StArTiNg StReNgTh .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.'s Avatar
    .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

How to increase squat depth???

What are the best ways to develop flexibility in the muscles that generally "prevent" people from doing ATG squats. (I'm thinking ankles, hamstrings, hips (?), quads (?).

-Exercises
    -Stretches
    -Anything else that will help///

(especially with people with longer thigs compared to lower leg)
    thanks for your time.

............................l l l
    (that's me if it helps vvv )
    http://www.youtube.com/v/PJrcWMuVCBY
    Last edited by .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.; 05-16-2006 at 05:33 PM.

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by .:.:.:.:.:.:.:.
    I'm thinking ankles, hamstrings, hips (?), quads (?).
    Pretty much hit the nail on the head. I doubt many exercises will help with depth, but stretching will.
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

.:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) .:.:.:.:.:.:.:. has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    When I squat, my pelvis has to tilt back (releasing some of the tension in my lower back) in order for me to get past parallel. WHat can I DOOO to go low and maintain the arch.

Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50) Canadian Iron will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    box squats with a progressively lower box each week.

i'll try that...

what should I do in terms of stretching.... (im very inflexible in the ankles and ass/hips ..... ffs..... im inflexible everywhere! and it sucks)

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    ExRx has a plethora of stretches for all of the muscle groups you will need for squatting.

Remember to do both bent and locked knee calf stretches.
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

G-Rex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) G-Rex has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    I had the same problem..

Put 5kg plates under your heals, It'll allow you to go lower, then you can work your way down to 2.5kg plates, then 1.25kgs, until you don't need them anymore.
    :]

dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250) dapper has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Canadian Iron
    box squats with a progressively lower box each week.
    I would have to second this

Misc Armchair Counsellor MantisShrimp's Avatar
    MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Either box squats, or squats with a weight which is HEAVY enough to help increase the tension on the stubborn tendons, but LIGHT enough that you aren't scared or worried about getting out of the hole. For me this is about 135. Bodyweight squats don't help because the inflexibility will tend to pitch you over forward or backward. Lately I am only going parallel tho, NSCA approves both types of squat and for my needs currently the parallel squat is doing the job.
    Live Laugh Love,
    MantisShrimp
    Misc Armchair Counsellor