Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500)

How many of you follow a consistent volume based program?

After a few months pissing about with 5x5 (which helped me to gain around 12lb - in fat ) and cutting it off which halted progress, then a bastardised DFHT program which worked alright, I've shifted back into a volume phase - and I've literally seen a big difference in both size and strength in the past four weeks.

I train back on Monday for 20 sets, delts and tris on Tuesday for 12 and 9 sets respectively, chest and traps on Thursday for 14 and 9 sets respectively and legs and biceps on Friday for 15 and 9 sets respectively. The majority of the workouts are based around compound movements with varied rep ranges and weights per set (i.e. not the same weight for the same reps, or a straight up or down pyramid, but **** all over the place). Each workout is completed within 90 minutes.

Is it a case, would you say, that this sort of volume training will simply be a shock to my system, thereby spurning on new growth (based on the fact that each bodypart never copped more than 10 sets previously) or do you find that, in a lot of cases, volume is simply more effective at helping to grow muscle (obviously with the correct rest and nutrition protocols in place)?

JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50) JCVP will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I think rest and diet is what are giving you your givens. Either that, or you are periodizing very well.

I found volume training to be enjoyable for myself, but I often misbalanced intensity and volume which resulted in overtraining.

Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by antseezee
    I think rest and diet is what are giving you your givens. Either that, or you are periodizing very well.

I found volume training to be enjoyable for myself, but I often misbalanced intensity and volume which resulted in overtraining.
    Fair enough. Periodising wasn't necessarily the goal; something I'm yet to fully utilise on purpose. But it seems interesting.

Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Uncle Junior
    After a few months pissing about with 5x5 (which helped me to gain around 12lb - in fat ) and cutting it off which halted progress, then a bastardised DFHT program which worked alright, I've shifted back into a volume phase - and I've literally seen a big difference in both size and strength in the past four weeks.

I train back on Monday for 20 sets, delts and tris on Tuesday for 12 and 9 sets respectively, chest and traps on Thursday for 14 and 9 sets respectively and legs and biceps on Friday for 15 and 9 sets respectively. The majority of the workouts are based around compound movements with varied rep ranges and weights per set (i.e. not the same weight for the same reps, or a straight up or down pyramid, but **** all over the place). Each workout is completed within 90 minutes.

Is it a case, would you say, that this sort of volume training will simply be a shock to my system, thereby spurning on new growth (based on the fact that each bodypart never copped more than 10 sets previously) or do you find that, in a lot of cases, volume is simply more effective at helping to grow muscle (obviously with the correct rest and nutrition protocols in place)?
    I find it hard to believe that you didn't gain anything off the 5x5. Did your strength levels go up? If you increased your strength in the lifts you should have gained at least some muscle in the process. If you didn't make any PRs and really gained nothing but fat then wtf happened? Were you doing the dual factor or the single factor program?

TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50) TheCore will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    5x5 is a strenght program, the mass you gain with it depends on your diet. Did you eat a lot and did you eat CLEAN?

I find it hard to believe you didn't gain any strenght...