homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

alternative to chin ups

is there any way i can use free weights to get the benefits of chin ups (specifically reverse grip chin ups)? i do not have access to a chin up bar but i do have a lot of free weights. thanks

ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) ExtremistPullup has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by homestar
    is there any way i can use free weights to get the benefits of chin ups (specifically reverse grip chin ups)? i do not have access to a chin up bar but i do have a lot of free weights. thanks
    Not really nothing will get you used to chinups like chinups will.

no access to a chinup, I would get creative.
    Pullups Max reps: 40 reps
    Max weighted pullup:
    206.2 lbs x 1 rep
    165 lbs x 6 reps
    135 lbs x 8 reps
    100 lbs x 14 reps

Bench: 365 lbs
    Squat: 405 lbs
    Deadlift: 505 lbs
    Press:225 lbs

tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10) tnubs is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    chinups own face. deadlifts hit the back too, tho.

possibly pullovers. they work the lats and traps but not bicepts.
    Deadlifting 550 @ 180lbs two weeks before a competition gave me 2 inguinal hernias... what did the gym give u this month?

wow strong hands world_in_union's Avatar
    world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you don't have access to a chinning bar, you could use a tree, or something strong like a wall or possibly door (make sure it's super strong). Mind you you can only do pull ups on a wall, not chin ups.

Something like a veranda or deck made out of wood does the trick, thats what I do at my friends house as he doesn't have a chinning bar.

Thats providing you want to do them of course. If your asking because your looking for the free weight alternative, than no, not IMO. Theres nothing like a good chin up, but pull ups are better IMO

METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) METAL VIPER has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Venture down to a local park with monkey bars
    \m/ METALLICA \m/ R.I.P. Cliff Burton:2/10/62-9/26/86
    DIE BY MY HAND, I CREEP ACROSS THE LAND, KILLING FIRST BORN MAN

RAIDERS
    ANGELS
    DUCKS

AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) AhBeng has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by homestar
    Chin-ups are a wonderful exercise that work on a good number of different muscle groups. Depending on the specific muscle group you're interested in working on, eg. the Lattisimus dorsi, there are a number of free weights exercises that can achieve your target of working out that specific muscle.

Eg. Working out the Lats using dumbells (instead of the traditional wide-angle chin-ups) :
    http://www.myfit.ca/exercisedatabase...xercises&ID=17

Check out the list of other muscles, and their exercises, on the left column on that webpage.

homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) homestar has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks everyone. wow, i never thought of the monkey bars thing im definitely going to do that!

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Also, look around your house for a Horizontal beam. Usually they'll be in your basement, or in a storage room. You can do them by gripping onto them with a pair of gloves (not to get your hands dirty). They're fairly tougher than normal chinups since you're gripping a flat edge as opposed to a cylindrical edge.