jazzyb88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Protein Shake After Workout Question

Hi all,

I had a quick question to ask: After training, what sort of time-frame should i be looking at for my intake of protein?

Usually after training, i take the protein straight away but sometimes i get a little delayed and i may even take it 1 hour after training.

How badly will this affect my gains?

Thanks

bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    No longer than 30 minutes. It's pretty important - cortisol can be very detrimental to gains.
    Admin at True Sport Supplements Inc.

B.S. Nutrition and Performance
    M.S. Exercise Physiology

Exercise Physiologist, Certified Personal Trainer
    Supplement Distributor and Athlete Promoter

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    You have a one hour window as a general rule of thumb.
    "If a kid asks where rain comes from, I think a cute thing to tell him is "God is crying." And if he asks why God is crying, another cute thing to tell him is "Probably because of something you did."

rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by dbx
    You have a one hour window as a general rule of thumb.
    Thoughts on this?

http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=659666

4. There’s a one-hour window of opportunity for protein synthesis following a workout.

You may be wondering: is this a myth because the real window is half an hour? Two or 3 hours? Maybe 6 hours? Sadly, in the past 2 weeks I’ve read different articles, all suggesting that the "window" is one of the above lengths of time.

It’s not surprising that with this type of inconsistency that this is probably the most pervasive myth in bodybuilding today! Worse yet, it stems directly from the scientific research itself. The most often cited research on the protein synthetic post workout window, used elderly subjects (Esmark et al., 2001) and cardio exercise findings (Levenhagen et al., 2001) to make their predictions. While this is a completely acceptable practice when these are the only data we have to go on, there are a couple noteworthy problems.

Elderly individuals digest and absorb protein differently than healthy adults. In fact, they digest and absorb whey protein in a similar manner as they do casein (Dangin et al., 2003); in other words they have slow digestion and absorption for whey. Elderly also benefit from having 80% of their daily protein consumed at a single sitting (Arnal et al., 1999), in contrast to the benefits of our multiple feedings.

Additionally, the traditionally referenced Esmark et al. (2001), study showed that consuming the post workout meal just 2 hours after working out actually prevented any improvements induced by the training! Figure that one out and you get a prize.

Secondly, with regards to cardio…well, let’s just say that there’s an obvious difference between how our muscles respond to the two forms of exercise. Bear in mind that with regard to carbohydrate metabolism following a workout, there might not be much of a difference—we just don’t know, but certainly the long-term protein metabolism differences can be seen.

So now what are we supposed to base our nutrition on? Enter the most underrated scientific paper in the last 5 years. Tipton and colleagues (2003) examined responsiveness of protein synthesis for a day after a workout, and found it to reflect a 24 hour enhanced level. That’s right folks, a FULL DAY! This means that having a morning shake will have the same impact on muscle protein synthesis as one consumed following the workout!

These results shouldn’t be too surprising because we’ve known for over a decade that postworkout protein synthesis is jacked up for this long (MacDougall et al., 1995), but if you’re discovering this for the first time, then it’s pretty exciting!

Some research suggests that even 48 hours after the workout our protein synthesis levels can be elevated by ~33% (Phillips et al., 1997), giving us an even longer period during which we can maximize our muscle growth with protein drinks.

jazzyb88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks for the replies guys. I just take two bottles now and then take one shot of protein after weight training, wait 10 mins or so and then do cardio. When i get back, i take another shot of protein.

bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bignpisst has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Yes no more than an hour but as soon as possible
    Hero worship is unhealthy and cucklike