Dvo Viking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dvo Viking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Heavy weights and older tendons..

I am a 50 year old female, and lift heavy, but 'figure' heavy. My doctor told me that he's seen older patients who have torn the muscle from the bone because while the muscle mass can grow, the tendons may become too brittle to keep up. I don't see this as being a problem, but wondered if anyone had heard this or could recommend reading material?

Thanks,
    Donna
    DvoViking

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't have any reading material or specific references, but I learned long ago from a master runner that the body adapts to exercise in this order...

1. Cardiorespiratory.
    2. Muscles and bones.
    3. Tendons and ligaments.

So if you try to lift too heavy too fast, you could wind up with injuries. Ripping the muscle from the bone? It's happened in powerlifting competition My chiro was the sports doc at a meet and tended to a lifter whose quad muscle tore from the bone. But I'm not so sure it's that easy to do for the rest of us. Tendonitis is pretty common, but if you use good form and don't lift more than you are presently capable of, I don't think you'll have any problem.

Most doctors tend to be clueless in the realm of weight training. I had (operative word: had) a doctor who told me to stop lifting and run. Running was better for the heart and would make the legs strong.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

Dvo Viking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dvo Viking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Thanks, Minotaur. That's kind of what I was thinking.

love your quotes, by the way, good sense of humor!
    Last edited by Dvo Viking; 05-26-2006 at 04:27 AM.

My pronouns are bro/brah Tommy W.'s Avatar
    Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tommy W. has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    D Vike,

Yes, it does happen. Usually with older people who started training later and jumped in too hard too soon.
    Your muscles become stronger at a faster rate than the tendons can adapt. The longer you have been training, the more you tend to listen to your body and use common sense.

Cheers! TW

Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Dvo Viking
    I am a 50 year old female, and lift heavy, but 'figure' heavy. My doctor told me that he's seen older patients who have torn the muscle from the bone because while the muscle mass can grow, the tendons may become too brittle to keep up.
    DvoViking
    Also make sure that you drink a lot of water and certain supplements help the joints and tendons, incl. glucosamine sulfate, MSM, celedrin, and fish oil capsules.

Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Dutchman is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Welcome Dvo Viking. The slow and easy gradual approach is an absolute must. That said, the "Don't lift heavy" is a crock of you-know-whatsis! I added a couple of sensational herbs (Cissus RX and Celadrin)to my supplementation and they both helped me recover from Rotator Cuff problems and helped my joints so that I lift very heavy with no pain whatsoever.
    Dutch

For four generations my family has answered the call and served as needed from Europe to Asia to 9/11. We will gladly stand and fight again to preserve our freedom from tyranny.

yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000) yellowrv is just really nice. (+1000)

Heavy lifting and tendon/ligament damage

Welcome DVO- One thing to be cautious of is your bone density. In women particularly, osteoporosis can be a factor. There are many ways to have your bone density checked, ask your MD. Otherwise, if you have a good lifting base 1-3 yr minimum, progress poundages slowly, and are very careful not to jerk the wt. too swiftly you should be OK. If you are a consistent lifter don't be surprised if you bone density is 2-3 times that of women your age-One of the great benefits of weight training ! Keep clinking the wts ! Like I tell my training partner, Gotta love a good sweatty woman !

Rickster
    Lion or Sheep. It's your Choice.
    Life is short but it is W I D E.
    Life draws without an eraser.

Thanks for all the helpful info. Fortunately, I have always lifted, just not as intently so I had a good base, and age has made me listen to my own body during training. Patience has paid off in getting just the look I want (although now I want more!) I will keep the process of development in mind and consider my tendons and ligaments as important to my overall health and look as much as my muscle mass.

I will also check out Cissus Rx and Celadrin, thank you. I am taking MSM/Glucosamine/Condroitin and fish oil.

Haven't had bone density checked, probably a good idea. My blood pressure was 90/60 though, so my cardio system is happy!

30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000)
    Oh my! Look here is the down low IMO. Graduating MD's tested at John Hopkins University 6 years ago were found to have very poor musculo skelatal scores with regards to musculo skelatal anatomy and musculo skelatal physiology...as compored to Chiropractic physicians, physical therapists, and exercise physio's. John Hopkins said they were goinna increase their anatomy and physiology efforts. Graduating students got tested again last year and compared thier scores to Graduating DC students of Palmer college. Palmer grads outscored by more that 30% on test averages, and the Md scores did not increas from 5 years ago.

Now Im not flamming MDs, but you go to them for ER care, when your wife is having a child, when you have an uncontrolable infection etc. But diet and exercise ...most...I said most, not all, do not know a thing! It cracks me up when people on here, and or commericals say you should consult your doctor before starting an exercise or diet program. Ok they can get your blood pressure , vital etc...but that rarely affects or restricts anyone from exercise.

NOw back to your question. Weight/resistance training to the best of my knowledge is good for most every part of your body, and benefits all tissues.....EXCEPT...with prolonged training,,,heavy lifting over years and years studies have show that it may increase calcification of tendon material, and create and accelerated amount of scar tissue on the tendon. Its been a while since I read this study, but if memeory serves me correct....the amount of increase versus someone who did not participate in weight training was in the single digit percentile.

SO , me, I dont worry about it. I mean what are you gonna do go to the gym and go through the motions but never push yourself. Point is it wont only take a heavy lift to rip/tear a tendon. Doing moderate/light weight high rep, high sets to failiure cause cause this injury just as well if dont to failure. If you train smart I just dont see it occuring. Of course warm up to get your blood moving and the joint warm. Dont go to failure often etc.

Story about training like an idiot: I went to school at Life University, and worked as the head of the Gym at Life Universities 8 million dollar gym that was put in for the 1996 Olympic athletes to train at. I saw a "Personal trainer" who who worked out there(you know I think all trainers are just so damn smart and really know it all in the gym, I love them all) doing one armed cable bicep curls. He was doing each set to failure to the point where he would get the last rep 1/2 way up, and support the back of his tricep against his rib cage, and hold it there for 10-20 seconds on end. Now I never critique anyone, ever, as usually you get an attitude back, but I couldnt help it this day. I said, "Dude, I know your a trainer and all, but that looks like a great way to tear a bicep or rip the bicipital tendon ". Of course I get attitude back and he said "Ive been a personal trainer for over 10 years, I know what Im doing, thaks for the input, but I dont need any body building meat head advice, ok" (note this guy looks to be about 23-25 y.o. max, so I guess he had been personally training since his mid teens; oh yeah he is about 5'10" weighting in at about 200 pounds, with a big ass gut and 13" arms, no muscle size or tone what so ever). So I say ok just trying to help out; you know your body better than I do. He finshes with his 5th set of his right arm and begins his left left. I see him fail with the left arm and begin to hold his arm statically, as I begin to walk to the bathroom, and I hear a loud cry of pain. I walk over and he is literlly crying. I m a compassionate guy, but I couldnt help it...I had a bad taste in my mouth from this wise ass slobs comment back when I was trying to help him out. So I look at this half sissy with tear filled eyes and say quit crying like a bitch before some sees you. I walk to the back room fridge to get him an ice pack and toss it to him, then walk to the phone to call the campus security, so they can get him to an orthopod ASAP.

He is whimpering and asks me do you think I broke or tore something? "Yeah you did you stupid **ck." I say, "You tore you bicep tendon.....But you knew that right, you didnt have to ask cause youve been training people for over ten years and a meathead like me doesnt know sh*t." I tell him "Security is gonna get you and bring you to the ER and hopefully they will have an ER othropod on staff. There gonna send you home and tell you to ice the hell out of it cause its swollen like hell already" Then in a week or so you will probably most like need some surgery to re attach the tendon"

His face turns white, his eyes tear up again, and says" why do you think I need surgery" I said " You see that lemon sized brusied looking ball almost in your armpit?... thats your muscle you stuipid ass and its balck and blue from internal bleeding" And he then starts to sob. Again Im a compassionate guy, maybe not, but this one clown I had no patience or respect for, I slap his sweaty head with my hand in the back of his head, real hard so it makes that cracking sound, and say "Next time dont be such a Know it all, jerkoff".

Turns out this guys side work, outside of being a student and trainer... is he is one of the lead instructors for ISSA personal training courses, and travels around teaching classes and giving tests for people to get certified!

Moral of the story: dont train like an idiot. Tendons will be fine if you train smart.