Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000)

Westside Theory Question

Hey guys just got a question or two about westside (http://www.elitefts.com/documents/training-methods.htm article by Louie Simmons).

Firstly - Where hes talking about reversal strength with stretch reflexes (2-4 second reflex) he mentions how you should relax the muscles for eg when sitting on a box during a box squat. I understand the ideas of a stretch reflex but i always was under the impression that the muscle had to still have isometric tension in it while its at that end of the eccentric phase position (eg sitting on the box) however he mentions you should relax whilst on the box? Can muscles retain the stretch reflex for 2-4 seconds after the eccentric portion even if they are relaxed at the end of the eccentric?

Secondly - He gives a few examples of movements to relax at the end of the eccentric with, the box squat and the board press are two of them. Is it actually possible to fully relax your squatting muscles when you sit on a box? I know its possible to relax your muscles while the weight sits on the boards in a board press however from personal experience i find it near impossible to relax when on a box, i would imagine my form going to ****.

Ive been box squatting for a while however ive always kept myself tight round the core and glutes whilst on the box before exploding off (guess its lucky i reread some articles for when is start training again!).

Anyway, any opinions on these questions are greatly appriciated.
    Thanks guys
    "In the shade now tall forms are advancing,
    And their wan hands like snowflakes in the moonlight are gleaming;
    They beckon, they whisper, 'Oh! strong armed in valor,
    The pale guests await thee - mead foams in Valhalla.'"

Fryed Chykenz for lyfe: mcxk

Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10) Mateo_66 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    What he means is that you fully sit on the box and relax your hips. Your quads, hamstrings back abs etc should still be tight. Think about sitting back onto the box then you relax onto it rock back then forward and get back up. Correct me anyone if I am wrong here. There are others who just sit onto the box without the rock then get back up. Whatever feels more comfortable to you but make sure you are fully sitting onto the box.
    "Powerlifters put it deeper in the hole."
    "Screw genetics, I'll decide my own potential!"
    Kansas Powerlifters keep in touch here! "http://www.kspowerlifting.proboards104.com/"

Where do I go from here? BigDerek's Avatar
    BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50) BigDerek will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Thumbs up

Originally Posted by Mateo_66
    What he means is that you fully sit on the box and relax your hips. Your quads, hamstrings back abs etc should still be tight. Think about sitting back onto the box then you relax onto it rock back then forward and get back up. Correct me anyone if I am wrong here. There are others who just sit onto the box without the rock then get back up. Whatever feels more comfortable to you but make sure you are fully sitting onto the box.
    Never rock forward to get up. You push back with the head and back to start the movement. Your ass then follows. Good assesment though.

Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000) Berserker-Power is just really nice. (+1000)
    bump

ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000) ArchDukeOfTops is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by Mateo_66
    Good post. When box squats first became poplar it was normal to rock a little. Everything I've read that was written recently says not to rock forward but do relax your hips while the rest of you stays tight.
    Training Journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=142931161

Thanks for the replies but can anyone help me out with my questions, thanks.

KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) KLoWnPR109 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    You are thinking too much

Possibly... but nothing wrong with understanding what you are doing and preaching :P

bump. Someone has to know.

*gives thread CPR*

chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) chuckt has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Can you maintain a stretch reflex in a relaxed muscle, no. can you even have a stretch reflex in a relaxed muscle, no. Are you mis-interpreting the quote, yes. The stretch reflex is about storing and releasing elastic potential energy in your muscles, obviously this cant happen when a muscle is relaxed. (*Mini Rant*This(this being the theory crap) truly has no practical application to your lifting. If you want to spend a lot of time thinking about what will make you stronger, constantly evaluating your form and your strengths and weakness is what will help, not pondering questions of exercise physiology.)

When he says to relax on the box he means dont just lightly touch the box with your glutes and stand up. You sit to the box, pause on the box for a moment while maintaining tightness in your torso, glutes, hamstrings, feet, etc. and then explode off the box while still maintaining that tightness in your body.
    Charlie Telesco
    220lb Junior Powerlifter
    1757 total
    661 sq
    518 b
    578 dl

University of California at Santa Cruz

dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500) dbcb314 is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Yes, you have to have isometric contraction to use the stretch reflex.

the whole point of relaxing on a box is to remove the stretch reflex i believe. Therefore this builds power out of the hole and when you do squat without the box, you will have a stretch reflix PLUS the power out of the hole which gives you the ability to lift much more weight

at least i think