Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The World’s #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)

Bench Press-Only Workout

Let's say I'm on a split program where once a week, I focus on only the pecs and or/triceps. My main goal is to gain size.

The only equipment I have available is a flat bench (unadjustuble), olympic barbell and plates.

So, if I were to only do the Bench Press, how many sets/reps of this exercise should I do?

Today, I managed to superset 6 sets of bench press with chin-ups, but felt I could lift a few more sets of bench press, but was afraid of overtraining.

I know variety is important for progression, but I'm hoping that changing the rep range every month would handle it.

I've been increasing the weight by 5lbs every workout, but I don't know if I should be doing more pec exercises or not... you know, to exercise different parts of the pecs.

Is 6 sets of 6-8 reps enough? Again, I train the chest only once a week.

Whats your advice?

Thanks

Stats: 5'10", 224 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3128
    north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit north19701's BodySpace
    Search the forum for Rippetoe's Beginner 5X5 routine. If you're going for strength and size that's probably one of the best places to start. It's a full body routine and you'll see much better results.

kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank) kidkurious is the lowest scum of the boards. (Worst Rank)
    thanks, found it!

in the program, it has bench press, so I'm assuming it's flat bench press only?

And when doing 5 reps, does the 5th rep have to be to a 1 rep max? because I don't train with a spotter.

thanks again

Registered User Guns McPhearson's Avatar
    Guns McPhearson is not very helpful. (-500) Guns McPhearson is not very helpful. (-500)
    I never train to a one rep max - puts to much strain on my joints. Sometimes I will do sets of 3 though.

I have only been doing flat bench press for my chest, I wouldn't worry about it. My man-boobs have grown rather large.

Stats: 5'10", 224 lbs
    BodyPoints: 3128
    north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000) north19701 has reached the pinnacle! Best possible rank! (+1000000)
    Visit north19701's BodySpace
    Originally Posted by kidkurious
    thanks, found it!

in the program, it has bench press, so I'm assuming it's flat bench press only?

And when doing 5 reps, does the 5th rep have to be to a 1 rep max? because I don't train with a spotter.

thanks again
    It's flat bench press and you find your 5 RM. The beginner program is 3X5 so you would do 3 sets of 5 reps.

Does the 5th rep of every set have to be to failure? - because I don't train with a spotter.

Stats: 6'1", 180 lbs
    BodyPoints: 101
    humpty_dumpty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) humpty_dumpty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) humpty_dumpty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) humpty_dumpty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) humpty_dumpty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) humpty_dumpty is a jewel in the rough. (+500) humpty_dumpty is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Visit humpty_dumpty's BodySpace
    if you dont train with a spotter go one rep befor failure, you will still gain as much, if not more streangth and muscle.