gympian has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking NEED help for making the football team!

Im going to go into highschool next year and im going to be on the varsity football team but I need some help (no grade 9 has ever made it ). Since im going to be facing grade 12's I really need to toughen up over summer.

I have no clue how strong the average grade 12 is, so if anyone could give me some stats of them from when they were I would really appreciate it.

Could anyone tell me what parts of my body to work on so I can take the hits and hopefully take some of them down? Any help is appreciated. I am probably going to be playing defensive.
    what do you do when your fighting a dragon?

ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ryan12192 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    american football or soccer?
    5"6
    142lb

DEADLIFT: 130kg x3
    BENCH: 82.5kg x3
    SQUAT:100kg x1 (bare in mind ive only just started squats)

Goals-
    After summer

150-55lb
    Deadlift-140kg x+1
    Bench-90+kg x1+
    Squat-over 130kg x1+

About 12% BF (less if anything)

on the usual bulking diet 5-7 meals a day.
    im on...ON 100% whey gold ;) (strawberry :D)post workout, 1 scoop (plus a tin of tuna)

Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gympian
    Im going to go into highschool next year and im going to be on the varsity football team but I need some help (no grade 9 has ever made it ). Since im going to be facing grade 12's I really need to toughen up over summer.

I have no clue how strong the average grade 12 is, so if anyone could give me some stats of them from when they were I would really appreciate it.

Could anyone tell me what parts of my body to work on so I can take the hits and hopefully take some of them down? Any help is appreciated. I am probably going to be playing defensive.
    Well you need to say what position... its not like offensive linemen and wide recievers have the same lifts.....

american football,

probably linebacker but i want to be a defensive tackle

im 6'4 right now 203 pounds of lean muscle mass

Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10) Left Coast is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Youd be like the biggest on my schools team... is the school you are attending known for football? anway the best i can reccomend is squats deadlifts bench and wind sprints

Unhappy other teams

ty left coast,

my school's football team sucks, but i want to turn that around lol

i dont know why my school doesn't care much about sports but every other highschool where I live here has some pretty awesome teams (some scouts around here from the CFL go to highschool games)

If you really take football seriously you should try and enroll into one of the better schools then.

cant gov wont let you move into public schools away from your own "area" here

mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10) mesayseo is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    id say
    bench helps keep off blockers not as important as other lifts.
    squats huge leg drive and leverage are key in football.
    deadlifts and power cleans strong back and cleans help develop not create but develop your fast twitch muscle fibers.
    core abs dont know why but i know its more important then people think.
    dips are good for upperbody strength.
    shouldershrugs
    the most important physical attribute in football is how fast you are get faster by doing sprints.
    good luck

exactly what i wanted to hear

ty very much mesay

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Left Coast
    Well you need to say what position... its not like offensive linemen and wide recievers have the same lifts.....
    what lifts should a WR be doing?
    Ravens fan and Gators fan 4 life

***Florida Gators Crew***

Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50) Richoss will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Strength of year 12s varies between areas. Like for example, at my school, the yr12s aren't that strong, but there are some strong ones at surrounding schools. So I am sorry but I can not help with the stats.

Your position is a linebacker, so I am not completely up to par with american football but I think they are the guys at the line of scrimage (spelling, sorry). Their main duty is bascially block the opposition. Here are a couple of my ideas...

You stated that you are 203lbs, that is a good size I believe. The best way to become a better linebacker is to improve both dynamic movement, and static movement.

If you are wondering "Why static?" From what I have seen, blocking is alot of static holding. The muscle lengths do not change compared to other movements. So when you are blocking, you are trying to make sure you don't move, and make sure they don't move anyway. So you want to hold them there.

I'm sitting here thinking about static and a few ideas popped into my head. You can find a good isometric workout somewhere, and do that. You can also do squats, but instead of just going straight back up, lighten the load a little bit and hold it in the bottom-phase for 8-10secs. Another idea which may or may not work, I am unsure, but do you have access to a car? If you do, drive it to a very low slope, but enough to make it roll a little bit, and basically try and hold the car there.

Also, as people have meantioned earlier, doing the basic big lifts such as
    - Squats
    - Deadlifts
    - Benchpress
    - Barbell Row
    Will help improve overall strength.

Make sure you work the core aswell, that includes the abdominals and lower back. This helps you maintain balance when pushing and being pushed. It also helps keep the centre-of-gravity in the centre.

Linebackers can also benefit from small sprints of about 5-20yd in several starting positions, eg standing, crouched.

Hope I have helped you a little bit mate. I have repeated what some others have said but it needs to be repeated.

Best of Lick

--Richoss

Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
    I will make this quick. If you really want to know the best lifts are? They are explosive lifts. The wide reciever is best built for speed, and strength is not a real issue. I am not saying do not lift, but you do not need a bulky upper-body and IFFB quadriceps.

Just maintain agilie, quick of the first few steps and the speed endurance. Throw in some powercleans, high cleans, snatch etc and you should be just about right.

--Richoss

Originally Posted by RavensFan2k3
    I mean same wieght and what not.. recievers should still be doing all the main lifts just you dont wanna be all burly and what not. squats and lots and lots of sprints are good for WR... Basically full lower body and core since you wanna be fast and able to jump high

Shitin' and Miscin' teriyakisaki's Avatar
    teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000) teriyakisaki is just really nice. (+1000)
    barring that you aren't full of ****, as long as you have some decent football talent, i see no reason why you shouldnt be playing on varsity (except for maybe age requirements). in the weight room, especially for backers its all about explosiveness via deadlifts and cleans, leg power through squats, and a lot of chest work to be able to get off blocks.

ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) ABaby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    cant gov wont let you move into public schools away from your own "area" here
    Prep school then if you can.

I find it hard to believe you're 14, 6'4, and 203 serious about football but you are going to a ****ty public school and asking how to make the varsity team.

ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) ajn is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    "I find it hard to believe you're 14, 6'4, and 203 serious about football but you are going to a ****ty public school and asking how to make the varsity team."

I find that hard to believe also. If you're really 203 pounds of muscle mass and 6'4 the coaches should be chasing after you.

response lol

Originally Posted by ajn
    "I find it hard to believe you're 14, 6'4, and 203 serious about football but you are going to a ****ty public school and asking how to make the varsity team."

I find that hard to believe also. If you're really 203 pounds of muscle mass and 6'4 the coaches should be chasing after you.
    lol ill get some pics up throughout summer i know it doesnt sound believeable to some people

i don't really mind what school im going to just want to play football like my dad ( he was realllly pro lol )

ty anyway for all of the responses i have been getting here