Bodybuilding.com Information Motivation Supplementation
in:

The Worldís #1 Bodybuilding And Fitness Forum - Save Up To 50% Off Retail Prices In Our Bodybuilding.com Store!

Stats: 5'5", 125 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1976
    DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit DUMB BELLE's BodySpace

Red vs White Muscle Fibre Workout: Question

Iíve been doing the same training routine for approx 2-3 months and feel itís time for a change.

I was doing the following:
    Day 1 - lower body (generally compound exercises such as lunges, squats, leg-presses etc.)
    Day 2 - upper body (1 exercise of 3 sets per upper body part such as: dumb-bell rows, incline press, bicep curls etc. My reps for each exercise varied between 8-12).
    Day 3 - abs + calves + HIIT
    Day 4 - repeat of day 1
    Day 5 - repeat of day 2
    Day 6 - repeat of day 3
    Day 7 - rest
    My weight sessions were fairly heavy with just enough rest in between sets to regroup for the next one.

Iíve now decided to change my workouts to a push/pull - type split by super-setting opposing body parts with MINIMAL rest and higher reps (approx 15) for increased heart rate. I do 3 sets of each. Initially I predict that I might have to decrease my weight slightly.

Hereís a sample of what my workout will look like in a week:

DAY 1 (LEGS)
    Leg Extension + Stiff Legged Deadlifts (Super-set)
    Leg Presses + Sissy Squats + Ab Crunches (Giant set)
    Walking Lunges (till my legs just wonít carry me)
    Leg Curls (I have a knee injury and have only recently been able to do these again as hamstring isolation exercises have been a problem, so I do them at the end of my workout with light weight and adequate rest between sets.)

DAY 2 (CHEST + BICEPS)
    Incline DB Press + EZ Bar Curls (Super set)
    Flat Bench Machine Press + Preacher Curls (Super set)
    Cable Cross Overs + Rope Curls (Super set)

DAY 3
    Abs (crunches, leg raises, ďbroomstickĒ obliques etc.) + calves (seated, standing) + 10min HIIT

DAY 4 (BACK + TRICEPS)
    Front Pull Downs + Bench Dips (Super set)
    Seated Rows + Press Downs (Super set)
    Bent Over Rows + Overhead Tricep Extentions (Super set)

DAY 5 (SHOULDERS + CALVES)
    Seated DB Press + Standing calve raises (Super set)
    Side Lateral Raises + Seated calve raises (Super set)
    Bent Over Lateral raises + Toe Presses (on the seated press machine)

DAY 6
    Repeat day 3

DAY 7
    Rest!!!!!

Iíve only been doing this split for a week and been getting an awesome pump during and immediately after my workout but havenít really been excruciatingly stiff the following day. Could this be due to the slight drop in weight? I know that DOMS is not necessarily a result of a good/bad session but I do miss the OUCH factor that really says ďNow youíve WORKEDĒ the next day.

From what I understand Higher Reps, Lower weight, minimal rest workouts stimulate white muscle fibre more and therefore more definition as opposed to Lower Reps, Heigher weight and rest which stimulate red muscle fibre and thus size and growth. Is this accurate?

PLEASE critique my new workout! Iím totally open to any suggestions as to how it might be improved. Also, how long should I stick to this routine or should I just continue as long as I see results (Iím big on the idea of cycling my workouts even if it is purely to prevent mental boredom/routine)?

My goal is to decrease body fat and increase muscle mass with awesome definition. I will post pics shortly which should help you give more accurate advice. Realistically, I donít think Iím in TOO bad shape but do tend to be hyper-critical (donít we all) so as soon as I have the guts, will post these.

Thanks in advance!

northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) northernbelle is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Cool

I think you are talking about slow twitch and fast twitch muscle fibers-

white = slow twitch = endurance type = high reps, lower weights
    red = fast twitch = mass + strength type = low reps, high weights

Basically, lower weights recruit slow twitch fibers; as you increase the weight, the recruitment gradually changes from slow twitch to fast twitch; when you reach 90%+ of your 1 rep max, all or most of the fast twitch fibers are recruited.

Each type of exercise has its benefits and should be part of any fitness program. I prefer to think of it as the following:
    for strength gains: 1-6 reps at 85-100% of your 1 rep max
    for strength and mass gains: 5-8 reps at 75-85%
    for mass gains: 8-12 reps at 70-75%
    for endurance gains: 13-20 reps at 60-70%

Personally, I plan my workouts to hit all of the above at some point. I will use the same exercises for a month, then switch to alternative exercises that work the same muscles, as the body adapts to the same routine when it's done over and over. I also like playing around with variations on sets and types of exercises to see how they work.

How often you should change your workouts is a personal choice. I have read anywhere from 4-12 weeks.

Your new workout looks ambitious. Try it for a while and see how it works. You won't feel an ouch factor, because you are using lighter weights and higher reps. I wouldn't attempt any weight over 75% of your 1 rep max with this plan. To lose body fat, you may want to add moderate cardio later on in the day, or replace a lifting session with HIIT cardio.

Also watch the time. If your workouts go longer than 60-75 minutes, they become counter-productive.

Hope this helps...
    I will succeed because I persevere, not because I am perfect.

Stats: 5'5", 125 lbs
    BodyPoints: 1976
    DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) DUMB BELLE has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Visit DUMB BELLE's BodySpace
    Thanks Northernbelle!

Makes sense.

Since I've been doing this new programme my workouts have never gone over 40 minutes since I'm doing supersets with absolutely minimal rest. Also, since I'm doing opposing muscle groups, the muscles I've just worked in a set (eg:Back) get to rest a bit while I do the other set (eg: Triceps) but my heart rate stays up. (I'm hoping that my logic here will be practical).

Thanks for making the "fast/slow twitch muscle" issue clear!

Will let you know how it goes.