Page 1 of 16 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast
    Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50)

My gym, Planet Fitness, just banned deadlifts and T-bar Rows... HELP!!!! :( :( :(

So i go in to my Planet Fitness gym here in boring old Naugatuck, Connecticut when i see they put up a sign that said something like, "Effective immediately, taking the olympic bar off the bench and using them on the ground is no longer allowed. Therefore, exercises like t-bar rows and deadlifts are no longer allowed".

I asked the guy at the front desk why they did this and he just said, 'it's the policy'. WTF? I don't see the reason why they would do that... the floor in the gym is rubber and i never see anyone 'slam' the weights onto the ground!! Such BS. And it's such a great gym (well, except for having no squat rack, that sucks) too... only $10 a month. I'm so depressed now... someone please tell me this is some sort of joke and it's not really their policy to ban these exercises I'm going to try to contact their corporate office to see if i can get them to change their mind or something.

Any other planet fitness members have this problem?

Someone hold me!

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    That really sucks, buddy. What can I say. Go gym shopping, they don't deserve you.
    Time To Re-Schedule

TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) TravisLehr has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    based on your signature, it might be a good idea to leave the barbell on the bench and get to work.

in all seriousness, go to a real gym. you're paying $10 a month, beggers cant be choosers. enough said.

Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50) Stu Pidasso will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Hey man, sorry to hear that. I would talk to the managment and see what is up. Chances are the lifts are not the problem but rather the types of rouges that do them. I am one of those rouges and I train at a gym that has people like me training there. Do some research maybe if enough of you bitch they will change their policy. After all, they serve you! You do not serve them.

Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Probably the result of dumba$$es slamming weights around - bothering other patrons. Why I can seem to do those exercises without shaking the building to it's foundation but others can't continues to be a mystery. Being a gym member doesn't mean you should be able to behave in any manner you see fit. Be courteous to other members.

Don't sweat it bro. Just do em with dumbells. For $10 a month it's worth it.

Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50) Phokus will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Worldwide
    Probably the result of dumba$$es slamming weights around - bothering other patrons. Why I can seem to do those exercises without shaking the building to it's foundation but others can't continues to be a mystery. Being a gym member doesn't mean you should be able to behave in any manner you see fit. Be courteous to other members.

Don't sweat it bro. Just do em with dumbells. For $10 a month it's worth it.
    Except nobody 'slams' the barbell to the floor at my gym. There's probably 5 or 6 guys i know who do the deadlift there and they don't slam it... I make sure i let the bar down in a controlled mannger, i don't just drop the weight...

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by Phokus
    So i go in to my Planet Fitness gym here in boring old Naugatuck, Connecticut when i see they put up a sign that said something like, "Effective immediately, taking the olympic bar off the bench and using them on the ground is no longer allowed. Therefore, exercises like t-bar rows and deadlifts are no longer allowed".

I asked the guy at the front desk why they did this and he just said, 'it's the policy'. WTF? I don't see the reason why they would do that... the floor in the gym is rubber and i never see anyone 'slam' the weights onto the ground!! Such BS. And it's such a great gym (well, except for having no squat rack, that sucks) too... only $10 a month. I'm so depressed now... someone please tell me this is some sort of joke and it's not really their policy to ban these exercises I'm going to try to contact their corporate office to see if i can get them to change their mind or something.

Any other planet fitness members have this problem?

Someone hold me!
    I've said it many times before, it's all part of the "fitness center" revolution. All the guys rolling their eyes feeling content with their hardcore hole in the wall gym that lets them use chalk and has a power rack will soon be looking for a new place to train when one of the cashed up 800lb gorillas of the fitness industry buys it up or runs it out of business.

It's sad what's going on and it's all the more reason to listen to guys like DD who recommend buying a power rack, Oly bar, some weights, incline bench, a pair of adjustable DBs, and washing your hands of all this bull****. Take a good look around next time you're in there. Is anyone actually working out? I mean really breaking a sweat and busting their ass? It's full of people PRETENDING to work out.

Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs down

HAHAHAHAHAH! I trained at Planet Fitness for a while because my school gym was undergoing a huge rennovation, and boy, I'll tell ya, that place is somethin' different...haha!

First off, that judgement free zone crap = no bodybuilders or serious people wanted. When I first walked in to sign up, they said "Just so you know, bodybuilders and powerlifters aren't welcome here". And I don't even look that big...lol. Then there's that silly "Lunk Alarm" on the wall which the people at the front desk set off if they hear you dropping weights. The DB's there only go up to 80's to "prevent the meatheads from training here"...according to the manager.

The place is a joke. They yelled at me for deadlifting 365 pounds, right in the middle of my friggin set.

Planet Fitness is for old people who don't know anything about fitness, and it's for teenaged girls who just want to tone, do cardio, and use the tanning beds.
    The Chronicles of Gibblets
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=806401

Gibblets' Summer of Hell: Cutting Phase 2005
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=461571

Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Greek God has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gibblets
    HAHAHAHAHAH! I trained at Planet Fitness for a while because my school gym was undergoing a huge rennovation, and boy, I'll tell ya, that place is somethin' different...haha!

First off, that judgement free zone crap = no bodybuilders or serious people wanted. When I first walked in to sign up, they said "Just so you know, bodybuilders and powerlifters aren't welcome here". And I don't even look that big...lol. Then there's that silly "Lunk Alarm" on the wall which the people at the front desk set off if they hear you dropping weights. The DB's there only go up to 80's to "prevent the meatheads from training here"...according to the manager.
    Holy ****, that is really bad for business, and just poor taste, because if another gym opened up and said to any old folks or teenage girls and said, "no fake sluts or old hags in our gym, and all the dumbells start at 40's and go to 200 to prevent weaklings to come workout here" .....**** would hit the fan....
    Started:
    Height-5'.9 1/2"
    Weight-165
    Body fat%-16

Forum Register:
    Height-5'.9 1/2"
    Weight-182
    Bodyfat %-11

Currently:
    Height:Same
    Weight:189
    Bodyfat%:Same

Arnold is the Man

I'm just a regular dude iron619's Avatar
    iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) iron619 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    So i go in to my Planet Fitness gym here in boring old Naugatuck, Connecticut when i see they put up a sign that said something like, "Effective immediately, taking the olympic bar off the bench and using them on the ground is no longer allowed. Therefore, exercises like t-bar rows and deadlifts are no longer allowed"...
    Sorry to hear that man. But for $10 a month, you are still getting a good deal. I know that if I trained there just once, I would most likely get banned! Oh yeah, I train at 24 hour fitness, and the one in El cajon, CA, has a similar rule: No Deadlifting.
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    I've said it many times before, it's all part of the "fitness center" revolution. All the guys rolling their eyes feeling content with their hardcore hole in the wall gym that lets them use chalk and has a power rack will soon be looking for a new place to train when one of the cashed up 800lb gorillas of the fitness industry buys it up or runs it out of business.

It's sad what's going on and it's all the more reason to listen to guys like DD who recommend buying a power rack, Oly bar, some weights, incline bench, a pair of adjustable DBs, and washing your hands of all this bull****. Take a good look around next time you're in there. Is anyone actually working out? I mean really breaking a sweat and busting their ass? It's full of people PRETENDING to work out.
    Word!
    USMC: 1999-2003; 2009-Current

USPA / USAPL

Youtube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/iron619

Strength Training Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=765147

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Wow that really does suck. Find a way around it if possible. I do know that the rubber floors can get etched up pretty bad when lifters slide the weights off of the barbells to place them back where they were. Usually you'll see skid marks.

I just don't know anymore MoGeaYuglay's Avatar
    MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250) MoGeaYuglay has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    WHOA, GET THE F-CK OUTTA THAT GYM, IT'S BEEN PUSSIFIED!

(I would personally go on a rampage hearing this)
    If you think you can, you will.
    If you think you can't, you're right.

Milk does a body good. Sir_Malak's Avatar
    Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Sir_Malak is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Around my area there are some places like that ban 'bodybuilding tech's' etc..
    I ended up saving cash and building my own gym at home. Its all the same and I can focus 100% on the workout..the only drawback i sometimes have is not having a person to talk to or spot with..thats easily fixable with a realtive/close friend.

If i went into a gym and they said 'no bodybuilders here' id ask them 'define bodybuilder?' and if they said anything other than 'a dedicated weight training, focused, honorable, and innovated human' id probably laugh my way out the door.
    2014 Misc Raw Bench Press Contest winner in the 276lb+ 555lb lift @ ~280lbs
    2014 Obtained goal of 600+ raw bench press. Shoulder also hates me.
    2015 Lost 110 lbs and currently enjoy being healthy. Retired heavy bench press.
    2016 Stay healthy? Help others?
    2017 Staying Healthy
    2018 Might Return To The Game

KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50) KopyKat will become famous soon enough. (+50)

100% agreed!
    "I'm worried about deadlifts too. I mean the word "dead" has got to be in there for a reason. Are you sure they won't kill me?" - olympic

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz

Arrow

I'm so depressed now... someone please tell me this is some sort of joke and it's not really their policy to ban these exercises I'm going to try to contact their corporate office to see if i can get them to change their mind or something.
    I wouldn't waste your time. Read this:
    One of Planet Fitness' most significant departures from the norm is its firm rejection of the industry's lingering hardcore reputation. Its clubs go out of the way not to cater to zealous bodybuilders or powerlifters. There are no squat racks, dead-lifting platforms, or dumbbells heavier than 80 pounds, and "lunkhead" behavior-e.g., grunting loudly, dropping weights-isn't tolerated. In fact, franchisees are required to install a "Lunk Alarm" (similar to a police siren) that can be activated at the first sign of inappropriate behavior. If a member errs twice, they're ejected from the club-forever.

The company's commitment to a casual nonintimidating environment generates memberships. Grondahl estimates that, for every lunkhead a club loses, it attracts 200 new members. "Gold's, World, Powerhouse-they helped create the fitness revolution," he observes, "but their brand, their image-which most people still associate with bodybuilding-is going to hurt them in the long run. The hardcore market just isn't viable anymore."
    There you go, straight from the CEO/founder's mouth. For every "lunk head" they boot out, they've got 200 lemmings waiting to join.

Get the hell out of the there. Run, don't walk!

lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50) lifterohio will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Same reason Lewis Black uses IHOP as his health club, it makes you feel better to look around and see someone fatter, more bony, more old, etc. than you are.

People are paying for an ego boost, not to gain muscle. Well mabie they want to "tone-up" but that's about as far as it goes.

Boy do I love that word "tone", "Tone", "TONE", mmmmmmm, makes me want to laugh.

Sorry to hear dude, I would just be careful when you're there, try to keep as far away from the prying eyes of the local fitness experts as possible, don't know what else to say.

I wouldn't waste your time. Read this:
    One of Planet Fitness' most significant departures from the norm is its firm rejection of the industry's lingering hardcore reputation. Its clubs go out of the way not to cater to zealous bodybuilders or powerlifters. There are no squat racks, dead-lifting platforms, or dumbbells heavier than 80 pounds, and "lunkhead" behavior-e.g., grunting loudly, dropping weights-isn't tolerated. In fact, franchisees are required to install a "Lunk Alarm" (similar to a police siren) that can be activated at the first sign of inappropriate behavior. If a member errs twice, they're ejected from the club-forever.

The company's commitment to a casual nonintimidating environment generates memberships. Grondahl estimates that, for every lunkhead a club loses, it attracts 200 new members. "Gold's, World, Powerhouse-they helped create the fitness revolution," he observes, "but their brand, their image-which most people still associate with bodybuilding-is going to hurt them in the long run. The hardcore market just isn't viable anymore."
    There you go, straight from the CEO/founder's mouth. For every "lunk head" they boot out, they've got 200 lemmings waiting to join.

Get the hell out of the there. Run, don't walk!

Wow, i'm... stunned. Thanks for posting this dude.

Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Horseradish is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    When I first got my job I had to move to a new city and I was looking around for gyms. I went to one of them that seemed like a really nice facility. However, I was told that they have a "no grunting" policy as well as a dress code.

I ran the hell out of there as fast as I could. Luckily I found a great gym with plenty of plates and a rubberized floor so I can do deadlifts until I drop dead.

Go find another gym. You'll miss good hard workouts if you decide to stay at this one.

dnlm has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Gibblets

The place is a joke. They yelled at me for deadlifting 365 pounds, right in the middle of my friggin set.

Planet Fitness is for old people who don't know anything about fitness, and it's for teenaged girls who just want to tone, do cardio, and use the tanning beds.
    The 80 pound dumbbell thing reminds me of my school/community's gym. Except we don't have all those stupid rules but we do have to deal with idiots though. Some crazy dude told me not to drop the dumbbells even though I was guiding them all the way down... Dork.

However, since my gym is technically a "fitness center", I'm afraid that it might head down the same route...

Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    don't just leave, get kicked out. That's much more interesting. Go in and scream through a set of heavy deads. then do cleans and drop the weight between reps. When someone comes over to yell at you, pick up one of the 80 lb dumbbells and put it through his head.

-->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50) -->aDAM*<-- will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Torch the place. Simple, yet effective.

JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JNo20 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Choktu
    don't just leave, get kicked out. That's much more interesting. Go in and scream through a set of heavy deads. then do cleans and drop the weight between reps. When someone comes over to yell at you, pick up one of the 80 lb dumbbells and put it through his head.
    Or, just shoulder press the ****ing 80's for 12 reps, throw the suckers down, and then yell really loudly "Well, time to take the training wheels off and go to a real gym. This place ain't nothin' but a warm-up."
    Meet PRs @220
    Squat: 675, (8-22-2008)
    Bench: 455, (8-22-2008)
    Deadlift: 611, (3-29-2008)
    Total: 1735, (8-22-2008)

Registered User LatissimusDorsi's Avatar
    LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    My gym is physically seperated into 3 different sections, cardio, machines, free weights. Each section has 3 totally different type of people. Gotta love it.

Btw, that Lunk Alarm has to be the most homosexual thing I have heard all day.

cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10) cssprophet is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Good god, I almost **** myself when I read this. You see, I also go to a Planet Fitness "gym" (and I use that term loosely, mind you). I used to go with my brother, but sadly that is no more, which I will explain soon. I broke my lifting virginity at that gym. Wasn't too bad. Nice atmosphere, adequate equipment, seemingly friendly staff.

However, after a while of going there, we walk in one day and are told by one of the staff members that all the preset barbells (straight and EZ-Curl) were removed. Why? Hell if he knows. That was midly annoying, but we managed to get around it. However, while discussing the stupidity of the whole thing during our workout, we run into this nice fellow who tells us how the same thing has been done at another PF near (45 minutes away maybe?) there. However, they went to extremes: they removed ALL the benches, incline benches, barbells, and dumbells up to 40lbs. The guy advised us that we might be next. The thought of that pissed us off.

But we kept up with our routine, going every other day, and things were fine. Until one day... we came in, I signed the guest book (I was going as my brother's guest), and one of the staff members (some annoying dude) came up and asked how old I was. I told him, and he said that after that day, I could no longer come to the gym. Why? Well, if you are under 18 you cannot go to the gym as someone's guest unless that person is your parent or legal guardian. Horse manure! Long story short, I ended up getting my own membership (surprise, surprise; they won't let you in if you're under 18 unless they're getting some money out of you).

Now to the juicy part. Couple days ago my brother and I went to the gym, and it was backday for him, so that means deadlifts. He was shooting for a PR of 315, and he was gonna get at least one rep if it killed him. So he was doing his **** and ended up with 315 on the floor. He was getting himself pysched up, grunted/yelled a bit, and hauled that bitch off the floor! He finished the rep, and the weight made some noise when it hit the ground. He was like, "Yeah!" and was pumped about deadlifting the weight. This is short-lived, however, as we see this bean-poll staff member walking up to him. I wasn't near, so I didn't hear it all, but as I recall the conversation went something like this...

Brother: Pick it up.
    Staff: I don't want to pick it up.
    Brother: Because you can't. If you can pick it up, I'll listen to you, otherwise, go away.

Some stuff was said here -- which included the staff member telling my brother, and I quote, "If you can't pick it up without making noise, don't pick it up." -- at which point the guy said, "Do you want me to cancel your membership?" Then he walked off and got someone higher up on the food chain. Some stuff was said that I didn't hear, and it ended with my brother saying to the guy, "You know what, you guys can just go **** yourselves." after being told to get his stuff and leave. Now the funniest part of all this, in my opinion, is they called the cops! THEY CALLED THE COPS TO ESCORT MY BROTHER FROM THE PREMESIS! However, it didn't end that way. The cops were just standing around, and my brother left.

Now let me say that although I don't really condone what he did, that place can just go **** itself. We've been pissed at that place for a while, and only still go because it's really the only viable option (we kinda live in the sticks).

I was just glad to see we weren't the only ones going to these alleged "gyms".

Edit: Oh, and I forgot to mention that some guy was thrown out of the "gym" when he came in carrying a gallon jug of water.

-GFH
    Last edited by cssprophet; 05-05-2006 at 10:20 PM.

Registered User LatissimusDorsi's Avatar
    LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LatissimusDorsi has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    It's exactly what they wanted u to do; leave and never come back. Lucky they got another 200 members to make up for a lost member. Every one of 'us' they kick out they are cleaning their image more.

Shittygeneticsomorph BBing_Addict's Avatar
    BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250) BBing_Addict has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    damn, and i thought i had it bad as the "fitness center" i go to refuses to get decline benches as it a medical contraindication for many people, mainly old and fat people who are hypertensive.

well i hope my "gym" never takes that road

Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Shangius is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    This is the most pathetic thing I've ever heard of. I mean I find grunting mildly annoying and absolutely hate people who drop dumbbells, but this? This is the pussiest **** I've seen thus far.
    Strive for
    The body of a God
    The mind of a Scholar
    The humility of a Monk
    And the heart of a Warrior

NoFap/Meditation/GreenTea/Yoga crew

Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100) Phrook is not very well liked. (-100)
    wow that blew my mind...
    gonna have to set me up a savings account for the day my gym does something stupid like throw out the benches, and power racks and makes a no dead lifting rule... thats seriously messed up...

Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50) Gibblets will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    While I do understand that there are idiots who take the whole grunting/flexing/posing/throwing weights around too far, to a point where it becomes distracting to other members, Planet Fitness takes pre-emptive measures to prevent these occurances too far as well.

Planet Fitness isn't encouraging fitness. It's brainwashing the majority of uneducated gym goers into thinking a good workout is 15 minutes of walking on the treadmill followed by 3 sets of the preacher curl machine! Banning certain exercises is just plain retarded. I mean, what other reason do they have than to kick out the "meatheads"?

I can understand how hardcore gyms are not profitable, but there should be a happy medium. I for one am planning on opening a gym in the future which will sell the bodybuilding lifestyle- a gym where members foster a community-like setting for all, almost like the gym commraderie Arnold and his friends developed training at Gold's. Well, I'll save my gym aspirations for another post so anyways...

Yeah, for all who have had to put up with Planet Fitness style gym management- quit. Don't pay $10/month and let someone control your workout.

Originally Posted by Choktu
    My last day of training at Planet Fitness is this coming Monday, and I intend on screaming while curling the 10's. Then, I plan on getting stuck under the 45-pound bar and screaming for help.