LoRdMaGe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoRdMaGe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Unhappy Doctor Says I Have Extremely Low Cholesterol

I got my blood results back today and found out that my HDL was 41 and my LDL was 24, which were extremely low as I was told.

I eat pretty healthy and hit the gym about 5-6 times a week. I follow a pretty strict diet. I work in the morning and afternoon, so I try and follow something like this:

Breakfast
    - 1 Banana
    Lunch (Pre-workout)
    - 1 Lean Body Protein Bar
    After-lunch (Post-workout)
    - Tuna
    - 1 Lean Body Protein Bar
    Dinner
    - 2x Grilled Chicken Breasts
    - Salad

Is there any way I can increase my cholesterol levels, without gaining a lot of fat? I figured I was eating pretty healthy, but now I'm not sure. I don't want to start hitting the McDonald's and Burger King drive-thrus though.

Thanks
    Stats as of: January 2009

Current Weight: 177lbs
    Body fat: 14%
    Height: 5'8"
    Chest: 41"
    Waist: 32"

garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500) garlichead is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well I know that having an extrememly low level of cholesterol in the body isn't the best scenario for sure.......cholesterol of course is produced by the liver and somewhat effected by dietary intake,but I believe it help transport fat throughout the body and an extrememly low level can create it's own health risks......hopefully someone with some experience in this matter will help you out.Sorry I could be more helpful.
    One problem is....some of our competitors suffer from excessive build quality.

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Have a whole egg for breakfast, keep the skin on your chicken breast, or better yet, have a steak.

Food for thought, people with very low cholesterol have the same mortality rates as people with very high cholesterol.

Also, I hope your a very petite girl because you are hardly eating anything.

Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Oddball8945 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    You need more food man, 1 bannana for breakfast!? Weres the protein? Then it seems all your eating is bars, i hope these are big bars that supply 400 cals each because if not you way undereating
    Deport ALL Illegal Aliens

LoRdMaGe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) LoRdMaGe has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Oddball8945
    You need more food man, 1 bannana for breakfast!? Weres the protein? Then it seems all your eating is bars, i hope these are big bars that supply 400 cals each because if not you way undereating
    Think they're 370 calories per bar.
    http://labrada.com/Merchant2/merchan...e=protein_bars

bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) bill257 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Drinking alchohol raises HDL. Is there an actual low for LDL you don't want to go below or do you just want to raise the HDL?

mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/he...ur-blood-2.htm
    The problem is with your HDL.
    You know that you shouldn't be avoiding fats at all costs ? Your body NEEDS fats to build cells (the surrounding of the cells is made of fats), it's needed in your brain (myelin, which protects a part of the neurons, is made out of fat), some hormones are made out of fat (steroids).
    All your body NEEDS in reality is fats (around 10 g of fat) and protein (around 30 g).
    Your should eat a LOT more btw, I'm guessing your getting around 1500 cals a day which isn't near enough.

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by LoRdMaGe
    Think they're 370 calories per bar.
    http://labrada.com/Merchant2/merchan...e=protein_bars
    They sure make it hard to find the ingredients on that website.

Originally Posted by bill257
    Drinking alchohol raises HDL. Is there an actual low for LDL you don't want to go below or do you just want to raise the HDL?
    I believe I should get my LDL to about 60 to be at a healthy level.

Originally Posted by mountain_drew
    http://www.bodybuildingforyou.com/he...ur-blood-2.htm
    The problem is with your HDL.
    You know that you shouldn't be avoiding fats at all costs ? Your body NEEDS fats to build cells (the surrounding of the cells is made of fats), it's needed in your brain (myelin, which protects a part of the neurons, is made out of fat), some hormones are made out of fat (steroids).
    All your body NEEDS in reality is fats (around 10 g of fat) and protein (around 30 g).
    Your should eat a LOT more btw, I'm guessing your getting around 1500 cals a day which isn't near enough.
    Do you recommend any healthy fats that I could but into my diet, and the portions? I thought tuna was the best source, but I'm not sure now.

mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) mountain_drew has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Canned tuna doesn't really have fat in it, I'm not sure about fresh tuna though.
    The best sources of omega-3 fats are : mackerel, sardine, herring, salmon, trout. These are easy to get canned. Otherwise, you could add colza (not canola) oil or nuts oil to your salad.

I dunno how much you weight, but by judging from your activity level, you should increase your calorie intake too.

Do you recommend any healthy fats that I could but into my diet, and the portions? I thought tuna was the best source, but I'm not sure now.
    Add saturated fats. They are healthy (your body needs them) and they should raise your cholesterol.

mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000) mimo is just really nice. (+1000)
    Fats should be 30% of your total cals,minimum.Increase your fat intake, you can use olive oil, etc.the source wont matter as much but id make sure the bulk of it comes from unsatured fats
    Joao Mimoso, Exercise physiologist, writter, consultant and Personal trainer

******** page "Body by Mimo"

http://www.********.com/#!/bodybymimo

acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10) acidburrito is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    wow that is a really weird diet. You have almost no carbs and like 1500 cals total.

Are you cutting at 156? If not (i hope you're not) then you need to be eating wayyy more. Cut back on the bars, eat at least 200g of carbs a day, and incorporate some fat into your diet.

Drink a protein shake with 0.25g/lb of lean body mass and 0.5g/lb of LBM of carbs post workout.

Eat another complete meal with fat, carbs, protein about an hour or so after that.

Eat a lot more for breakfast. You're waking up after an 8-10hr fast.