the Yoke carry the lifter has a
    bar across the shoulders with weight suspended from the bar at either end.
    The lifter then walks/runs a course for time. ( A barbell loaded in the usual way would NOT be suitable because the center of gravity is too high and walking, let alone running, would be dangerously unbalanced.)

This event has often been featured
    on the TV broadcast of the Worlds Strongest Man Competition. I would
    be very careful if I tried that one and work up slowly.

zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000)
    A photo of me, doing the yoke walk w/ 450:
    Last edited by zackdarnell; 12-16-2002 at 07:23 AM.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sizz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally posted by zackdarnell
    A photo of me, doing the yoke walk w/ 450:
    cool.. how much did the yoke cost? what are your lifts?

zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000) zackdarnell is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally posted by sizz
    cool.. how much did the yoke cost? what are your lifts?
    I was at a friends house, so I dont know how much it cost him. I'm a powerlifter, and this is the first time I trained any strongman events (it was on Saturday). My lifts are:
    Squat- 485
    Bench- 295
    Deadlift- 475

All done about 3 weeks ago, all are gym lifts. I've got more pics from my day of strongman tarining...if you like, I can post them all in a new thread.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

Here is my list of functional strength exercises:
    Deadlift
    Squat
    Bench
    PowerClean
    Push Press
    Any strongman events (yoke walk/tire flip/atlas stones/Viking Press/log press/farmers walk/etc.)
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

yeah that would be cool Zack! Glad to have you here man

Originally posted by Deejay_Spike
    yeah that would be cool Zack! Glad to have you here man
    Glad to be here. I'll post in another thread.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000)
    most strength in the real world comes from pulling or holding things, just keep that in mind...how much a day do you use your biceps?? now how much do you use your triceps?? biceps are worked more, alot more.....someone may curl 440 very doubtful anyone will ever do an exstension with that much weight however i'm sure it could be done
    I've seen a 15 year old deadlift 440 lbs. first time ever touching a weight
    I've witnessed a begginer increase there total 350 lbs. the first month
    I myself can show you men bench pressing 821 lbs. men deadlifting nearly 940 lbs. men squatting 1104 lbs.
    Powerlifting the sport of imposibility to Bodybuilders everywhere

Whats my post workout drink? half a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 7 sounds about right

firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    p0w3rlift3r is correct biceps strength is essential for real world activities as are strong fingers and wrists. Even the ability to do pec dec with lots of weight carries over into hugging things to pick them up. In every day life few people ever work their triceps very hard but they certainly do work biceps.

Functional strength Exercizes I would consider to be

Keg deadlift, upright row, and carry from handles

Weightstack deadlift

Spider Deadlift

Atlas Stone lifts

Heavy one arm upright row, for being able to lift any dumbell up to a platform or counter to show off with ease.

Farmers walk with two dumbells

Farmers walk with one dumbell

Heavy trash can carry using a giant trashcan used by automated garbage truck machines. Fill it with great sums of weight lift it up and carry from handles.

One arm claw lifts where you pick up things with your fingers almost fully extended and your palm down. When you can pick up a mini cannonball or other heavy item this way you will have functional strength no?

One arm roof shingle bundle lifts with pinch grip.

One arm roof shingle bundle deadlifts and raise where you put it up on a platform.

Whellbarrow runs with heavy things

One arm wheelbarrow runs or working towards that by moving one arm off one handle and only as a support for the other arm.

And of course you have exotic functional strength exercizes too like the buger flick for distance

Also things like shoveling, and splitting thick logs axe swing by axe swing.

Thick firewood carry and the multiple small firelog carry for balance and stabalizers.

Keep in mind that almost all deadlift activites in the real world of odd shaped items involve the biceps a great deal.

thanks guys this post is awsome
    now if only it would become......

STICKY!!!!

is there a place to buy atlas stones or do you have to use plaster and make your own?
    I saw a link about making one of plaster or cement awhile ago

firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250) firstmark has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Check out http://strongmanequipment.com/steel_stones.cfm a steel round atlas stone that you can add weight to. They even rent molds so you can make your own atlas stones.

Also see http://www.atomicathletic.com/shop/t...roducts&grp=43

p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000) p0w3rlift3r is just really nice. (+1000)
    just keep it bumped for awhile it isn't sticky material
    I've seen a 15 year old deadlift 440 lbs. first time ever touching a weight
    I've witnessed a begginer increase there total 350 lbs. the first month
    I myself can show you men bench pressing 821 lbs. men deadlifting nearly 940 lbs. men squatting 1104 lbs.
    Powerlifting the sport of imposibility to Bodybuilders everywhere

Whats my post workout drink? half a bottle of Jack Daniels No. 7 sounds about right

Anybody ever done keg hammer curls or keg upright rows?

Originally posted by firstmark
    Anybody ever done keg hammer curls or keg upright rows?
    Do you mean doing curls and upright rows with a keg? I havent, but any keg work (other than drinking) is excellent for strength.
    --Zack
    www.FortifiedIron.com
    forums.FortifiedIron.com

Yes with a keg I tried the movements with an empty keg and they are doable.

: O (
    is too sticky material

Has anyone ever tried moving large "single occupant" reclining furniture chairs by yourself. Lifting like that is unique too.

yes
    I once wowed a group of friends by personally carrying a big stuffed chair over/on my head
    couldn't get it in the door myself tho
    carried it pretty far actually
    from one appartment to the other
    was helping them move

Now if one could rig a place to put weights on such a chair I think a new cool form of progressive exercize can be done.