C_S 03 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Ergopharm Amp found to contain methylhexaneamine

What do you Scivation/Primaforce employees think about this? The Washington Post apparently ran an article about it yesterday.

You can view it here: http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn...050700913.html

I've previously used Amp and I thought it was a kick ass product, but this raises some concern for me. It seems no one is really familiar with methylhexaneamine and using a supplement that contains such an unknown compound doesn't seem like a very good idea, although I had intended on running another bottle of AMP in the near future.

I think I recall Derek and Layne mentioning that they had used AMP...I'd like to hear their take on this especially.
    Under Construction

Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Pup0182 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Anytime the media gets a chance to take a swipe at PA they do. There are a lot of products out there with substances that are not widely known, hell, most people still think creatine is an anabolic steroid. I would bet PA's connection to Bonds is what drives the media to look into every little thing he does just so they can ostracize him further.

Another thing, on other boards (not sure of the rules about linking out here so i'll stay quiet) there is a lot of speculation that methylhexaneamine isn't even the active ingredient in AMP and this is more speculative journalism done by a journalist with an axe to grind against the supplement industry.
    Last edited by Pup0182; 05-09-2006 at 07:55 AM.

chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    i don't understand how this changes anything for you. Before, you were taking it and although you knew there was SOMETHING in there making you feel the way you did, you have no idea what it was. You still took the product. Now, you at least know what that mystery ingredient is, although we still don't really know much about it. Why is this making you not want to take it when you had no problem taking it before?

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    the article said AMP's ingredient was structurally similar to amphetamines. That is just blatently false. It has no aromatic ring, a requirement for classification as an amphetamine. In fact, phenylalanine & tyrosine (amino acids) are closer structural matches than methylhexaneamine. I ran a structural homolog search on it anyway. It is not even an 80% match. It is not a structural match for ephedrine, amphetamine, methamphetamine or the like.

-Layne

The Physique Architect str8flexed's Avatar
    str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) str8flexed has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by chris3g
    i don't understand how this changes anything for you. Before, you were taking it and although you knew there was SOMETHING in there making you feel the way you did, you have no idea what it was. You still took the product. Now, you at least know what that mystery ingredient is, although we still don't really know much about it. Why is this making you not want to take it when you had no problem taking it before?
    because it sounds scary

AMP was advertised as having Gernamine as it's main ingredient. As it was described by Ergopharm, Geranamine is a constituent of Geranium oil that mimmicks insulin. That sounded perfectly safe to me. And coupled with the fact that I had read some absolutely rave reviews on the product by respected members of this forum, as well as others, I had very little worry about taking it. But now it comes out that methylhexaneamine is also a constituent of geranium oil, and that it has properties similar to amphetamines and ephedrine. To top it off, it wasn't even mentioned on the label so naturally that raised a little suspicion on my mind.

But I did have doubts about the article from the beginning. Anytime the media addresses the supplement industry you have to keep your eye out for misinformation, because there is so much ignorance and/or blatant lies. And it was ran by the Washington Post, a paper commonly referred to as the Washington "Compost" by people in the DC area, so needless to say I had my doubts.

But I wanted to run it by the guys on here to get their take before I made a judgment about it myself. Thanks to Layne for clearing some things up...exactly what I was looking for.

Not sure why I needed to explain myself to you but there it is.
    Under Construction

chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50) chris3g will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by C_S 03
    AMP was advertised as having Gernamine as it's main ingredient. As it was described by Ergopharm, Geranamine is a constituent of Geranium oil that mimmicks insulin. That sounded perfectly safe to me. And coupled with the fact that I had read some absolutely rave reviews on the product by respected members of this forum, as well as others, I had very little worry about taking it. But now it comes out that methylhexaneamine is also a constituent of geranium oil, and that it has properties similar to amphetamines and ephedrine. To top it off, it wasn't even mentioned on the label so naturally that raised a little suspicion on my mind.

But I did have doubts about the article from the beginning. Anytime the media addresses the supplement industry you have to keep your eye out for misinformation, because there is so much ignorance and/or blatant lies. And it was ran by the Washington Post, a paper commonly referred to as the Washington "Compost" by people in the DC area, so needless to say I had my doubts.

But I wanted to run it by the guys on here to get their take before I made a judgment about it myself. Thanks to Layne for clearing some things up...exactly what I was looking for.

Not sure why I needed to explain myself to you but there it is.
    well of course the article is 95% bs but that's not really the point i was making. we all knew from the start that "geranamine" was not a real chemical name of a substance - it's a name that PA came up with to hide the actual name of the ingredient, so that he could (understandably) make a little money on all his hard work before any company could order the stuff in bulk from china, throw a label on a bottle, and sell it.

obviously we also knew that the ingredient was some type of stimulant...now we just know WHICH one specifically it is. i guess i just don't get the frenzy happening over this. everyone is like "OMG methylhexamine!!!" and it kinda does seem, like layne said, that it's because it sounds scary.

well of course the article is 95% bs but that's not really the point i was making. we all knew from the start that "geranamine" was not a real chemical name of a substance - it's a name that PA came up with to hide the actual name of the ingredient, so that he could (understandably) make a little money on all his hard work before any company could order the stuff in bulk from china, throw a label on a bottle, and sell it.

obviously we also knew that the ingredient was some type of stimulant...now we just know WHICH one specifically it is. i guess i just don't get the frenzy happening over this. everyone is like "OMG methylhexamine!!!" and it kinda does seem, like layne said, that it's because it sounds scary.
    Well, like I said, the fact it wasn't listed on the bottle (which very possibly is because he wanted to make sure other companies wouldn't bulk order from China and then produce rip-off products) and the fact that it was described in the Post as having similar properties as amphetamine and ephedrine (which we now know is basically BS) was enough to just take a quick step back and ask, what am I really taking here?

I wasn't exactly freaking out about it, I just had some minor concerns I wanted to clear up before I ran another bottle.
    Under Construction

Originally Posted by C_S 03
    Well, like I said, the fact it wasn't listed on the bottle (which very possibly is because he wanted to make sure other companies wouldn't bulk order from China and then produce rip-off products) and the fact that it was described in the Post as having similar properties as amphetamine and ephedrine (which we now know is basically BS) was enough to just take a quick step back and ask, what am I really taking here?

I wasn't exactly freaking out about it, I just had some minor concerns I wanted to clear up before I ran another bottle.
    i see, my comments weren't so much directed at you but more so the whole situation in general.