Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)

O/T - Knee Sleeves and Wraps

I figured I'd post this here since having browsed here for a while, and posted on and off, I've found there are some pretty knowledgeable folks posting 'round these parts. So, I have a question.

Lately, the back of my knees have been acting up, moreso in the left than the right. It's not especially painful, although it feels very uncomfortable at times, especially when speed squatting or doing dumbbell split squats. I'm fairly certain it's not the joint since I don't feel it in the knee itself (although I could be wrong), but what I am thinking is that either a tendon and/or muscle (lower hamstring) is slightly strained and/or inflammed. In any case, I'll be hitting up the doctor tomorrow. But...

One bit I have noticed is that my gym's air conditioning is pretty cool, so it could be an issue with staying warm when doing the last half of my max effort work. In that case, would it make sense to start wearing neoprene sleeves? And moreover, should I start wrapping my knees before heavy squats?

I'd like to nip this in the bud before it becomes a problem that inhibits training. And moreover, I'd really hate to have dodgy knees at my age. I'd greatly appreciate any useful feedback any of you could give.

Cheers.
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Knee sleeves would be a good, simple way to keep your knee warm. It won't add any pounds to your lifts, so you would know you could lift the weight without them.

Knee wraps on the other hand will not help with the keeping warm issue. They are designed to protect the knee joint when squatting heavy. How much are you squatting? For most people I have read about they don't start using them until they get to heavy weights (400+) and they are only worn with over 90% of there projected max (worn either with heavy singles or triples). Knee wraps WILL add pounds to your squat no doubt. So whatever you can do with them will be higher to do without them.

If i were you, I would try knee sleeves. It will keep your knees warms without adding anythign to your squat. Kneep wraps are more of a competition powerlifting thing for joint protection more than anythign

Crossing the Rubicon Serpens Aeon's Avatar
    Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000) Serpens Aeon is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by dbcb314
    Knee sleeves would be a good, simple way to keep your knee warm. It won't add any pounds to your lifts, so you would know you could lift the weight without them.

Knee wraps on the other hand will not help with the keeping warm issue. They are designed to protect the knee joint when squatting heavy. How much are you squatting? For most people I have read about they don't start using them until they get to heavy weights (400+) and they are only worn with over 90% of there projected max (worn either with heavy singles or triples). Knee wraps WILL add pounds to your squat no doubt. So whatever you can do with them will be higher to do without them.

If i were you, I would try knee sleeves. It will keep your knees warms without adding anythign to your squat. Kneep wraps are more of a competition powerlifting thing for joint protection more than anythign
    Sounds good. I haven't tested my squat in a while, but I'm box squatting in the 360+ range, so I'd imagine I'll have a 400lb squat before the year is over. I haven't moved any ridiculous weight yet, so I have yet to invest in anything like wraps or a good belt (although the time to do so approaches it seems).
    "Glory, as anyone knows, is bitter stuff."
    -- Yukio Mishima

"[T]here is no inner man, man is in the world, and only in the world does he know himself."
    -- Maurice Merleau-Ponty