Thread: using momentum

b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000)

using momentum

I notice when I use momentum on my lifts I can do many more reps or more weight. On dips today when i went all the way down and Just 'bounced' right out i could easily do 15-20 reps @195 bodyweight. But when I went to the bottom and paused it was way harder! which way is better for building strength and size??? I see this jacked monster in the gym doing upright rows with 205, just bouncing it around, but he smells really bad....

moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) moochems has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    For stength/size not using that momentum is best. Especially for size. Usually, the momentum is used at the weakest part of the lift, sharpening your strong points, and dulling your weak points. Unless you just want to be badass* and lift alot of weight* you should jsut avoid the momentum.

*- In my highschool weight training class, one of the football players show's me how he does deadlifts: Picking it up slighty, allowing it to bounce off the ground then finishing the lift on the concentric of the bounce. He deadlifts more than me (trap bar... I don't really fit in a trap bar) but if it came down to competition style rules I'd definetly pull more off the floor.

Also I'm prettier than he is, so there's some first hand expierence about why momentum=not good for pretty.
    What do you want, and How do you get it?

The two hardest questions to answer.

It's not that I love to win, it's that I hate to lose.

b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000) b0ngman is a name known to all. (+5000)
    you're prettier than he is? what are you a ****ing girl?

nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by b0ngman
    you're prettier than he is? what are you a ****ing girl?
    i think it was a joke mr. bongman
    Old Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=687501
    New Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=735012

nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz nics1246 has the mod powerz
    IMO using momentum to your advantage=cheating
    strict form= better results

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    bouncing is never good. momentum is unavoidable, but doing **** like bouncing the bar off you or bouncing off of dips WILL lead to injuries
    <->

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by b0ngman
    I notice when I use momentum on my lifts I can do many more reps or more weight. On dips today when i went all the way down and Just 'bounced' right out i could easily do 15-20 reps @195 bodyweight. But when I went to the bottom and paused it was way harder! which way is better for building strength and size??? I see this jacked monster in the gym doing upright rows with 205, just bouncing it around, but he smells really bad....
    Until you're at an advanced level where so-called "controlled" cheating and partials might be worth considering (like the pros do), I'd just stick with strict form.

The problem with using momentum at the bottom is you're cheating your muscles out of working hard right off the bat and giving them a free ride until later in the movement. This can be one way of targeting a sticking point, but pausing at the bottom of each rep and taking momentum out of it will force your muscles to overcome maximum resistance from a stretched position on each and every rep. I believe you're see superior results this way and get a lot stronger (by improving explosive strength).

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs up

As an athlete i train my basic exercises with as much explosiveness as possible ,as you lower the bar quickly the muscles and tendons react like a rubber ball , storing energy , but your muscle still have to perform the task , momentum is my friend .....especially on benches , clean and pressses ,PLYO chins and even pressdowns but i dont see the problem with it as long as you are experienced and know how to use it to your advantage by putting more pounds on the freaking bar and overloading your muscles even further !
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

Dip Fanatic WillDeadliftForFood's Avatar
    WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000) WillDeadliftForFood is just really nice. (+1000)
    I used to bounce a little on the bottom of dips, and I was able to crank out 185 bodyweight + 75. Now I use strict form, I hold a pause at the bottom. I'm only dipping 200 body + 35, but my arms are much, much bigger.

My experience (albeit short) in lifting, the pause really helped mass gains on every exercise I've used it on. The "bounce" may have its place, but I'd be worried about doing it with heavy weights.

But that's just me and all IMO.
    Everything I say or post is all In My Own Opinion. I am a self-educated layman, with no formal degrees or certifications to back my statements, only personal experience and the studies I've read by others. What I say is not intended to diagnose, treat, or cure any disease or disorder. Do not change your diet or exercise routines or try new treatment methods without first consulting a doctor.

"And I feel that time's a wasted go..." - STP