gimmick has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Timing of Plyometrics with Weight Training

Just a quick question I am not certain about. While doing weight training (to improve vertical) with stuff like squats, deadlifts and power cleans etc, when is the right time to add plyometrics to this program? During off days inbetween my weight training sessions, or should I add plyometrics at the end of my entire weight training cycle when the time for playing basketball comes around again?

solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) solidgold10287 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gimmick
    Just a quick question I am not certain about. While doing weight training (to improve vertical) with stuff like squats, deadlifts and power cleans etc, when is the right time to add plyometrics to this program? During off days inbetween my weight training sessions, or should I add plyometrics at the end of my entire weight training cycle when the time for playing basketball comes around again?
    i think it depends on what works for you. Me personally i add them after my leg workout. Others add it in on off days and some others do it before. My suggestion would be to test it out and find what works the best for you.
    Height: 6'1"
    Weight: 175 lbs
    Bench: N/A
    Squat: N/A

Current supps:
    - Milk Chocolate 100% ON Whey
    - Omega Sports Thunder
    - Generic Fish Oil
    - Generic Multi

Past supps:
    - Controlled Labs Green Buldge/White Blood Stack
    - Controlled Labs GlycerGrow
    - Universal's Shock/Storm Stack
    - BSN NO-Xplode
    - Rocky Road/Chocolate/Cookies and Cream 100% ON Whey
    - Higher Power CEE

Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10) Vicom is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I personally do them before my upper body workout.

Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50) Robb_P will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    do them before weights ..... remember it's quality and not quantity. If you do them on knackered legs you won't get as much benefit.

bodytrainer10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Don't be doing plyo's unless you can squat twice your bodyweight...at the absolute minimum 1.5x's your bodyweight

sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by bodytrainer10
    Don't be doing plyo's unless you can squat twice your bodyweight...at the absolute minimum 1.5x's your bodyweight

Why do you say that............?

Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bodytrainer10
    I agree with 1.5x... I used to have a really bad squat, did plyos anyway, no benefit. I waited until I got my squat up to a decent number and then went back to plyos, big gains.

You can't improve the efficiency of your muscle if you have no muscle to begin with

Suffers from mazophilia RavensFan2k3's Avatar
    RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) RavensFan2k3 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Lector606

You can't improve the efficiency of your muscle if you have no muscle to begin with
    Thats a good way to put it.
    Ravens fan and Gators fan 4 life

***Florida Gators Crew***

bodytrainer10 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Plyo's are VERY taxing on your muscle fibers and nervous system. If you don't have the proper level of strength and motor unit control you won't see very good benefits from plyo's and you'll probably end up injuring yourself. Low intensity plyo's are fine for just about anybody though. Bounding, skipping, hopping are considered light intensity. Save the depth drops and more advanced stuff for later...when you are closer to squatting twice your bodyweight. Plyo's should be part of the icing on the cake, not the cake mix itself.

sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500) sillz10 is not very helpful. (-500)
    I agree with 1.5x... I used to have a really bad squat, did plyos anyway, no benefit. I waited until I got my squat up to a decent number and then went back to plyos, big gains.

I see your logic but i've seen people get gains without having 1.5x squat but why not make the current/coming muscles faster to begin with. A study of people combined squats and ploys with people that did not have 1.5x(most of them were at 20pounds over 1x) and people got a lot more gains(vert/sprint) with both than one or the other.

edit: im just talking about what i heard, i do not disagree or agree with anything

Edit2: search around the web there are a lot of good web pages with workout and see were they put them with legs.
    Last edited by sillz10; 05-11-2006 at 12:57 PM.

Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Lector606 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by sillz10
    I see your logic but i've seen people get gains without having 1.5x squat but why not make the current/coming muscles faster to begin with. A study of people combined squats and ploys with people that did not have 1.5x(most of them were at 20pounds over 1x) and people got a lot more gains(vert/sprint) with both than one or the other.

edit: im just talking about what i heard, i do not disagree or agree with anything

Edit2: search around the web there are a lot of good web pages with workout and see were they put them with legs.
    I think these type of study overlook the fact that (as Person usually suggests) people that are looking for this information are also athletes and most sports have many plyometric aspects to them. A 175 pound person with a 195 pound squat probably can't handle plyos, weights, and numerous sport practices a week. I have made the best improvements in athleticism in the last couple months only doing sprints and weights for cross training, with practices 6 days a week.

IDENTITY_ has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I think these type of study overlook the fact that (as Person usually suggests) people that are looking for this information are also athletes and most sports have many plyometric aspects to them. A 175 pound person with a 195 pound squat probably can't handle plyos, weights, and numerous sport practices a week. I have made the best improvements in athleticism in the last couple months only doing sprints and weights for cross training, with practices 6 days a week.
    I'm a tennis player and have the same dilemma. I want to add 15-20 pounds of muscle onto my frame (currently 195lbs approx 14-15% bf - can see top abs when relaxed).....
    I have long tennis sessions with pretty hardcore drills, a few sprinting side to side drills, points etc.... how can you build when doing 8-10hours of tennis a weak? Can you really improve size when your chest's getting pounded through constant serving?