gigem has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

new training program....

For the past year my training program has looked like this

MONDAY/THURSDAY
    chest, back, legs

WEDNESDAY
    off

TUESDAY/FRIDAY
    Biceps, Triceps, shoulders

SATURDAY/SUNDAY
    off

I was thinking of of switching to a program where I train each muscle group once a week, on different days.

Monday: chest
    Tuesday: arms
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday: shoulders
    Friday: Back

My question is this: if i make this switch I'll only be training each muscle group once a week. Where as before I was training each muscle group twice a week. Will I lose strength, size, or definition if I make the switch to only training each muscle group once a week?

I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    I believe frequency is key, so twice a week is better. But thats just me, you may be different.

If you are set on once a week per muscle group then check out MAX-OT. I don't believe muscles can be seperated, instead I think the body works via planes of movement. But MAX-OT has proven to be a good program for many so give it a look.
    Last edited by JoeyTS; 05-25-2006 at 02:50 PM.
    Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

I sweat BCAAs and sea H2O JoeyTS's Avatar
    JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) JoeyTS is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Did the work for ya... LINK

Upper/Lower program write-up:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=160554001&p=1215242691&viewfull=1#post1215242691

RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000) RipStone is just really nice. (+1000)
    How were your results on your old routine? I ask because IMO the old routine is kinda flawed, but if it worked, then it's hard to argue with results.

Anyway, IMO more frequency is better. That is, the more times you train a muscle group per week, the more oppurtunity for growth. A great way to train a muscle group 2x a week is using an upper/lower body split. For example...

Mon: upper
    Tu: lower
    Th: upper
    Fri: Lower

You could even get a little more "fancy" and devote one day for each upper and lower to strength and one day for each upper and lower for size. So on strength days you would do 3-5 sets of 1-5 reps, using a high intensity load. On sie days you would use 2-4 sets of 6-12 reps, using a lower intensity load, and taking shorter rest between sets.

Just an idea.
    My Training Journal...

http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=608812

"Chris = Awesomeness" :)

Check out...

http://www.redpointfitness.com/

IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by gigem
    I was thinking of of switching to a program where I train each muscle group once a week, on different days.

Monday: chest
    Tuesday: arms
    Wednesday: legs
    Thursday: shoulders
    Friday: Back
    Not bad. I would suggest doing legs on Monday since many of the guys in your gym will probably be doing chest on Monday. I'd also suggest separating legs and back by another day or so, but this is just my preference (if my legs are a bit sore it is much harder to do some back work such as bent-over rows). Finally, and again just personal preference, I'd suggest splitting upper and lower legs (do calves on a separate day from quads/hams). The reason is that I like to do heavy lying calf raises (on the leg press machine), and this is difficult if I've just bombed my quads and hams with squats and stiff-leg deads.

Also, no ab work? Just curious.

So, for what it's worth, something like this might be more along the lines of how I would tweak your split:

M: Quads/Hams
    T: Arms
    W: Chest/Traps
    T: Back/Abs
    F: Delts/Calves

Originally Posted by gigem
    My question is this: if i make this switch I'll only be training each muscle group once a week. Where as before I was training each muscle group twice a week. Will I lose strength, size, or definition if I make the switch to only training each muscle group once a week?
    Well of course your gains, or lack of gains, will depend on a number of things. With the reduced frequency some might suggest you increase the intensity, the weight used, etc. That may be a good suggestion, I don't know without knowing more about you. Of course your results will also depend on diet, rest, and other things (as I am sure you know).

I find the answers to your questions depend a lot on the person. A friend of mine trains each bodypart twice a week with a good amount of volume, and he's got a fantastic physique. I personally do much better with at least 7 days rest between training each bodypart. It depends on the individual.

Get out there and try it out and see what happens. Keep good logs on your strength and your measurements and adjust as necessary.

Good luck!

IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50) IH8CARDIO will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by RipStone
    Good post.

1) If it ain't broke...

2) While I enjoy higher intensity and lower volume/frequency, I am currently seeing some interesting (great) results with a modified WS4SB routine which is similar to what RipStone here is laying out ("Max Effort" upper and lower, and "Repetition" upper and lower).

Anyway, you're getting some good ideas, let us know what you decide to do.