Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Vermonster is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

how much cardio is too much?

I've been working out for 3-4 months with my fiance and have seen NO results... i've been gaining weight. I've tried to clean up my diet, though i don't really keep track of what i eat.

My fiance and I eat the same things which i think is pretty healthy without being overly restrictive, and do the same workout, except he looks great and i look like crap.

We workout 5-6 days a week, break it down by legs, then chest and triceps and calves, back and biceps, shoulders and calves.

i haven't lost a single inch and actually my clothes are fitting worse on me.

I think my problem is not doing enough cardio. I barely do it.

I went and did 30 minutes today. I'm thinking about doing 45 minutes every day... is this too much?

how much cardio is too much? what's the maximum i should do without it being too much?

buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50) buttandlegs will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    It's hard to give good advice. You have given information, but not dense enough to scrutinize your program. You say you eat clean, but don't keep track. That could be a problem. You weight train, but with how much effort? You're doing cardio, but how much is your heart rate going up/how much effort? All these things could make a huge difference. If you are getting up to your maximum heart rate for minutes at a time, then 30-45 minutes would be excellent. You may be gaining muscle underneath fat layers and that may be making you feel bigger. Give it some more time. I hope this was somewhat helpful.

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Vermonster
    I think my problem is not doing enough cardio. I barely do it. I went and did 30 minutes today. I'm thinking about doing 45 minutes every day... is this too much? how much cardio is too much? what's the maximum i should do without it being too much?
    if you barely do cardio add it gradually to your program. don't jump from next to nothing to 6 days a week. the body doesn't like surprises. start with 1 or 2 25-45 minutes ss cardio sessions, check if you can adjust the diet and see what happens. the diet is usually the major culprit.

i don't think there is something as 'too much cardio' btw.
    if you burn more through physical exercise, eat more. it's just most people see cardio as something to lose fat with, not an end in itself.
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    80-90% of the change is diet. And you are probably gaining muscle hence the weight gain. Cardio is an excellent compliment, however I believe you can do too much. Cardio, esp. long sessions (studies show 45+ minutes of intense cardio) break down your immune system. Then you get ill, then you are too ill to work out and may lose some of the benefits that you worked so hard for. Also, excessive cardio, or anything for that matter, can cause overuse injuries...even when cross training. Think about the cardio machines and classes...all use the legs to move - there's where you'll see overuse injuries (knee problems, foot problems, shin splints). Maybe you need to re-evaluate your diet a bit and increase your cardio sessions to no more than 3 a week at 45 minutes (take Vit C and Glutamine after...both help with immune function).

Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Rachel_n_SD is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by onebratt08
    80-90% of the change is diet. And you are probably gaining muscle hence the weight gain. Cardio is an excellent compliment, however I believe you can do too much. Cardio, esp. long sessions (studies show 45+ minutes of intense cardio) break down your immune system. Then you get ill, then you are too ill to work out and may lose some of the benefits that you worked so hard for. Also, excessive cardio, or anything for that matter, can cause overuse injuries...even when cross training. Think about the cardio machines and classes...all use the legs to move - there's where you'll see overuse injuries (knee problems, foot problems, shin splints). Maybe you need to re-evaluate your diet a bit and increase your cardio sessions to no more than 3 a week at 45 minutes (take Vit C and Glutamine after...both help with immune function).
    I agree 110% with everything said up here ^
    great advice!

arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50) arose70 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Vermonster
    i don't really keep track of what i eat.
    Here's your problem.

And I agree with onebratt.

Why don't you post up your typical cal intake and meals and we can help you?
    "Ain't no party like a Scranton party cause a Scranton party don't stop."

Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Miranda is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by onebratt08
    Cardio, esp. long sessions (studies show 45+ minutes of intense cardio) break down your immune system. Then you get ill, then you are too ill to work out and may lose some of the benefits that you worked so hard for.
    hey, that's interesting. do you have the studies somewhere?
    "The human race is still largely a group of monkeys with slightly better grooming habits. Give them a microscope and and they'll examine their own ****, give them a telescope and they'll go looking for tits."

onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) onebratt08 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Miranda
    hey, that's interesting. do you have the studies somewhere?
    I've seen the research cited in several areas, but read an interesting article once about the study. Can't recall where I saw it. I also read up recently on low white blood cell count, since I have a low WBC count, but seemingly don't have any illnesses or diseases causing the "problem". I also know that it has been higher in the past and declining slowly over the years. However, I teach fitness classes now and work out more intensely than ever, so doc and I think it's due to the hard core exercise. Someone in the forum gave me a link to some research that cited in general exercise improves WBC count, but intense exercise has the opposite effect. We all know a low WBC count leaves a person more prone to picking up illnesses like colds. The problem with me is that I only know 2 speeds...0 mph or 100 mph!

Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Humm... yes, doing a TON of cardiovascular activity all at once usually leads to a decreased immune system (temporarily of course!)... but it is WELL over 45 mins of activity...
    Right now it doesn't matter what the results will be.
    Whats more important is that you test the waters. You share the story.. you add a different aspect to your recovery..

Leap and the net will appear..

mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50) mommy*2*3 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The amount of cardio needed to maintain or lose weight is highly dependent upon the individual. Some people have a great metabolism and genetics and don't need any cardio at all. They are able to lose weight just with adjusting their diet.
    Diet, this is the primary area that you should focus on. As mentioned before, you don't keep track so you can't possibly expect results without knowing what you're putting in and how much. Also, you can't compare yourself to your fiance....he may be able to eat twice as much food as you.
    Next, cardio is very good for your heart even if you don't strive to lose weight I think 3 times a week of moderate cardio isn't going to hinder anyone's progress. Again, I think that diet is key here. For weightloss you are better off slowly increasing your cardio as Miranda stated and as far as what's too much?....I truly believe this is very dependent on the person. Some people burn cals and muscle very quickly and others like me need lots of cardio to keep their bf% under control. I would say as a general rule of thumb....intense cardio should be no longer than 20-30min and moderate cardio can be done up to 45-60min max. As long as you're eating the right foods in the right quantities you're not going to burn up muscle as fast as you think. Don't be afraid of cardio

edit: Just wanted to add that I tried the "no cardio" approach myself for a while thinking it's going to hinder my muscle gains. Well, I quikly started gaining fat although my diet was under check with occasional cheats. This was an indicator to me that I do need that cardio to stay slimmer. These days off season I do 3-4 days of 25-35 min of cardio. Occasionally I'll go for a 45-60 walk/run.
    Last edited by mommy*2*3; 05-06-2006 at 05:56 AM.

Originally Posted by mommy*2*3
    As long as you're eating the right foods in the right quantities you're not going to burn up muscle as fast as you think. Don't be afraid of cardio
    that's what i was thinking of . . .in fact i had professional sports athletes in my mind, the men and women who do 100-200-400 m sprints and stuff. they all look cut and buff. i don't think they shy away from training or do it on an empty stomach