Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Triceps long head

This may be a no-brainer, but for anyone, like me who didn't realize it, all three heads of the triceps, specifically the long head, do not get worked in all triceps exercises.

For example, I like pushdowns. Either with a rope, V handle, straight bar. Even one-handed pushdowns. I like dips. And we know that the triceps get worked in push movements like benching and overhead pressing. So I rarely bothered with things like skullcrushers or overhead extensions, thinking my triceps were getting a full workout.

El wrongo! Big mistake. Those overhead extension movements are the ones that specifically work the long head of the triceps. The long head is the muscle you feel at the upper back of the arm, near the arm pit. Pushdowns and other pushing movements work the long head only minimally.

So if you want to fully work the triceps, all 3 heads, do a combination of pushing AND overhead extensions.
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    good advice err wat am i doing in the over 35 forum with all these old geezers...

Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Minotaur has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Originally Posted by WillB485
    good advice err wat am i doing in the over 35 forum with all these old geezers...
    Hopefully learning not to make the same mistakes we did!
    "Go home, have a beer and smash something. That's what I would do" - Unknown (but probably Thor).

WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Minotaur
    Hopefully learning not to make the same mistakes we did!
    I gotta admit, I love the over 35 forum. I usually don't post, but I enjoy checking out the journals and the topics discussed. They are usually serious and thoughtful, unlike most of the other forums.

MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) MrBRoc has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

good post Minotaur.. ive noticed also after a while even tho triceps are my strong point i was still lacking that certain area i started doing overhead db extensions a few weeks ago and im starting to see a difference
    No Pain..No Gain.. Remain The Same...

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)

OK Minotaur...

I, being the rookie I am, am still not sure what exercises work the long head best, and I am wanting to understand it better. When you say overhead extension, you mean like standing (or sitting) and holding arms up above your head and then swinging the forearms down behind your head? Kind of the same as skull crushers right, only with the body up instead of laying down?

I have been doing those for a while, but with minimal weight (using a single dumbell with two hands), because I haven't had the right barbell available in my basement, but just recently bought another barbell bar, so I am thinking I would bump up to a heavier weight.

I have seen this blonde gal bodybuilder on the web with these huge triceps (makes me jealous) doing dumbell kickback tricep extensions... down on all fours, swinging/lifting the arm behind to horizontal. Seems like that exercise works the long head too??

Dan
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV

Originally Posted by Hey-Iwas51
    I, being the rookie I am, am still not sure what exercises work the long head best, and I am wanting to understand it better. When you say overhead extension, you mean like standing (or sitting) and holding arms up above your head and then swinging the forearms down behind your head? Kind of the same as skull crushers right, only with the body up instead of laying down?
    Yep.
    I have been doing those for a while, but with minimal weight (using a single dumbell with two hands), because I haven't had the right barbell available in my basement, but just recently bought another barbell bar, so I am thinking I would bump up to a heavier weight.

I have seen this blonde gal bodybuilder on the web with these huge triceps (makes me jealous) doing dumbell kickback tricep extensions... down on all fours, swinging/lifting the arm behind to horizontal. Seems like that exercise works the long head too??

Dan
    Tricep kickbacks are an isolation exercise and unless you are very experienced with lifting, probably won't yield as much of a result as doing exercises like dips or overhead tricep extensions for the long head, or any head of the triceps for that matter.

Originally Posted by Hey-Iwas51
    When you say overhead extension, you mean like standing (or sitting) and holding arms up above your head and then swinging the forearms down behind your head? Kind of the same as skull crushers right, only with the body up instead of laying down?
    Yep, dat's it!

I don't know about kickbacks. From what I've read, your elbows have to be above your head (standing or lying down) to work the long head.

Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000) Hey-Iwas51 is just really nice. (+1000)
    Tricep kickbacks are an isolation exercise and unless you are very experienced with lifting, probably won't yield as much of a result as doing exercises like dips or overhead tricep extensions for the long head, or any head of the triceps for that matter.
    The question is obviously then, why not?

Although... I do notice that if I do these early in the workout, I can actually feel (pretty sure anyway) the long head being worked, and can concentrate on it enough to tighten it up... but when I am tired, from having worked the triceps earlier in the workout, I can not concentrate on that triceps head, maybe just for a couple reps, and then it goes away, and then I just force the weight up using whatever muscles are available (if that make sense).

Dan
    I am amazed how my body has been able to change... It's design truly is a wonder. King David realized that some three thousand years ago...
    "I praise you because I am fearfully and wonderfully made; your works are wonderful, I know that full well." Psalm 139:14 NIV

Interesting...

Originally Posted by Minotaur
    Yep, dat's it!

I don't know about kickbacks. From what I've read, your elbows have to be above your head (standing or lying down) to work the long head.
    Cool... I will give those a chance to work. Thanks!

Dan

Enormous Green Rage Mnstr GSCampbell's Avatar
    GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000) GSCampbell is just really nice. (+1000)
    They are usually serious and thoughtful, unlike most of the other forums.
    This does not apply to me.
    There is a time in every man's education when he arrives at the conviction that envy is ignorance; that imitation is suicide; that he must take himself for better, for worse, as his portion; that though the wide universe is full of good, no kernel of nourishing corn can come to him but through his toil bestowed on that plot of ground which is given to him to till.