Dr. Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Me and PSMF vs BFL

Situation: 36yr old male, 6'2. Apprx 245lbs, 18-20%bfat.
    Current diet: Clean mon-thur. 3 very small high protein meals during day. 1 large high protein/low carb dinner. Apprx. 2000cal/day.
    Weekend: Apprx 30 light beers (10 per night fri/sat/sun) minimal daily food intake, bad dinners (pizza..etc).
    Water intake overall NOT enough.
    Workout: 30 min. med intensity cardio x 4 days. Upper/lower weight split x 3 days.

I am quite sick of being this way,...and had gotten on a real good track 6 months ago getting down to 230lbs and a lower bfat%. Moved, no gym nearby. Just recently put in a home gym. Good stuff,..everything I need.

I have an event coming up in 2 months. I would like to be as lean as possible at that time.
    I have read as much as I could find on PSMF (without buying book) and I have the Body for Life book. (I am acutely aware they are entirely different concepts and programs with different goals as well)

I am considering doing PSMF (strictly) for the suggested duration in an effort to drop as much fat/water as possible in the shortest time possible while maintaining as much LBM as possible,....THEN starting BFL.

In the 'opinions' of those here, with experience, what flaws do you find in my logic considering getting lean (not big) is my #1 immediate goal.

Fire away!

skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) skelooth is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    huge fat rebound when coming off PSMF, and a general feeling of poor health and misery while on it. Please don't do it bro
    I've gained and lost over 100lbs more times than any man alive should. Do as I say and not as I do.

htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    PSMF is crap. most of the people here who talk about it are fat themselves. i have rarely seen any progress pics of someone doing PSMF and have their progress look better then the traditional way.

come to think of it, i never have seen any pics. i've seen tons of people argue and try to make PSMF sound good, but thats it. and guess what, most of the time, they're fat.

dont worry about getting ready in 2 months, because chances are, after 2 months, you'll probably stop and rebound.
    post about your transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=769907

nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500) nithos is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by htxRed
    PSMF is crap. most of the people here who talk about it are fat themselves. i have rarely seen any progress pics of someone doing PSMF and have their progress look better then the traditional way.
    There have been some guys who have done some solid logs on PSMF with some success. However, they usually admit that it is hell and they never want to do it again. That is probably why most fail to last more than 2 weeks.

htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10) htxRed is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Originally Posted by nithos
    There have been some guys who have done some solid logs on PSMF with some success. However, they usually admit that it is hell and they never want to do it again. That is probably why most fail to last more than 2 weeks.
    oh well my mistake, i've never come across them. but my general statement still stands.

i dont believe fat loss should be hard, since it wasnt hard for you to gain it. i do however believe that it takes time, since you didnt get fat over night.
    post about your transformation:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=769907

Prove you're worth a damn DJohnson's Avatar
    DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000) DJohnson is just really nice. (+1000)
    The people who succeed with PSMF are probably expert dieters who are usually lean most of the year. I wouldn't tell anyone who hasn't hit single digits lately to try a PSMF.

Anyways, if you just stuck with your current diet, removed the pizza and THIRTY beer, you'd probably be losing fat at a good rate. Let's try that first, hey? It's tough, but it's good to learn how to party without being under the influence.
    History: Mar, 2001: 135lbs @ ~14% | Nov, 2004: 245lbs @ ~40% | Dec, 2006: 168lbs @ 5.5%ish | Nov, 2008: 177lbs @ 5.5%ish | Dec, 2016: 179lbs

ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ronz0r has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    IF you have the motivation and desire to do it. PSMF is a really good tool to drop fat quickly. You just have to integrate carbs back into your diet slowly to prevent the fat regain.

However in your case I suggest just cutting out the beer and pizza. No such thing as a workweek diet bro. I'm sure it can get you to a point, but there comes a time where you have to weigh your goals. Which is more important? The pizza and beer, or getting that body you've always wanted. If its option 2 then you gotta eat clean 7 days a week.
    Obtaining knowledge is half the battle, knowing how to apply said knowledge is the other half. Executing is the simplest part of success when you have a plan based on sensible well informed choices.

Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000) Rune is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by nithos
    Exactly.. it's pretty much as ****ty as life gets, makes you very grumpy, stange mood swings, etc etc. Does it make you loose fat, yes. Is it worth it? IMO hell NO!

Just stick to a normal diet + exercise and you'll get results.
    Don't get set into one form, adapt it and build your own, and let it grow, be like water. Empty your mind, be formless, shapeless, like water. Now you put water in a cup, it becomes the cup; You put water into a bottle, it becomes the bottle; You put it in a teapot, it becomes the teapot. Water can flow or it can crash. Be water, my friend. - Bruce Lee

Dr. Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Dr. Jim has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

thx...

Well,....interesting advice. The fat regain concept at the end of PSMF does concern me.......as well as being in such a crappy state for the duration.

BFL seems like a much better way to go, although it will take longer than the 2 months I was hoping for. I suppose there would be some decent progress at the 2 month mark? Just moreso at the end of the 3 month cycle.

I wonder if a 20lb loss over an 8 week period, doing BFL strictly,...coming from my current diet/shape would be possible?

Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Fat regain is because people who come off a PSMF usually haul right back into their fatass eating habits that got them obese in the first place. Plus RMR has slown down a bit after 2 weeks, which makes the effects of binging even worse. The standard recommendation for PSMF is to last no longer than 2 weeks and slowly transition back into maintenance eating habits.

BTW, I just found this girl's PSMF log on bodyrecomposition.com (she's a model). Hawt!

And oh yeah, I don't recommend PSMF unless you have bought the book. Even if you have read and re-read it, I still don't recommend it ;p.
    Attached Images

WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WallyWhitecross has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Dr. Jim
    I wonder if a 20lb loss over an 8 week period, doing BFL strictly,...coming from my current diet/shape would be possible?
    If you don't skip workouts and eat exactly as you are suppossed to, I don't see 20lbs. in 8 weeks being out of the question. I'm down 10lbs overall after 5 weeks on BFL and I know I have built some lean mass along with the fat loss.

I started out at 210 at 20+% bf