PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500) PeoplesChamp is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Question should i stop working out my arms

I didnt know where do put this, but I have some self concious problems. I am about to be going in the army reserve in about 4-6 months and I will have to wear shorts now in public. I have some really skinny calfs there are about 14.5 inches and my biceps are 16 inches. I am afraid that my arms are gonna keep growing and my calfs stay the same.

I am 6 feet 1 inch tall and weight about 185 getting closer to 190.
    I feel that if I wear shorts especially in the army I will be rideculed and be made fun of for my 14in ish calfs. Should I just stop working out my arms???? I am going so far to thinking of delaying my time in the army and trying to train my calfs longer for them to grow. I just came back from also a leg injury so my legs could of even shrunk a little.

whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100) whtbt1.88 is not very well liked. (-100)
    Don't even stress! Not many people are going to notice a 1" difference inyour calves and bi's and even if they do who cares? Keep doing what your doing

Freestyle Bodybuilder bigcityboy's Avatar
    bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10) bigcityboy is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Make a valid estimation

Originally Posted by PeoplesChamp
    I didnt know where do put this, but I have some self concious problems. I am about to be going in the army reserve in about 4-6 months and I will have to wear shorts now in public. I have some really skinny calfs there are about 14.5 inches and my biceps are 16 inches. I am afraid that my arms are gonna keep growing and my calfs stay the same.

I feel that if I wear shorts especially in the army I will be rideculed and be made fun of for my 14in ish calfs. Should I just stop working out my arms???? I am going so far to thinking of delaying my time in the army and trying to train my calfs longer for them to grow. I just came back from also a leg injury so my legs could of even shrunk a little.
    Estimate, I've seen men with huge upper bodies and the worlds skinniest legs.
    I was not going to be the one to make fun of somebody like this. Also when I was younger My upper body was of course farther along than My lower body, so what I did was when I started back at the gym I made sure that I did as many leg sets as I did arms and I am now getting the even result.
    As far as to stop working Your arms all together that would be solely up to You. Make your best estimate and go for it.

Soap box squatting. Andrew.Cook's Avatar
    Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Please... this is a consideration? You want to delay your entry to serve your country because you don't want to be teased? I'm not making light of your situation, or your feelings. It is quite obvious to me that you are serious, and that this is an issue. However, I think that you need to get your priorities straight.

bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10) bradroche is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by PeoplesChamp

Yea thats a bit silly. If you need an excuse (which you shouldnt) just tell them about the leg injury, and you were growing while your calves were shrinking, and that ure gonna start gettin them big...

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Wait wait wait... So you're fine with going to learn how to be a soldier when your country is fighting all over the Middle-East against a determined enemy, and your biggest worry is your biceps overpowering your calves? If was I preparing to be a soldier, I'd want to first be sure I was able to kill my enemy, no matter who it was, using whatever means necessary. Not parsing internally over getting made fun of in the service over my body. Your lack of confidence leaves one questioning your willingness to get the job that this sort of employment calls for done. Either you've got a serious pair, or you need to re-evaluate what you're about to get yourself into.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

Soap box squatting. Andrew.Cook's Avatar
    Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Andrew.Cook is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Serpens Aeon
    Wait wait wait... So you're fine with going to learn how to be a soldier when your country is fighting all over the Middle-East against a determined enemy, and your biggest worry is your biceps overpowering your calves? If was I preparing to be a soldier, I'd want to first be sure I was able to kill my enemy, no matter who it was, using whatever means necessary. Not parsing internally over getting made fun of in the service over my body. Your lack of confidence leaves one questioning your willingness to get the job that this sort of employment calls for done. Either you've got a serious pair, or you need to re-evaluate what you're about to get yourself into.
    I like your signature.

On a slightly more serious note, I am glad that someone else sees the inherent lack of attention to the matter at hand. I am in the military, and I'm getting ready to wrap up an almost 10 year career... unfortunately I see these types of issues pop up all over the place.

I hate to be harsh about this type of reply, but the truth is very depressing. If you concentrate on something that is not your job, even for the wrong second, people die. Welcome to the military. At the instant that you realize just how gross your error was, your calves and arms will not seem like such a big deal... and on the plus side, I'll never poke fun at anyone that saves my life.

Oh... and by the way, EVERYONE gets made fun of in the service. Everyone. It is a test, a right of passage, and a bonding experience. Grow thick skin. Too bad I can't get Keth to give me a "Hoo-ya" lol.

MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Now I'm not saying that you don't already do this but push your legs as much as they can go even if you feel you've got nothing left just keep on going because calves are a bast*rd to get into good shape they really need a beating do until you go to the army carry on working your calves and arms as much as you can because think about it if you do that by the time you get to the army your calves might only have got to 16/17 inches but your arms could be 19/20 inches and I'm sure arms that size would take a decent amount of attention off your calves in anyway and nobody would mention anything ? Good luck in anyway !
    Iron, Pump, Burn = Life

Unleash the Animal inside !

"GO BIG OR GO HOME !"

falsdan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) falsdan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) falsdan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) falsdan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) falsdan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) falsdan has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    if it really is bothering you start on more of a leg workout you want to go higher reps with your legs to get the best results but as for stoping your arms in my opinion your arms can never be too big so keep going as you are but its up to you and I wouldnt put off going in the army because that would help your legs to get bigger anyway and if thats what you wanna do go for it

blitzballer has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I was in the same boat a while ago... A friend of mine snapped a video of me at the beach one day and when I saw it I looked like Popeye: nothing but arms!

But instead of stopping working my arms I just reduced it a bit. I've always worked back and biceps on the same day, but where I used to work my biceps first and then my back I switched it around. Now my biceps get a bit of work while I'm hammering my back, and then I finish off with some curls. And that's about it.

Same with triceps. They get a decent workout when I'm doing chest, and then I follow up with some tricep extensions or skullcrushers.
    I work out 'cuz let's face it: when you got a mug like mine you need SOMETHING going for you...

jadebellant has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Military Shorts

It's been a while since I was in, but we ran so much and did a fair amount of leg strengthening work that (depending on your MOS), you might notice some improvement in this area.

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Andrew.Cook
    I like your signature.

On a slightly more serious note, I am glad that someone else sees the inherent lack of attention to the matter at hand. I am in the military, and I'm getting ready to wrap up an almost 10 year career... unfortunately I see these types of issues pop up all over the place.

I hate to be harsh about this type of reply, but the truth is very depressing. If you concentrate on something that is not your job, even for the wrong second, people die. Welcome to the military. At the instant that you realize just how gross your error was, your calves and arms will not seem like such a big deal... and on the plus side, I'll never poke fun at anyone that saves my life.

Oh... and by the way, EVERYONE gets made fun of in the service. Everyone. It is a test, a right of passage, and a bonding experience. Grow thick skin. Too bad I can't get Keth to give me a "Hoo-ya" lol.
    I feel all the more validated that not only do you approve of my choice of quotation, but that you have the military experience to backup what a non-soldier has said about a military matter. I've only ever elected to fight someone hand to hand; I've never opted to place myself in a situation where I've had to totally destroy my targets. I'm a big proponent of phenomenological information, so this carries weight for me.

To the original poster... As for the rite de passage bit Andrew has mentioned... Well, professionally, I'm an anthropologist, so I know all about ritual. This guy's right. A succesful ritual has the participant entering as ordinary, but leaving cosmologically and behaviorally changed, joining a sacred membership of shared experience.

But to reiterate the point, such a lack in self-confidence really does sound some horns if you're thinking about getting into the business of killing your nation's enemies when commanded to. I suppose it's the echoing meaning of frivolousness matched with a desire to place oneself in a situation of such consequence.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty