Kicks like Chuck Norris gogotheviking's Avatar
    gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Best cardio for lowering blood pressure?

See topic...

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Well are you lifting? Cause that actually will lower your blood pressure as much as, if not more than, actual cardio.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gogotheviking has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    How could that be? i mean, if i don't lift to train endurance, will it lower it as much? and also, why do you think that lifting is better than cardio for that? I always heard that cardio is the way to go for lowering BP...

dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50) dance2trance will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    supplement with fish oil on top of your weights/cardio
    BPhysio, BBiomed Sci (Hons)

Current supps (cutting):
    - Universal Ultra Whey Pro
    - Gaspari Size-On Pre Contest
    - Universal Animal Rage (currently off)
    - VPX Power Shock (currently on)
    - My gym music playlist
    - My Animal shirt :P

Need to calculate your cutting/bulking calories? Try my Daily Calorie Calculator:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=137277813

f*ck you, carpal tunnel mightymouse37's Avatar
    mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000) mightymouse37 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Eh, I just posted a reply w/a link to a meta-analysis dealing w/resistance training and blood pressure, and bb.com wouldn't let me post it. Anyway, there are a few theories as to why resistance trg lowers resting blood pressure, though the actual catalyst is still not known.

Your best bet is a combination of lifting and cardio, coupled with a healty diet.

I did have a friend back in grad school who was a pretty serious natural bodybuilder - he did eat clean, but never really did any cardio. We tested each other's BP in a lab for class one day, and his was 90/60. Pretty low. And despite the fact that I'm a type 1 diabetic w/a family history of hypertension (mom and dad's side) and never do cardio, and don't eat real clean, mine's never over 120/80. I do lift at least 4 days a week, though.

As for cardio, shoot for low to moderate intensity (50-70% of max vo2 or max hr) for at least 30-40 minutes. I prefer the recumbent bike because it lets me sit and read while I'm working out, though you'll burn more total calories running or using an elliptical machine.
    You're = you are.
    Your = your.

I have no respect for those with no respect for logic.
    - Arnold, "Twins"

When life gives you a T-Rex, go Ninja-kick it in the head.
    - Rayne Summers

Thanks for the answer. On another thought, what are the dangers for living with a naturally low blood pressure, like your friend<s (90/60)?

WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gogotheviking
    Thanks for the answer. On another thought, what are the dangers for living with a naturally low blood pressure, like your friend<s (90/60)?
    Im 107/65, tested by my family physician the other day. She said I was perfectly healthy and there aren't any risks to very low blood pressure unless you have a history of heart problems in your family, which I don't.

ps-I haven't done cardio since I ran track 2 years ago

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    getting in a hot sauna/hot tub after having a couple drinks is the main risk. It will cause a pressure drop and if you're already 90/60, it could be dangerous.

Heavy resistance training improves your body's ability to circulate blood, often better than cardio. Using them together is the most effective though.

You're question was the best cardio to use. For the most part it doesn't really matter. Any cardio is better than no cardio. On the other hand, if you've been sedentary a long time and your blood pressure is high, I wouldn't hit the stair stepper for an hour right away. You might start on a cycle to get into it.

Also, how high is it? Is it being treated with medication? I highly recommend having it treated with at least a mild ace inhibitor until your health is where you don't need it any more. If your numbers improve, your physician will lower your dose periodically and eventually end the prescription if you've improved enough. Good luck.
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by gecko2424
    getting in a hot sauna/hot tub after having a couple drinks is the main risk. It will cause a pressure drop and if you're already 90/60, it could be dangerous.

Heavy resistance training improves your body's ability to circulate blood, often better than cardio. Using them together is the most effective though.

You're question was the best cardio to use. For the most part it doesn't really matter. Any cardio is better than no cardio. On the other hand, if you've been sedentary a long time and your blood pressure is high, I wouldn't hit the stair stepper for an hour right away. You might start on a cycle to get into it.

Also, how high is it? Is it being treated with medication? I highly recommend having it treated with at least a mild ace inhibitor until your health is where you don't need it any more. If your numbers improve, your physician will lower your dose periodically and eventually end the prescription if you've improved enough. Good luck.
    Good advice! I'd also like to throw in that if you aren't used to cardio, start off with weightlifting and gradually shorten the rest periods between sets. Also, swimming is a fun form of cardio that is a good overall body workout as well