911TurboS has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How long does it take to build muscle?

I want to set high goals but also realistic. I have no idea really how long it would take to put on 10, 20, 30lbs of muscle. If I am sticking to a good diet and using the Max-OT workout, what should I expect to gain in 3 months?

You can see my current stats below. ~thanks!

As you can see I have along way to go!

Biceps-Triceps: 11 inches
    Forearms: 10 inches
    Calves: 14 inches
    Thighs: 21 inches
    Waist: 32 inches
    Abs: 31 inches
    Chest: 34 inches
    Weight: 145lbs
    BF%: 11.3%

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    This is highly variable upon genotype, experience (namely fitness level), diet, and the Will to achieve. In that sense, I know none of this about you. Stop worrying about how much you're going to put on and worry about putting up the barbell every workout with more weight.

This question begs for my obligatory newbie post.

Go read about training theory; the works must include the words: frequency, volume, load, and periodization. Additionally, citations are very valuable towards indicating whether or not the text is valid and reputable. And no, muscle magazines are not scholarly sources.

Scour the Internet (preferably libraries) for articles and books by folks such as Mark Rippetoe, Lon Kilgore, Glenn Pendlay, Dave Tate, Louie Simmons, Vladimir Zatsiorsky, Mel C. Siff, Tudor Bompa, and any names they may mention. Remember to mine bibliographies for further information.

On this forum, Keethnab, VikingMan, RipStone, Andrew.Cook, Ironaddict, all_pro, Madcow2 are people whose words you should pay close attention to. This is not a comprehensive list, but generally speaking, if posters are articulate and reasonably precise in communicating what they would intend to then they are usually intelligent and are probably data mines, so follow their posts (with the exception being HIT gurus because I just don’t like them). Be courteous and keep PMs to a minimum as I'm willing to bet my make believe farm that 99.8% of the time, your question has already been answered. Make the effort to search in an unobtrusive manner. You’ll learn more as you go along anyhow.

Once you have gone through enough information to have an idea of how the training theory model works (and can use the above mentioned terms properly), then it is the time to ask questions, because at this point you know enough so that in your questions we all may learn something in trying to answer it. Not that I made it, but I should hope that this forum was intended to be reciprocal.

If a beginner lifter, please specifically seek out the text: “Starting Strength” by Mark Rippetoe. Even for the advanced lifter there is a wealth of important information to be obtained from within. It can be purchased at www.startingstrength.com or www.amazon.com

As the saying by some guy I don’t know goes: “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime.”

Now go learn and become a better human.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    going by your post and measurments you sound like a beginner.....if that is the case then i would highly NOT recommend max-ot.....stick to a basic beginners routine for 2-3 months......

this means lifting 3 days a week m-w-f.....do about 3-4 exersises per workout.....and workout for 45-60 mins per session using mostly dumbells where u can.......

gains are totally reliant on your diet......gains are only as good as your diet.....if you eat well, and eat ENOUGH then 30 pounds is realistic in your first year of lifting......after that progress will slow down

Originally Posted by Mikey1
    going by your post and measurments you sound like a beginner.....if that is the case then i would highly NOT recommend max-ot.....stick to a basic beginners routine for 2-3 months......

this means lifting 3 days a week m-w-f.....do about 3-4 exersises per workout.....and workout for 45-60 mins per session using mostly dumbells where u can.......

gains are totally reliant on your diet......gains are only as good as your diet.....if you eat well, and eat ENOUGH then 30 pounds is realistic in your first year of lifting......after that progress will slow down

Everrything I have read about the Max-OT workout says it is good for beginners. I have been working out for 3 months but I still consider my self a beginner of course.

Only 30 lbs in 12 months? I have heard 20lbs in 3 months...?

Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000) Mikey1 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by 911TurboS
    you have been lifting for 3 months already......have you gained 20 pounds?

chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10) chubs001 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Everrything I have read about the Max-OT workout says it is good for beginners. I have been working out for 3 months but I still consider my self a beginner of course.

The only way to gain 20lbs in 3 months short of talking roids is to EAT EAT EAT!!!!!!!!!!! But about 1/4 of that will be fat :-)
    Any information I give is only fictional and should not be taken seriously.

Originally Posted by Mikey1
    you have been lifting for 3 months already......have you gained 20 pounds?

I gained 10lbs. I only had time to go 2 days a week so I did a full-body workout on those days. I also only used machines and never did anything real heavy or strenuous.

Now I have the time to learn how to use free-weights and eat a ton of food.

needhelpfast has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i ate a ton o food lotsa protein with a 5day split (one major mucle group a day, no abs). and gained 30lbs in 3 months. Now im a bit fatter but i knew id get fat so i just have to run again

aeronautica86 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Couple OT questions, where in Texas are you located and do you actually drive a 911 turbo, and if so what year? Just curious as I am also in Texas and a Porsche fan, though I'm a 944 turbo guy.

want to look good naked sublimelaxer's Avatar
    sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    To gain 30 pounds in 3 months you would have to eat about 1200 cals above maintenance(sp?) per day. I really doubt that half of it would be muscle.
    Last edited by sublimelaxer; 05-29-2006 at 06:43 AM.

Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Dan666 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

I dont know man

About 50 years, wait no, IT DEPENDS

coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50) coco-nut will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I want to set high goals but also realistic. I have no idea really how long it would take to put on 10, 20, 30lbs of muscle. If I am sticking to a good diet and using the Max-OT workout, what should I expect to gain in 3 months?

What do you mean by a "good diet"
    I probably can't beat you up... but at least I look like I can.

Registered User King_Coldsteele's Avatar
    King_Coldsteele has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

well judging from your weight gain goals, it maytake ATLEAST a year of gradual increasing weight training, and withthe right supplementation, you can cut about 3/10 or 4/10 of the time of gains, and your musclular arsenal is quite impressive.

Question

Thanks for the responses!

Now I have another question... How much does muscle weigh? I will use this guy for reference. If he were the same height as me, 5'9", how much would he weigh? Before anyone says anything, I don't expect to look like this guy anytime soon. This would be my ultimate goal years down the road.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...m/Alton_01.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v2...m/Alton_02.jpg

~thanks again!

mushrambo has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I've just started weightlifting (started 2 months ago), and so far i gained 10 kg, which is probably around 22 pounds? Noob gains though lol.

Registered User King_Coldsteele's Avatar
    King_Coldsteele has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Now I have another question... How much does muscle weigh? I will use this guy for reference. If he were the same height as me, 5'9", how much would he weigh? Before anyone says anything, I don't expect to look like this guy anytime soon. This would be my ultimate goal years down the road.

~thanks again!
    actually that depends on how tall you are, but what else i know is that muscle is heavier than fat,so if u keep lifting, yyou'll weigh more than you used to, but in a good way becasue muscle comes from activity, and fat comes from INactivity

want to look good naked sublimelaxer's Avatar
    sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) sublimelaxer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

~thanks again!
    I know a guy about your heighth that looks like that that weighs about 175. The low bodyfat % makes him look bigger though.

chestersteven has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Muscle takes a long time to build. For the first year it will be very slow... aim for 1lb a month of muscle mass gain, ignore other people telling you all this weight increase they have had. The second year and onwards will be even slower... putting on muscle is so so slow.

The question really is, are you willing to put in the effort regardless of how many lb per month people tell you? If so, it no longer matters, just enjoy lifting and enjoy the journey.

AllGainz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You can expect about two pounds a month when you first start. Unless you are on the Juice.

__________________________________________________ __________________________________________________ ____________

It is better to be pissed off than pissed on.