Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 ... LastLast
    John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Thumbs up 20 Rep Squats: Force The Poundage!

Here's some excerpts from the book, Keys To Progress by John McCallum.

page 117 - The next exercise is the big one, the key to the whole thing, the squat. You'll do one set of 20 reps, in puff and pant style, with all the weight you can handle.

... take my word for it that the twenty rep squats are the solution to everybody's weight gaining problem. They'll stimulate growth beyond belief if you work them hard enough.

You should use a weight so heavy that the last five reps are doubtful.

You gotta force the poundage. 150% of your bodyweight for twenty reps is rock bottom minimum. That means 300 pounds for a 200-pound man. And remember, that's a minimum figure. You should figure on going well above that.

page 12 - You've got to work hard enough that the 15th rep feels like your limit. Then keep going and dig out the rest of the 20, each one of the last five reps should be doubtful.

You've got to practically bleed on the squats. Work (them) like you've never worked before. When you finish the set, you should be wiped right out. This is the hardest work that you'll ever do but it's an absolute must for success.
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I was doing this during bulking, and man oh man did it work for me. I put two inches on my thighs doing this over a period of about three months. Even though I weighed around 200 pounds I could never dream of finishing 20 reps with over 300 pounds. The most I ever finished a 20-rep set with was 255 pounds even though I can lift way over 300 for shorter sets. It was the huffing and puffing around rep 14 that always kicked my ass.
    100% Natural

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by John Hicks
    150% of your bodyweight for twenty reps is rock bottom minimum.

**** like this is why we have E-stats
    I don't know either lol

John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500) John Hicks is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Cool

Originally Posted by Horseradish
    Even though I weighed around 200 pounds I could never dream of finishing 20 reps with over 300 pounds. The most I ever finished a 20-rep set with was 255 pounds even though I can lift way over 300 for shorter sets.
    Later on in the book he talks about working up to 400 pounds and more than that!! I have the videotape where Steve Jeck squats 415 for 20 reps and he's about 280 pounds.... the last two or three reps it looks like he's gonna collapse. He digs out all 20 and then hits the floor right under the rack sucking air like he just swam the Pacific ocean!! Real awesome!!!
    WARNING: This post may contain material offensive to those who lack wit, humor, common sense and/or supporting factual or anecdotal evidence. All statements and assertions contained herein may be subject to literary devices not limited to: irony, metaphor, allusion and dripping sarcasm.

the_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) the_warrior has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Recently I have begun doing some extremely high rep training (previously I have done mostly low rep 4-6, 4-8, some 8-12) with 20 reps per set. It has produced some awesome leg days. 4 sets of 20 squats with constant weight, similar idea, I suggest it.

Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Man, i'd jump on this program if i wasn't fat and currently trying to cut weight

xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) xtrex has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Phokus
    Man, i'd jump on this program if i wasn't fat and currently trying to cut weight
    You wanna cut fat bro, not weight. You build muscle and your metabolism will increase. You muscles will be burning energy all the time. It's ideal that you don't lose any weight (given you are near your target), but you lose bodyfat, and it can be done. Read up on carb cycling bro. It's the best diet I've ever tried, and I've tried everything.
    You don't squat?
    You don't know squat.

_Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) _Lifter4Life_ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    20 rep squats are great

Lifter,
    "Absorb what is useful, reject what is useless." Bruce Lee

"The pain of bodybuilding is inevitable, but whether you suffer or not is entirely up to you."

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by W8isGR8
    150% of your bodyweight for twenty reps is rock bottom minimum.

**** like this is why we have E-stats
    *Scratches head* Why? That's quite reasonable.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but that's very reasonble. 20-rep squats don't follow the same "progression" as regular weights

i.e. you can't say "well, I can press 200 lbs for a set of 6, so I can press 100 for a set of 20" and apply that same kind of ratio to 20-rep squats. The rest/pausing between reps past 10 really extends things.

I have the videotape where Steve Jeck squats 415 for 20 reps and he's about 280 pounds.... the last two or three reps it looks like he's gonna collapse.
    *smirk* yeah, 415 x 20 isn't half bad. *whistles innocently*

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    So would you de-rack during rest-pause? I don't think you do; which is why that 20-rep squat with 150% BW seems impossible. If you de-racked with RP, I could imagine it being possible.

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    no, you don't rack the bar. You keep it on your shoulders and just stand upright. this gives yuour body a chance to clear any lactic acid in the legs

billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    theres a vid of a real famous bodybuilder on the net,of him doing like 500 pounds for 25 reps,i cant remember his name. Im sure someone has the video on here.

Kicks like Chuck Norris gogotheviking's Avatar
    gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For that 20 reps thing, do you only do one set of 20 exercices?

Also, can it be applied to any other exercice? I'm thinking especially compound exercices here

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by billjones
    theres a vid of a real famous bodybuilder on the net,of him doing like 500 pounds for 25 reps,i cant remember his name. Im sure someone has the video on here.
    Tom Platz.

20 rep squats are excellent. I put nearly an inch on my quads in 6 weeks from 20 rep squats.

Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Uncle Ben is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by gogotheviking
    For that 20 reps thing, do you only do one set of 20 exercices?
    1 working set, 20 reps, using rest/pause techniques to complete the set.

Kicks like Chuck Norris gogotheviking's Avatar
    gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
    1 working set, 20 reps, using rest/pause techniques to complete the set.
    So that means you warmup first right? Also excuse my noobism, but that technique your reffering to, is it only when you do a rep, let the weights where they they are, then continue? like a 5-10 seconds break?

Also would you recommend the 20 reps for other compounds, like chest press, deadlifts?

W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) W8isGR8 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by kethnaab
    *Scratches head* Why? That's quite reasonable.

Not trying to be a dick or anything, but that's very reasonble. 20-rep squats don't follow the same "progression" as regular weights

i.e. you can't say "well, I can press 200 lbs for a set of 6, so I can press 100 for a set of 20" and apply that same kind of ratio to 20-rep squats. The rest/pausing between reps past 10 really extends things.

*smirk* yeah, 415 x 20 isn't half bad. *whistles innocently*
    Sorry, we're not all badass lifters. I can't even squat 150% of my bodyweight once. If that makes me a pussy bitch, fine, but I'm not going to lie about my stats here. And I know damn well there's a lot of guys who can't do it either.
    I don't know either lol

Originally Posted by gogotheviking
    So that means you warmup first right? Also excuse my noobism, but that technique your reffering to, is it only when you do a rep, let the weights where they they are, then continue? like a 5-10 seconds break?

Also would you recommend the 20 reps for other compounds, like chest press, deadlifts?
    Warm up before hand. Then, do one set of 20 reps. The goal is to do 20 reps with your 10 rep max weight. Increase the weight with every successful set. So, if you do 225 for 20 reps one day, do 230 the next time. If you only hit 19 at 230, stay there unti you get 20.

20 rep squats get hard. In the middle of your set, pause at the top of the motion and catch your breath before the next rep. They're nicknamed "breathing squats" for this reason.

Legs respond really well to volume training, moreso than other muscle groups. I don't know the exact physiological reasoning behing this, other than they're frequent use. I doubt doing 20 reps for other compound exercises would have the impact 20 rep squats do.

Location: Laughing it up in the squat cage until closing time while you stare at me with hate.
    Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500) Zane >>>> God is not very helpful. (-500)
    Meh. 20 rep deadlifts do pretty much the same thing.

Take a weight you can do 5 times, rest/pause until you get to 20.

Merry Christmas tree on your back. Gear-on-teed.

YOu're welcome.

unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Sorry, we're not all badass lifters. I can't even squat 150% of my bodyweight once. If that makes me a pussy bitch, fine, but I'm not going to lie about my stats here. And I know damn well there's a lot of guys who can't do it either.
    i feel ya w8. my squat is just a little stronger than my bench, but i am working on it. what else can you do?

no e-stats here.
    WHO DAT

METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by Uncle Ben
    Legs respond really well to volume training, moreso than other muscle groups. I don't know the exact physiological reasoning behing this,
    Because the muscles of the legs are composed mainly of slow-twitch fibers, which respond best to higher reps and have a greater oxidative capacity. The reason they are mostly slow-twitch is because they must have the endurance to support you activities all day, which includes walking around while supporting your bodyweight
    \m/ METALLICA \m/ R.I.P. Cliff Burton:2/10/62-9/26/86
    DIE BY MY HAND, I CREEP ACROSS THE LAND, KILLING FIRST BORN MAN

RAIDERS
    ANGELS
    DUCKS

Originally Posted by METAL VIPER
    Because the muscles of the legs are composed mainly of slow-twitch fibers, which respond best to higher reps and have a greater oxidative capacity. The reason they are mostly slow-twitch is because they must have the endurance to support you activities all day, which includes walking around while supporting your bodyweight
    Not really, the hamstrings are almost all fast twitch.
    I don't know either lol

Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Mark1T has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Guess I'm a PB, too. I can do 150% of my bodyweight like several times, but I would have to juice to get 20 reps, LOL.

I don't know anyone that can do this who is natural, but there are probably some freaks out there. I believe you can get good results with 75% to 120% of your bodyweight @ 20 reps.

unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) unclejeff is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Mark1T
    Guess I'm a PB, too. I can do 150% of my bodyweight like several times, but I would have to juice to get 20 reps, LOL.

I don't know anyone that can do this who is natural, but there are probably some freaks out there. I believe you can get good results with 75% to 120% of your bodyweight @ 20 reps.
    of course you can, don't listen to this percent of bodyweight. use your 10-12 rep max. if kethnaab can squat 50,000lbs for 12 reps, than that is a good weigh for him to use. if you can squat 205 12 reps, that is a good weight for you to use.

get it get it,?
    WHO DAT

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    150% !!!!

*looks at weight* 220 x 1.5 = 330 !!!!!!

*looks at max* 355x3.... i dont think that is going to happen haha

i could always work up to it haha

**Under Construction** E_Scapegoat's Avatar
    E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) E_Scapegoat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    i think its ignorant to say you need to squat so much depending on what you weigh, a 160lb powerlifter will be able to lift more than a regular 160lb guy.

also i think intensity like that is awesome in this sport, but when you first start out, and you havent squatted for a long time, you usually cant do 20reps with a heavy weight and keep decent form. its better to start lighter with 20 reps.
    NPTI Certified PT

Originally Posted by E_Scapegoat
    i think its ignorant to say you need to squat so much depending on what you weigh, a 160lb powerlifter will be able to lift more than a regular 160lb guy.

also i think intensity like that is awesome in this sport, but when you first start out, and you havent squatted for a long time, you usually cant do 20reps with a heavy weight and keep decent form. its better to start lighter with 20 reps.
    Agreed, I hate arbitrary numbers.
    I don't know either lol

Fighting Round the world! Lifeforce's Avatar
    Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Here's some excerpts from the book, Keys To Progress by John McCallum.

page 117 - The next exercise is the big one, the key to the whole thing, the squat. You'll do one set of 20 reps, in puff and pant style, with all the weight you can handle.

... take my word for it that the twenty rep squats are the solution to everybody's weight gaining problem. They'll stimulate growth beyond belief if you work them hard enough.

You should use a weight so heavy that the last five reps are doubtful.

You gotta force the poundage. 150% of your bodyweight for twenty reps is rock bottom minimum. That means 300 pounds for a 200-pound man. And remember, that's a minimum figure. You should figure on going well above that.

page 12 - You've got to work hard enough that the 15th rep feels like your limit. Then keep going and dig out the rest of the 20, each one of the last five reps should be doubtful.

You've got to practically bleed on the squats. Work (them) like you've never worked before. When you finish the set, you should be wiped right out. This is the hardest work that you'll ever do but it's an absolute must for success.
    Rock bottom minimum? That's just bull****, people should start where they currently are and work their way up. 1.5BWx20 on the squat isn't done just overnight, it takes some work
    Rebuilding the ruins... stone by stone

Weight: 95 kg (209 lbs)
    Military Presses: 8x60 kg (132 lbs)
    Bent over rows: 6x100 kg (220 lbs)
    Bench: 8x85 kg (187 lbs)
    ATG Squat: 8x140 kg (308 lbs)
    Deadlift 5x150 kg (330 lbs)

pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000) pali012 is just really nice. (+1000)
    I'll admit theres not a chance I could do 150% of my BW for 20 reps.

Are 20 rep squats dangerous? It seems to me that one could easily injury themselves performing a 20 rep squat. Taking your 12 RM, and doing it for 20 seems to me like your asking for an injury. Thoughts...?

Fighting Round the world! Lifeforce's Avatar
    Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10) Lifeforce is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by pali012
    I'll admit theres not a chance I could do 150% of my BW for 20 reps.

Are 20 rep squats dangerous? It seems to me that one could easily injury themselves performing a 20 rep squat. Taking your 12 RM, and doing it for 20 seems to me like your asking for an injury. Thoughts...?
    No it is not dangerous, I have/had a back injury and I can still do it but I make a counscious effort to flex the abs and blow myself up before every rep. 20 reps, not 20 half ass reps.
    Rebuilding the ruins... stone by stone

Weight: 95 kg (209 lbs)
    Military Presses: 8x60 kg (132 lbs)
    Bent over rows: 6x100 kg (220 lbs)
    Bench: 8x85 kg (187 lbs)
    ATG Squat: 8x140 kg (308 lbs)
    Deadlift 5x150 kg (330 lbs)