Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Surf Life Saving/Triathlons

Hey all... So summer is coming up and decided to join the surf life saving club. Always grown up close to the beach and love it etc etc. Recently gone fat to near fit (~27% to ~14% BF). Anyway was just wondering what a good gym routine and or exercises would be good to compliment my training. Will be doing alot of swimming, cycling, running and rowing.. Thinking just a heavy core session once or twice a week will be fine ontop of all this cardio?? Thoughts?
    12/4/2009 - 205lbs (~27% BF)
    12/8/2011 - 174lbs (~15% BF)
    Goal 15/11/2011 - 165lbs (~12% BF) - Reached
    Until 1/10/2012 - Play AFL @ 172lbs (~13% bf)
    1/10/2012 Onwards - Reach 200lbs, and 1000 club.

gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I used to do triathlons pretty seriously and now bike race, and the rule for all endurance sports is the same... become anorexic, or at least don't put on a bunch of weight. Past short durations (ie 60s) a lot of muscle holds you back.

The rowing and swimming should give you plenty of upper body strength as it is, same with the biking. There's going to be an upper limit.

If I were you I'd focus on lifting to prevent injury- band stuff, lots of single leg stuff for running, maybe band stuff for your shoulders.

Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mattyd92 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by gatovolador View Post
    I used to do triathlons pretty seriously and now bike race, and the rule for all endurance sports is the same... become anorexic, or at least don't put on a bunch of weight. Past short durations (ie 60s) a lot of muscle holds you back.

The rowing and swimming should give you plenty of upper body strength as it is, same with the biking. There's going to be an upper limit.

If I were you I'd focus on lifting to prevent injury- band stuff, lots of single leg stuff for running, maybe band stuff for your shoulders.
    Cheers mate , and props for racing in triathlons, such a mental battle!! Thinking ill be doing more water stuff though, but still doing cycling and running simply for cardio . Most races will have a Swim/Board/Ski format to it. Also 40m sprints as a seperate event :/. So i guess the new question is: Since running will most likely only be short, will weights be ok?? (mainly focusing on core). At the moment im sitting on 77kg (low teen BF) and i dont think i could cut below 70kg, would just look unhealthy for my frame lol. Also, thoughts on water polo??
    12/4/2009 - 205lbs (~27% BF)
    12/8/2011 - 174lbs (~15% BF)
    Goal 15/11/2011 - 165lbs (~12% BF) - Reached
    Until 1/10/2012 - Play AFL @ 172lbs (~13% bf)
    1/10/2012 Onwards - Reach 200lbs, and 1000 club.

gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) gatovolador is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Weights are fine as long as you don't get too heavy, but really lifting won't help you much swimming compared to improving your technique for the most part. From my perspective it's basically managing your time to be most effective training, but if you want some sexy time muscle and aren't competing ultra serious, no worries.

Water polo? Awesome, really fun sport, go for it.

rawlife has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    become a beach sprinter

ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50) ThaRooster will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    phuck my summer is almost over, i need to move to australia during my winter months
    r.i.p. zyzz

*Portuguese Crew*

*bjj crew*

Musgoso has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by gatovolador View Post

i wouldn't call surf life saving an endurance sport, longest even't is about 20 min wich is the surf ironman, and shorter is 11sec wich will be beach sprint, it depends on your main even't, but usualy surf life saving athlets tend to be pretty muscular

DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DCSpartan has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by Musgoso View Post
    i wouldn't call surf life saving an endurance sport, longest even't is about 20 min wich is the surf ironman, and shorter is 11sec wich will be beach sprint, it depends on your main even't, but usualy surf life saving athlets tend to be pretty muscular
    2 year old thread.