DonBurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DonBurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

6 reps vs 12 reps

what is the real difference that doing 6 reps vs 12 reps will do for you. ive started to up the weight and do less reps. i feel more sore when i do more reps with less weights. which is better for growth?

i try to do about 6 sets- including warmup and cooldown. should i try taking some weight off and doing more reps? will i see a difference?

muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50) muaythaiguy15 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Under 5 reps is for powerlifting (raw strength). The more reps, the more fatigue. 6-10 is ideal for bodybuilding I think. I like to switch it up. 12 reps one week, maybe 6 the next, 10 the next. It keeps my muscles from getting used to a rep scheme and I dont hit plateus as much.

SpHall24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpHall24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SpHall24 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    if your trying to gain mass pick a weight that you can only do 6 to 8 times. if your tonning bump it up your reps to 10- 12.

quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) quest-x is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by SpHall24
    if your trying to gain mass pick a weight that you can only do 6 to 8 times. if your tonning bump it up your reps to 10- 12.
    doing more reps won't "tone" your muscles. that's a huge bodybuilding myth.

morning toilet squat king jimdab's Avatar
    jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    what the heck is "toning" anyways? i never really knew

i knew when you lose bodyfat you look cut, is that pretty much what toned is as well?
    My journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=785650

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    muscle tone is the "retained contraction" a muscle maintains while at rest. It has to do with a variety of things.

The way people describe "toned" in bodybuilding terms is generally "Brad Pitt in Fight Club", i.e. low bodyfat and lean, wiry/muscular.

and why not use both 6 and 12 reps? Do a day where your primary exercises (better be compounds!) you hit 6 rep sets, and do a day later in the week where you hit your primary exercises with 12 rep sets.

prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

!!

your best bet is to include a wide variety of rep ranges in every workout. every time i hit the gym my workouts contain some 6, 8, 10, 12, and 15 rep sets. once in awhile i may do a 4 rep set too.
    supplements- whey protein, special two vitamin, amino fuel, NO Xplode, Tren Xtreme, Mass Xtreme, liver detoxifier and support, p5p, Reversitol, Met-RX Big 100 meal replacement bars, and lots of calories!

morning toilet squat king jimdab's Avatar
    jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) jimdab has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by kethnaab
    muscle tone is the "retained contraction" a muscle maintains while at rest. It has to do with a variety of things.

The way people describe "toned" in bodybuilding terms is generally "Brad Pitt in Fight Club", i.e. low bodyfat and lean, wiry/muscular..
    so basically as long as you have a decent amount of lean body mass, the less bodyfat you have...the more toned you are.

so to get toned just keep lifting and doing cardio then, right?
    My journal - http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=785650

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by jimdab
    Not necessarily. You need to get your BF% down to have that "toned" look. Weights and cardio will help but I see a lot of fat people lifting weights and doing cardio but they sure aren't toned. That's cause their diet is $hit.

I really don't like that word anyway. Toned reminds me of the people selling fitness product on TV and tell you that the burn you're feeling is fat melting away
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

DonBurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) DonBurk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ill mix it up every week then.

i only get to do one muscle a week anyways. i usually go to fatigue and im slightly sore the next day. im assuming a week is more than enough time to recover.

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by jimdab
    so basically as long as you have a decent amount of lean body mass, the less bodyfat you have...the more toned you are.

yup, control the diet, lift weights for strength, and perform cardio to assist in fat loss and for overall health. Sounds like a recipe for success!

Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10) Kozma is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you will see more strength gain with 6 reps

I would rather do 6.