Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100)

Question Are the carbs in my protein shake sufficient?

My post workout shake contains GNC's whey protein powder, and 1.5-2 mugs of milk. A serving of the powder has 31gram total, 21 protein and 5 carbs (1 fiber 2 sugars). I usually take a serving and a half (makes 40+gs of protein with the milk).

Anyway, I was wondering if the carbons that are already in the powder and the milk enough for my insulin spike, or should I throw something else in?
    If yes, what if I drink it with water only and not milk?

P.S I'm going to order my next protein powder from here, I'd love to hear recommendations (also comments about powders with or without carbs, with or without (more) glutamine).

Oh yeah, I'm bulking.

WillyB has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I don't think lactose makes a very good insulin spike. You really shoud use dextrose, honey, gatorade powder or anything else that is very highly glycemic immediately following your workout.

MaxJr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Kaner,

My post workout shake breaks down to about:

45g protein
    45g dextrose
    25g malto

I drink it down with water.

Try a search on "post workout shake" for more ideas.

Regards,
    Max

Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100) Kaner is not very well liked. (-100)
    Isn't 45/25 an overkill? I mean, all you need is a spike...
    Can I use normal sugar instead? Or at least till I order some dextrose/malto?

wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000) wildman536 is just really nice. (+1000)
    post workout shake nonos

fat, low Gi carbs, and fiber

try and avouid them and youll have a good shake!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Low GI?

coreman has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    do some research....

Originally posted by coreman
    do some research....
    I did, and found no mention of the right amount of sugars or whether normal sucrose is ok also...

MaxJr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Kaner,

A good guideline is 0.8g/kg (or 0.35/lb) of carbs post workout.

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/reprint/72/1/106.pdf

You can find great information on GI (Glycemic Index) here:

http://www.mendosa.com/gi.htm

Problem with sucrose is that is basically one molecule of glucose connected to to one molecule of fructose. The fructose being the problem:

"Because fructose does not stimulate insulin secretion from pancreatic ß cells, the consumption of foods and beverages containing fructose produces smaller postprandial insulin excursions than does consumption of glucose-containing carbohydrate. Because leptin production is regulated by insulin responses to meals, fructose consumption also reduces circulating leptin concentrations. The combined effects of lowered circulating leptin and insulin in individuals who consume diets that are high in dietary fructose could therefore increase the likelihood of weight gain and its associated metabolic sequelae. In addition, fructose, compared with glucose, is preferentially metabolized to lipid in the liver. Fructose consumption induces insulin resistance, impaired glucose tolerance, hyperinsulinemia, hypertriacylglycerolemia, and hypertension in animal models. The data in humans are less clear. Although there are existing data on the metabolic and endocrine effects of dietary fructose that suggest that increased consumption of fructose may be detrimental in terms of body weight and adiposity and the metabolic indexes associated with the insulin resistance syndrome, much more research is needed to fully understand the metabolic effect of dietary fructose in humans. "

From here:

http://www.ajcn.org/cgi/content/abst...resourcetype=1

Max

Thanks, max. I guess I'll get some dextrose. Do you recommend anything specific? or anything else?