tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ignore the fructose, give an honest opinion of protein quality for 'American Whey'

...based on the label claims. It's a Jarrow product that I always liked for the simple reason that it was so low in fat and cholesterol and high in glycomacropeptides etc... it seemed like a high quality product to me. (Going by the premise that you can generally tell the quality of a protein by the amount of carbohydrates and fat/cholesterol in a whey product.)

This is the label on the American Whey vanilla flavor. Ignore the 4 grams of fructose when giving your opinion; I couldn't care less, prefer it to artificial sweeteners anyway, etc... Just give an opinion based on the quality of the whey iteself:'

Label Information:
    " American Whey Protein - Vanilla, Jarrow Formulas, 2 lbs (908 grams) powder

100% Natural Ultra Filtered Powder
    18 g Whey Active Protein
    4.3 g BCAAs per serving
    Glutamine Rich
    Supports Muscle Development
    No Artificial Sweeteners
    No Artificial flavors
    18% GlycoMacroPeptides Full Spectrum Whey

Suggested Usage: Mix one level scoop (provided in container) of 100% natural American Whey with 4 to 6 oz. of cold water, soy-milk, juice or your favorite beverage. Take 1 to 2 servings daily after exercise, or as directed by your qualified health consultant. For a protein-rich shake or smoothie, mix or blend 2 to 4 scoops of whey with crushed ice and add juice or fruit to desired taste. When a protein supplement is desired, use 1 to 3 scoops. May also be used with cereals, yogurt or pancakes to increase the protein in your diet.

American Whey Protein, is a 100% natural protein concentrate of whey and is specially ultrafiltered under low temperature to be low in fat, lactose and carbohydrates. American Whey Protein is a rich source of glutamine rich biologically active proteins. fifty-one percent of the proteins found in American Whey are from BLG (Beta-lactoglbulin), 20% of whey is ALB (Alpha-Lactalbumin), 10% Immunoglobulin, 10% Albumin, 7% minor fractions (Beta-Microglobulin, lactoferrin, lactoperoxidase, lysozyme, lactolin and relaxin), fructose, lecithin and natural flavors. Albumin is of particular interest to researches because of its elevated concentrations of glutamylcysteine, a precursor to the antioxidant glutathione.

American Whey Protein supports muscle development because it is the richest natural source of BCAAs (Isoleucine, Leucine and Valine), important fuel components of muscle tissue. BCAAs are depleted from muscle tissue following strenuous exercise, which can cause catabolic loss of protein. BCAAs supress proteolysis which is the breakdown of muscle tissue. BCAAs are important as a metabolic fuel for muscle and other tissues by its involvement in the alanine cycle (a process of energy production from BCAAs). BCAAs have been known to enhance performance in moderate as well as intense exercise by improving endurance. Each scoop (27 grams) of American Whey Protein provides a total of 4.0 grams of BCAAs. No other source of protein provided as much BCAAs as whey.

Jarrow Formulas' 100% all natural American Whey Protein is rich in glycomacropeptides, which are biologically active proteins that improve the digestion and absorption of nutrients, and growth of bifidobacteria.

American Whey Protein is specially processed to concentrate and preserve glutamine. Predigested whey, such as that found in peptides and hydrolyzed whey products, result in a loss of glutamine. Therefore American Whey is not hydrolyzed. Also, whey protein is extremely rich in essential amino acids that raise the biological efficiency of the protein.

American Whey Advantages
    1. 100% Natural
    2. Nothing artificial - no artifical flavors, sweeteners or colors
    3. 18% Glycomacropeptides - unique low molecular weight compounds.
    4. Highest concentration of muscle-boosting branched chain amino acids (BCAAs) - 4.3 grams (4,300 mg) per serving.
    5. Highest Biological Value - 104
    6. Made in U.S.A.

* These statements have not been evaluated by the Food and Drug Administration. This product is not intended to diagnose, treat, cure, or prevent andy disease.

Nutrition Facts:
    Serving Size 1 heaping scoop 26 g
    Servings per Container 35

Amount Per Serving
    Calories 10 Calories from Fat 10
    % Daily Value *
    Total Fat 1 g 2%
    Saturated Fat 1 g 4%
    Cholesterol 10 mg 4%
    Sodium 45 mg 2%
    Potassium 315 mg 9%
    Total Carbohydrate 4 g 1%
    Dietary Fiber 0 g 0%
    Sugars 4 g
    Protein 18 g 36%
    Vitamin A 0% Vitamin C 20%
    Calcium 8% Iron 0%

* Percent Daily Values based on a 2,000 calorie diet.
    Your Daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Calories 2,000 2,500
    Total Fat Less than 65 g 80 g
    Saturated Fat Less than 20 g 25 g
    Cholesterol Less than 300 mg 300 mg
    Sodium Less than 2,400 mg 2,400 mg
    Total Carbohydrate 300 g 375 g
    Dietary Fiber 25 g 30 g

Calories Per Gram: Fat 9 Carbohydrate 4 Protein 4

Ingredients: Ultrafiltered Whey Protein (comprising major isolate fractions: 51% Beta Lactoglobulin, 20% Alpha-Lactalbumin, 10% Immunoglobulin, 10% Albumin and 7% minor fractions, betamicroglobulin, lactoferrin and relaxin), fructose, natural low-carbohydrate kiwi fruit concentrate, and natural vanilla flavor. Contains no artificial sweeteners or artificial flavors.

Typical Amino Acid Profile
    per 26g serving
    Essential Amino Acids
    Isoleucine (BCAA) 1.49 g
    Leucine (BCAA) 1.84 g
    Valine (BCAA) 0.98 g
    Phenylalanine 0.57 g
    Methionine 0.31 g
    Lysine 1.66 g
    Tryptophan 0.28 g
    Thereonine 1.15 g
    Arginine (semi-essential) 0.43 g
    Histidine (semi-essential) 0.37 g
    Total Essential Amino Acids 9.08 g

Non Essential Amino Acids
    Alanine 0.71 g
    Aspartic Acid 1.82 g
    Cysteine 0.42 g
    Glutamine + Glutamic Acid 2.85 g
    Glycine 0.35 g
    Proline 1.06 g
    Serine 0.32 g
    Tyrosine 0 .61 g
    Total Non Essential Amion Acids 8.64 gms

Total Glycomacropeptides 3 gms

Total Protein Per Serving 17.72 gms
    Jarrow is mainly known for probiotic products, not bodybuilding supps, so a lot of people have never even heard of American Whey. I first noticed it a while back when I realized that it just *tasted* really good. (Generally not how I rate a protein...)

-The Tofu Guru-

dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    It's 70% protein by volume, which is low even by cheap protein standards.

Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000) Blacksmith is just really nice. (+1000)
    FYI,
    The American Whey Protein that I use and have discussed.
    is not from Jarrow!!

It is from American Sports Nutrition.

http://www.americanwhey.com/
    Never quit!

nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nobull is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    I can't get beyond the fructose.... but this basically looks like a microfiltered WPC product. I guess if you like the taste....

tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) tofu_guru has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

AW

It's 70% protein by volume, which is low even by cheap protein standards.
    Even considering the fructose/flavoring? I notice similar ratios when I look at flavored blends from other companies. Thanks for the feedback by the way.

-The Tofu Guru-

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    If I'm going to get cheap WPC protein, by god i'm going to get a 10lb bag of optimum.
    Peace

dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dio is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Re: AW

Originally posted by tofu_guru
    Even considering the fructose/flavoring? I notice similar ratios when I look at flavored blends from other companies. Thanks for the feedback by the way.

-The Tofu Guru-
    I thought most brands hover around 80% but it turns out that I was optimistic:

Designer whey: 73%
    Optimum whey 77%
    Prolab whey 69%
    EAS simply protein 70%
    AST vp2 75%
    Nitrotech 62.5%
    HSN 74%

Two of the better blends:
    Metrx protein plus 80%
    I****trix 79%

So 70% isn't terrible, but there are better products out there. The above figures also show what a ridiculous rip-off nitrotech is.