Registered User lithuanian_girl's Avatar
    lithuanian_girl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question New Workout Program - please critique!!

Here is my new workout program that I will start tomorrow. My goal is to train each body part twice a week , except for my back and chest- that will be trained only ine a week ( is that really bad?) I was doing each body part once a week for about 4 month. STarted seeing some muscle definition, but not enough, need a change.
    I would appreciate if all of you pros could take a look at it and give me some feedback , critique. I work out at 5 am each morning. Each workout takes about 40-45 minutes and is followed by 30- 60 minute cardio. Saturdays workout is non- gym workout- abs done at home, followed by a longer distance run outside ( about 60 minutes ) or 30 minute run in the stadium + 15 minutes running up and down stadium stairs. Sunday is complete rest day.
    So here it is

MONDAY LEGS
    Squats
    Dead Lifts
    Abductor/adduction
    Laying Leg Curl
    Leg Press

TUESDAY CHEST/TRICEPS/SHOULDERS
    CHEST:
    Chest Press
    Fly
    TRICEPS:
    Cable pressdown
    Cable reverse (palms up) pressdown
    Cable Overhead extensions
    SHOULDERS:
    Latral raise
    Front raise
    Seated Dumbell Press
    Upright row

WEDNESDAY BACK/BICEPS/ABS
    BACK:
    Machine Row
    Pulldown
    Lower Bck Ext
    BICEPS:
    Preacher Curl
    Hammer Curl
    Inc. Dmbl Curl
    Cable Curl
    ABS
    mostly crunches&reverse crunches

THURSDAY LEGS
    Lunges w/dumbells
    Side lunges w/dumbells
    Plie Squats w/dumbells
    step ups w/dumbells

FRIDAY ARMS (TRICEPS/BICEPS/SHOULDERS
    TRICEPS
    Dips
    Overhead ext
    Rope Pressdown
    BICEPS
    Constr Curl
    Standing Curl
    Alternating Curl
    SHOULDERS
    Shoulder Triple (Front raise, let raise, rear delt raise)
    See Saw Press

SATURDAY ABS
    mostly crunches&reverse crunches

I appreciate all your advice and feedback
    Last edited by lithuanian_girl; 05-14-2006 at 11:46 AM.

Anyone? Please
    I am very new here and any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated
    Do I have it right? any mistakes? too much, not enough?

Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by lithuanian_girl
    Anyone? Please
    I am very new here and any advice I could get would be greatly appreciated
    Do I have it right? any mistakes? too much, not enough?
    The first person u should judge your workout plan it’s you.

If you feel good with it and if you feel progress to reach your goals go ahead..

Props

That's the thing ---with my old routine, training each body part once a week I didn't see as much progress as I would like to. I know I am not as knowledgable as some people here on boards, and might not see something they could. I am trying to educate myself and read everything possible on the subject, which can get confusing. Sometimes you just need another objective opinion, reassurance I guess.
    I don't want to be wasting months and years in gym only to find out I was doing it all wrong.
    I guess I'll just keep testing and continue learn through trial and error
    Thank you though

Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50) Anji will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Ok, I’m not a pro or something like that, I’m in a learning process like you, but in my opinion you are overtraining some body parts like Arms, Shoulders and legs. You should consider at least 4 days of rest to any muscle group; you can’t forget that you don’t grow at the gym. When you finish you training your muscles are broke they recover and grow at home with appropriate food and rest.

So you should consider maintain your backs/biceps and chest/triceps day and avoid the arms days, or train backs and chest isolate and maintain the arms days. Don’t forget when you train backs you are indirectly training your biceps and when you train your chest you are indirectly trading your triceps. Give particular attention to the Backs train, many people is warning with glamour muscle groups like arms and chest and forget that a strong back it’s the foundation to grow.

I hope you understand the idea, I’m learning like you…

Props

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    You don't need 4 days of rest per body part.

Why only work your back/chest once a week?

Upper/lower splits are very effective.

I like my back the way it is right now, It's weird but that is the body part where i can see definition best and it gives in to training easily. Chest I don't really see any difference either way. My arms , especially triceps are lagging the most. And I definately want to build my butt , since it is kind of flat. Therefore I was thinking working those body parts twice a week. I don't know if does make any sense at all.... I really don't grow muscle easily....

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well, first, more isn't better. I would look to the exercises you are doing and your sets/reps for them.

But given that your back and chest are very large muscles, by not working them as well, you are limiting muscle gain. Triceps are worked with chest, so again, if you don't work your chest you are limiting their development.

I would work everything twice a week in some form of periodization.

Originally Posted by emunah
    Well, first, more isn't better. I would look to the exercises you are doing and your sets/reps for them.

But given that your back and chest are very large muscles, by not working them as well, you are limiting muscle gain. Triceps are worked with chest, so again, if you don't work your chest you are limiting their development.

I would work everything twice a week in some form of periodization.
    Thank you so much for looking into this for me Emunah!
    well as far as sets/reps go i try to do all my exercises for 3 sets and 12 reps. Unless I fatique before completing the 12th rep. I've been very consistent with that. I do increase my weights once i feel it gets easy. For my leg workout i simetimes go for 15 reps.
    I feel so dumb- but what is periodization and how that works exactly?
    So if I do everything twice a week would a split like that be ok:
    back/bic
    chest/tric/shoulders
    legs
    and then repeat?
    Is 4 exercises per body part too much or about right? For chest/tric/shoulders day my workout would add up to 12 exercises x 3 sets each.
    Thank you again !

woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    i think it sucks

try a push-pull-legs workout and if you wanna hit each muscle 2x a week do this

monday: upperbody-push
    tuesday: upperbody-pull
    wednesday: off
    thursday: legs
    friday: upperbody-push and pull

woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) woody16 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    and why so high of reps? y not keep em around 6-8 or 10 at the most?

kekekeke i am wondering how in the hell i ended up in the femal bodybuilding forum lol

Woody actually gave good advice. Push/pull is a good idea, but I would do two of legs. Upper/lower, alternating push/pull.

You want heavier weights, lower reps.

Ok. let me quote myself--
    Thank you so much for looking into this for me Emunah!
    So if I do everything twice a week would a split like that be ok:
    back/bic
    chest/tric/shoulders
    legs
    and then repeat?
    the split that mentioned - isn't that push/pull routine???????? If he said it sucks, can you tell me what push pull routine is? i am confused all over again

I will try start lifting heavier weight for less reps. What about number of exersices perfomed per body part

Thanks!!!

Ok. let me quote myself--

the split that mentioned - isn't that push/pull routine???????? If he said it sucks, can you tell me what push pull routine is? i am confused all over again

I will try start lifting heavier weight for less reps. What about number of exersices perfomed per body part

Thanks!!!
    yes that is push/pull/leg. try to stay w/6-8 reps but no more than 10 ....2exercises per bodypart

y not just do something liike this? sets x reps

Monday: -upperbody-push
    benchpress 4x6-8
    incline press 3x6-8
    militarypress 4x6-8
    dips 4x6-8
    rope pressdowns 2x6-8
    **core work**

Tuesday: rest

wednesday: -lower
    squats 4x6-8
    deadlifts 3x6-8
    lunges 3x6-8
    leg ext. 3x6-8
    calf raises 3x6-8

Thursday: rest

Friday: upperbody-pull
    lat-pulldowns 3x6-8
    bentover rows 4x6-8
    lower back ext. 3x6-8
    preacher curls 4x6-8
    hammer curls 2x6-8
    **core work**

Thank you much!
    I will do push/pull routine and definately try to lift heavier within 6-8 reps.
    I think i will do it twice a week though.

I would still include another day of legs....

Yes, definately. I work out 6 days a week with Sundays being my complete rest day.
    How does this look:

Monday:
    Chest/ Triceps/ Shoulders.
    HIIT

Tuesday:
    Back/Biceps
    Abs
    30-45 min cardio

Wednesday:
    Legs
    Light cardio

Thursday:
    Chest/ Triceps/ Shoulders
    HIIT

Friday :
    Back/Biceps
    Abs
    30-45 min cardio

Saturday:
    Legs
    Running outside ( stadium)

Sunday: Rest

I am trying to lose bodyfat therefore i need cardio everyday along with clean diet. I feel that without cardio my body is not getting lean enough

You certainly do NOT need cardio every day. Cardio is overrated for fat loss. All you need is 3-5x/week.

You don't want to lift so much. 4 days a week is plenty. You will overtrain.

I posted in response to a post in the nutrition section regarding workout design. I suggest you read it. But basically, I would do an upper/lower split, but only FOUR days: on, on, off, on, on, off, off. Combine your chest/back for two days and legs for two days. Arms don't need that much work: they're small muscles. You don't need that much cardio...with it there is no way you can build muscle. Fat loss comes through DIET. Work on that.

I did read through that other post you wrote. It was very helpful
    Thank you much