r_trillanes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Question Polycystic Kidney Disorder, body building & supplement use

Greetings to all!

I've been diagnosed years ago as having Polycystic Kidney Disorder... This is a genetic disease and runs in our family... To this day, it has no known cure and will ultimately lead to renal failure.... (Not too soon in the future I hope)..

I'm also a gym enthusiast who got into working out again.... Im now about 160lbs and 25% body fat. My goal is to retain my weight, increase muscle mass/definition, and reduce my fat percentage to 10% or less...

Now, Id like to try out supplements like whey, creatine, etc to gain lean muscles and lose fat faster... However, it seems that all products they have out there cater to people without existing kidney problems. Many articles I read about the safety of supplements are contradictory and driving me confused ... With these in mind, what are my options as far as supplements are concerned? Should I skip using supplements and just work my butt off in the gym?

Is there anyone out here who has the same condition that I have? Your advice will truly be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

r_trillanes

saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) saaltydog has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by r_trillanes
    Greetings to all!

I've been diagnosed years ago as having Polycystic Kidney Disorder... This is a genetic disease and runs in our family... To this day, it has no known cure and will ultimately lead to renal failure.... (Not too soon in the future I hope)..

I'm also a gym enthusiast who got into working out again.... Im now about 160lbs and 25% body fat. My goal is to retain my weight, increase muscle mass/definition, and reduce my fat percentage to 10% or less...

Now, Id like to try out supplements like whey, creatine, etc to gain lean muscles and lose fat faster... However, it seems that all products they have out there cater to people without existing kidney problems. Many articles I read about the safety of supplements are contradictory and driving me confused ... With these in mind, what are my options as far as supplements are concerned? Should I skip using supplements and just work my butt off in the gym?

Is there anyone out here who has the same condition that I have? Your advice will truly be appreciated!

Thanks in advance!

r_trillanes

I would be careful with what you take. I know to much protein can effect a weak kidney. I wouldn't be here looking for information. If I were you I would talk to the doctor that is treating you. I am sure he will tell you to not take a **** load of protein everyday. Also drink alot of water to help flush your kidneys. Talk to your doctor though and good luck.

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by r_trillanes
    Greetings to all!

I've been diagnosed years ago as having Polycystic Kidney Disorder... This is a genetic disease and runs in our family... To this day, it has no known cure and will ultimately lead to renal failure
    Talk to your doctor. Will a transplant work?

r_trillanes has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by johnnyironboard
    Talk to your doctor. Will a transplant work?
    At this stage, I feel fine so a kidney transplant is not probably not for me-- Im am hoping that I wont ever get to that stage... All my bodily function are great, except the fact that indeed I already have the "early stages of polyscystic kidney disease" as seen on my last ultrasound... Im healthy for a 28 year old guy and been doing a lot of lifting/cardio lately...

Id like to get in touch with other body builders with the same condition as I have, yet is still able to get around body building and acheiving their goals...

Thanks again!

R_t