Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Oz Enhanced is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)

Post Workout Shake = BAD!?? what the??

Someone quoted this in the exercise forum and in a reply but no one seemed to comment on it. I couldnt find a post already about it but what is this ****?

Quote:
    Myth: Consuming the drink immediately following the workout will elicit the greatest protein synthesis.

It’s amazing to see how more advanced, and often experienced, people behave in the gym when it comes to getting their post workout meal. Some guys even sit there, right after their last set, and slug back a drink! In fact I’ve even heard "as soon as the weight hits the floor" touted as the war cry for the hardcore. While this is actually a sub-optimal practice for muscle growth and recovery, not to mention borderline obsessive compulsive, it’s good to see their heart is the right place.

Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves. Not a big deal, that’s why we read T-Nation. Let’s just learn, adapt, and move on.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=05-096-diet

Any comments? I usually have my shake within 5 minutes of finished the weights and then a big meal 1 hour later.

Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by (Oz)
    Someone quoted this in the exercise forum and in a reply but no one seemed to comment on it. I couldnt find a post already about it but what is this ****?

Quote:
    Myth: Consuming the drink immediately following the workout will elicit the greatest protein synthesis.

It’s amazing to see how more advanced, and often experienced, people behave in the gym when it comes to getting their post workout meal. Some guys even sit there, right after their last set, and slug back a drink! In fact I’ve even heard "as soon as the weight hits the floor" touted as the war cry for the hardcore. While this is actually a sub-optimal practice for muscle growth and recovery, not to mention borderline obsessive compulsive, it’s good to see their heart is the right place.

Comparing research that used drinks consumed immediately after a workout (Tipton et al., 2001) versus those ingested an hour after training (Rasmussen et al., 2000), the results are surprising: it seems that post workout meal ingestion actually results in 30% lower protein synthesis rates than when we wait! So every time we thought that we were badass for drinking "as soon as the weight hit the floor, we were actually short changing ourselves. Not a big deal, that’s why we read T-Nation. Let’s just learn, adapt, and move on.

http://www.t-nation.com/findArticle....le=05-096-diet

Any comments? I usually have my shake within 5 minutes of finished the weights and then a big meal 1 hour later.
    Someone always has an "alternative" view on just about everything. MOST people are going to agree that PWO Shake ASAP is a very good idea.

lol @ thats why we read T-nation ...

Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Oak the Toke has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    yeah, i completely lost focus once I saw that smokin blonde doing that one-armed dumbbell row. she needs a thorough spankin by yours truley.

now what was this about again?
    My E-Crew or List of Cool People
    ---who gives a ****, it's the internet

"been dreamin about those Johnny Cakes"

Experientia docet stultos

newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000) newequation is just really nice. (+1000)
    T-nation is garbage.

Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Jim K is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by Oak the Toke
    yeah, i completely lost focus once I saw that smokin blonde doing that one-armed dumbbell row. she needs a thorough spankin by yours truley.
    ohhhh yeahhh!!!

Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Bammy has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Quote:

It’s amazing to see...
    ...BULL ****
    ISSA Certified Fitness Trainer... and now college grad!

The iron bug didn't bite me, it crawled inside my head and layed eggs.

Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Anssi Manninen is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    While more research is needed, it is probably a good idea to consume fast-acting protein-carb drink both before AND after exercise.
    Manninen Nutraceuticals, Inc.

rkh_nz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rkh_nz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rkh_nz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rkh_nz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) rkh_nz has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking my 2cents

I usually jack up insulin levels with a bit of glucose mixed with creatine and taurine 1st thing after workouts..and maybe something sugary to eat aswel.
    Then a light meal with a shake when im ready.. seems to work better than just a shake.
    "Get busy living or get busy dying"

Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50) Quintis Vindex will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if you are growing+making progress then I wouldnt worry.

<not going to stop drinking a protein shake in the car myself cause of an aritcle)

bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10) bodybuilder420 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Simply put, there is more evidence out there to suggest otherwise. The rate of protein synthesis also relies heavily on not only the type of workout, but also the type of protein/CHO consumed after the workout (be it immediately or an hour after). So I would wonder if he's citing his references properly - so many people don't know how to read a pee-reviewed study it's scary. :-/
    Admin at True Sport Supplements Inc.

B.S. Nutrition and Performance
    M.S. Exercise Physiology

Exercise Physiologist, Certified Personal Trainer
    Supplement Distributor and Athlete Promoter

Strength/Condition Coach jdiritto's Avatar
    jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50) jdiritto will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Oak the Toke

what kind of woman worksout in apparel like that?!?!

the kind I will marry <3<3<3

Brandon23 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's important to consume a post workout shake because they're rich in the ammino's your body needs to repair. Also a good idea to raise your blood sugar levels and replace electrolites after 1 hour.

thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50) thanatopsis will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    The rule as I understand it is "within one hour" after you are done lifting. The article does not dispute this fact, it merely suggests that you actually should wait until right around that hour PWO period to down the shake. This sounds reasonable to me since intense exercise is not exactly friendly for digestion due to the effects on the autonomic nervous system. Once you have had time to "calm down" so to speak your digestion is far more optimized to absorb the shake. I generally wait about 10 minutes and sip on the shake out until about 45 minutes PWO as I had not previously considered this... I think I will try waiting until 30 - 45 minutes out to start the shake (I'm in my car for an hour anyway).
    - Jacob
    - Out of the game for a few years... getting back into it to lose some weight.
    - 11/1/11 -- 202 lbs (started 90% Vegetarian diet)
    - 11/25/11 -- 195 lbs
    - 12/8/11 -- 193 lbs

xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10) xven is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Well there is some truth to that. Personally, I think it is advisable to wait out about 15 min. before you consume anything. Simple reason being, blood flow isn't particularly great in the stomach, intestines and the rest of the digestive organs right after a workout, as most of the blood is diverted to the muscles to deliver oxygen, nutrients and whatnot. Also there is the whole process of switcing over to your autonomous nervous system which is responsible for digestion. So giving that little bit of time to have blood circulation back in the stomach and digestive organs, just might be a good idea. However, waiting an hour is ridiculous. 15-45 min. and it's all good.

Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jneves will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bodybuilder420
    Simply put, there is more evidence out there to suggest otherwise. The rate of protein synthesis also relies heavily on not only the type of workout, but also the type of protein/CHO consumed after the workout (be it immediately or an hour after). So I would wonder if he's citing his references properly - so many people don't know how to read a pee-reviewed study it's scary. :-/

I'm confident he can read a peer reviewed study....

I agree with whomever said more research is necassary. Off hand I can't think of aany studies specificly comparing imediatly post workout to a one hour wait. Although the two studies he uses to draw his conclusion are very simlier so the conclusion definatly carries some weight.

full text:

http://jap.physiology.org/cgi/content/full/88/2/386

http://ajpendo.physiology.org/cgi/co...ull/281/2/E197

Personally I don't worry about it a whole lot... pre workout shake - drive to gym - workout - drive home - wait 15-20 minutes - consume PWO shake
    "Leave the pump in the bedroom and add some damn weight to the bar" - Dave Tate

"Train for strength, eat to grow and you will get bigger and stronger" - Someone bigger and stronger then me

saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500) saku is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by xven
    Well there is some truth to that. Personally, I think it is advisable to wait out about 15 min. before you consume anything. Simple reason being, blood flow isn't particularly great in the stomach, intestines and the rest of the digestive organs right after a workout, as most of the blood is diverted to the muscles to deliver oxygen, nutrients and whatnot. Also there is the whole process of switcing over to your autonomous nervous system which is responsible for digestion. So giving that little bit of time to have blood circulation back in the stomach and digestive organs, just might be a good idea. However, waiting an hour is ridiculous. 15-45 min. and it's all good.
    It sounds convincing to me, but how come the directions on SizeOn says to drink durring your work out?

Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jsorb8997 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    SizeOn has nothing to do with this...Creatine/Cell Volumization product.

Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000) Joel is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by saku
    It sounds convincing to me, but how come the directions on SizeOn says to drink durring your work out?

Can be used during or postworkout

During because it has a carb source for energy,among other things

BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BigDaddyRob has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I like to drink a serving of whey immediately after my workout then another serving 30 min later. A big dinner comes about 30 min after that.