greekhero2583 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Finger tip push ups

Anyone do fingertip push ups? with how many fingers? and do u think this is good to help grip as i started doing them and my fingers got noticably stronger when working with a gripper

wow strong hands world_in_union's Avatar
    world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hell Yeah!

I've just started doing them again, im starting a whole new program based around bodyweight excersises (and no weights).

I can't really give you any averages as I have JUST started doing them, I used to do them as well as push ups and stuff about a year ago, but stopped and only started again now. But heres what I do:

I can do 20+ on my fingertips, but there are 2 ways u can do them. You can do them on fingertips, and you can do them on like the top third of the fingers. Both are hard, but on the tips are obviously harder

I also do them on certain ammounts of fingers, a common one I do is finger and thumb for both hands. I can do about just over 20 of those, FULL FORM. I only ever do full form nowadays, so even though the numbers are lower, they are all the more impressive.

I once did one on finger and thumb of ONE hand (Bruce Lee style), but that was really at my peak, it's gonna take a while to get back up to that again

I am heavily involved in grip and suchforth, for my rugby training, as well as using grippers, and forearm work. Grip is honestly so crucial, probably more important to "real world strength" than anything else IMO.

Oh and don't let anyone tell you they are dangerous, it's bull****. You can stretch them first though, and click them also.

Another thing you might like to think about is finger pull ups

I used to do those, they are really good as well to compliment. But they are pretty hard to do, takes alot of training, you need patience

greekhero2583 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    **** good stuff am way off that before i broke muy finger i was up to doing sets of 10 with three fingers followed by sets of 20 with all fingers but afta i started them i definatly noticed imporvements in my hand strength

EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) EvilLion has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Whenever I do pushups, I have to use my fingers anyway cos my wrist becomes extremely painful if I bend it back, so 'proper' pushups are out of the question.
    If you're growing, you're training/eating properly.
    If you aren't growing, then you aren't doing the above 2 properly.

"too much thinking. grab weight and just f**king lift." $AJ answering question about position of shoulders during shoulder presses :D

bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I do finger tips with all fingers, and i can do them with only the index and thumb on both hands. Gets kinda hard doing it that way though the index and thumb don't like the pressure.

As for all finger tip pushups i can do quite a few, i don't know exactly how many. But i do normal pushups with an extra 50 pounds on me, 3 sets of 10. So i get used to the weight. I am trying for 1 hand index finger and thumb pushups (Bruce Lee Style). Now that's a challenge.
    Last edited by bladehines; 05-16-2006 at 09:15 AM.
    Height:5ft 8
    Weight:156
    Body Fat %: 10%

biceps:14.50
    forearms:11.50
    thighs:22.00
    calves:14.0
    chest:40
    waist:30.75

max bench: 225
    squat: 325

world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) world_in_union has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bladehines
    I am trying for 1 hand index finger and thumb pushups (Bruce Lee Style). Now that's a challenge.
    Yeah try it with the legs shoulder width apart

One of the great things about training for grip/hand strength and expecially finger strength is not only do you get kick ass hand strength but you also strengthen these parts against injury.

I mean how many times have you sprained a finger by pushing/punching someone, or hitting them on a ball the wrong way or something? Happens to everyone, but you'll find you can for the most part avoid these injurys if you have good finger strength.

I have played rugby for years and let me tell you grip is probably one of the most important atributes to have in any sport. Not only does it help with passing and catching but it's an awesome saviour for tackling as well. I assume this would cross over to American football as well, that manhandling strength really does help. Ever tried catching a wet ball? Ever slipped off a tackle? This is what im talking about.

Me all for a section on this forum specifically for grip strength!

farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250) farmerlee has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I can manage 5 regular push ups using only the first 2 fingers and thumbs on my hands, this is at a bodyweight of 200lbs.
    "Holy, holy, holy is the LORD Almighty; the whole earth is full of his glory."

Isaiah 6:3

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    Hm. Nope.
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

Originally Posted by crazygerman
    Hm. Nope.
    Im supprised really to tell you the truth.

bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bladehines has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by world_in_union
    Yeah try it with the legs shoulder width apart

Yea that's the key in doing 1 handed pushups. Alot of people cheat and have their legs 3 times the distance of your shoulders apart, and then they put there hand in the center of there chest to balance them selfs.

When i do one handers, i do a regular pushup with one hand. Same form, same distance apart for legs, etc...

those are 3 times harder then the other version of 1 handed pushups.

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    Im supprised really to tell you the truth.
    ok...?
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

Heres a video I just took of me doing fingertips if anyone wants to see

Well 2 fingers at least

http://media.putfile.com/2-finger-press-ups

Sorry about the school uniform.

Just a simple set of 10. Was my last of 3 sets so my fingers were wacked.

failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    when i do them my thumb goes into extreme pain. is it because im locking it?

Originally Posted by failuretogain
    when i do them my thumb goes into extreme pain. is it because im locking it?
    Well..

How many fingers does that happen on? Does it happen irrespective of how many fingers you do it on?

They are incredbly hard..but then again if you max out you'll probably get a good burn...

Do you stretch them first? Do you want some links of how to stretch the hands and fingers?

braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000) braindx is just really nice. (+1000)
    Just make sure not to suddenly shift your weight while doing them. You don't want to have to tell people that you can't play football or whatever sport/game because you sprained your fingers doing pushups, heh.

KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) KingSht is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Plate pinches work your pinch grip just as well.
    Geese_Howard: Just walk into any mental institution and tell the docs in there everything about your religion but substitute the name muhammed for 'Punjab' and see if they let you walk out...

2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50) 2003 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    What makes fingertip push ups even harder is if you remove the thumb.

Even on the 4 fingers of each hand, 8 fingers and no thumbs is probably alot harder than finger and thumb of each hand. It removes half the balance.

Thats how you advance to one finger push ups I guess :O

failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) failuretogain has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Well..

How many fingers does that happen on? Does it happen irrespective of how many fingers you do it on?

They are incredbly hard..but then again if you max out you'll probably get a good burn...

Do you stretch them first? Do you want some links of how to stretch the hands and fingers?
    hook up the links. i can only do it on two fingers and thumbs. it feels like my thumb is getting pushed the wrong way is there a way to prevent this or position my joint so it doesnt hurt?

Originally Posted by failuretogain
    hook up the links. i can only do it on two fingers and thumbs. it feels like my thumb is getting pushed the wrong way is there a way to prevent this or position my joint so it doesnt hurt?
    Heres some links:

http://www.rodaleinstitute.org/krrn/..._fingers.shtml (sorry for the humor lol)

http://images.google.co.nz/imgres?im...lr%3D%26sa%3DN

^^ The stretch in that picture is a very good one to do, you can also do it on individual fingers.

Just do some of them before you do em to get your fingers warmed up.

How many reps can you do on 2 fingers and thumbs?

Do you feel the thumb pain when you do them on all 10 fingers?

Perhaps you should do them only on 10 fingers untill you are super competent then start taking fingers away then.

you can also use an eagle catcher finger machine. here is a link:

http://www.martialartsmart.net/20-71.html

I here they work good, i want to get one soon. I will probably get one from that company.

Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    whenever I do finger tip push-ups, my finger just hurts.

Originally Posted by Wangtang6911
    whenever I do finger tip push-ups, my finger just hurts.
    And when you do Bicep curls your Biceps don't?

Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) Wangtang6911 has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    And when you do Bicep curls your Biceps don't?
    hahahaha thats a good point.