midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)

Question ??? Are My Kidneys and Liver in danger ???

First of all Im 24 years old weight 190 lbs and am 6"1 tall.
    I have just recently began the Mark Rippetoe Starting strength routine (3 workouts per week)
    I am currently taking in around 3000 calories a day and am trying to increase that to 4000.
    My bulking is very clean and consists of approx 20% fat 30% protein and 50%
    Carbs.
    So I go to the healh food store today to find a low sugar weight gainer to help me obtain that extra 1000 calories.
    The lady I talk to claims to have a masters degree and after hearing about my diet and workout routine her jaw drops.
    She claims that there is no way I should be taking in this many calories and tells me that she is terrified for my liver and kidneys.
    I argued with her for a little bit but she insisted she was right. Needless to say I didnt walk out of there with any weight gainer.
    OK a few points before replies.

1. I know that for those extra calories I will be told to eat more real food and not go with liquids. However with my work I simply dont have the time for this extra meal.

2. I have gained 10 lbs since starting this diet but I am also aware that alot of this may be water weight.

3. This lady with a supposed masters degree was kind of a short pudgy lady.

Now needless to say I am a little bit concerned about this for she definently seemed genuinely concerned for the health of my liver and kidneys.

So i drove home from the health food store and posted this and hoping to get some good answers from some real experts.

Any advice would be muchly appreciated thank you.

IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) IraHays is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    From what I have read excess protein can be bad if you already have a pre-existing kidney condition but would not cause any problems if your kidney's are working properly.

I have seen nothing about excess protein and the liver.

Bman00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bman00 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I'm no expert but I had blood work done last tuesday b/c my mom watned me 2. My results showed problems with my kidneys and liver functions. I'm not 100 % sure what u would call it, but the doc was concerned and told me to stop taking whey protein and all other supps for two weeks and then I gotta go get it checked again. PM me if u want any more help

MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    First of all start with the 3000 calories you started with and then after two weeks increase it by 500 and then after every two weeks increasing your intake by 300 should do you good but don't just suddenly increase your calories by 1000 ?! First of all that lady probably didn't even do a sports course at college (LOL !) and second of all compared to normal people/athletes the amount of calories which bodybuilders take in daily will seem "dangerously" high but that's what bodybuilders do push things to the extreme ?! I'm currently in the second week of my bulking diet and I'm having 4000 - 4200 calories a day and I seem to be fine so I wouldn't worry about it ? Obviously if you see that you're starting to pick up a bit of fat etc reduce your calories by about 200 and maybe try having a ratio of 30 (protein)/30 (fats)/ 40 (carbs) this might be a better choice to go with but at the end of the day it's up to you and you have to listen to what your body is telling you ? Good luck !
    Last edited by MRipped; 05-12-2006 at 02:39 PM.
    Iron, Pump, Burn = Life

Unleash the Animal inside !

"GO BIG OR GO HOME !"

MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MRipped has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Bman00
    I'm no expert but I had blood work done last tuesday b/c my mom watned me 2. My results showed problems with my kidneys and liver functions. I'm not 100 % sure what u would call it, but the doc was concerned and told me to stop taking whey protein and all other supps for two weeks and then I gotta go get it checked again. PM me if u want any more help
    This can also be caused by drinking excessive amounts of water and not neccessarily caused by your supplements ?
    Iron, Pump, Burn = Life

Unleash the Animal inside !

"GO BIG OR GO HOME !"

midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10) midwesttester has a little shameless behaviour in the past. (-10)
    Thanks for the replies.
    I am still waiting for an expert to get ahold of this thread and maybe help me understand the science behind this.
    Thanks again any opinion or advice is appreciated.

wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) wumple has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I would direct you here. So maybe it's addressed to 'Mom and Dad' but it's still got some good information in it.