Barefooted HomeGym Lifter new2lifting's Avatar
    new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)

Clean and Press(gym manager said I was too loud)

I tried the clean and press for the first time today
    1st set...95 lb-6x...kind of loud
    2nd set-105 lb-6x....getting louder
    3rd set 135 lb-5x ...the whole gym is looking over seeing what is going on

My gym is semi-hardcore, but not alot of people doing hang cleans, clean and presses

Is there anyway to keep the weights from slamming into the floor so loudly

I squat down and just drop the bar out in front of me...and it makes a loud bang

Am I doing something wrong, or are clean and presses just loud as hell when using iron weights?

Sounds like they don't want me doing them in the gym anymore
    The gym manager kindly asked me not to drop the weights

But how the hell am I suppose to get the weights to the ground without dropping them?

Location: ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋј,υѕα ŋ&#1112
    LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250) LAWofNJ has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Dont think you should be doing the clean and press when there isnt a sectino for them. Such as a platform with bumper plates.
    nj all day

BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50) BoxSquat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Lower the weight to your shoulders, then onto your thighs, then down to the ground.

Or purchase some bumper plates.

Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by LAWofNJ
    Dont think you should be doing the clean and press when there isnt a sectino for them. Such as a platform with bumper plates.
    ^^^Agreed. I would definitely consider that obnoxious.

nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) nbk has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    dont drop the weights. lower them lkike a deadlift.
    Old Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=687501
    New Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=735012

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)

Thumbs down

I say dont drop it !
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50) new2lifting will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I guess I was out of line

Glad the manager was nice about it

My feeling was at the time...this is a gym...and I should be able to do my clean and presses and slam the weights

but I see everyone elses point

Looks like if I want to do clean and presses, I need to find a new gym...or learn how to set the weights down gently

Originally Posted by nbk
    dont drop the weights. lower them lkike a deadlift.
    I was lowering them like I was doing a front squat and then just letting the bar fall forward once I was in the full squat position

I guess I should let the bar drop down from the top of the movement and keep standing and then lower them like a deadlift

Would this cause alot of stress on my shoulders? That is lowering the bar suddenly from shoulder level to deadlift position?

kind of new to these, sorry for the stupid questions?

A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000) A-rod is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by new2lifting
    I was lowering them like I was doing a front squat and then just letting the bar fall forward once I was in the full squat position

I guess I should let the bar drop down from the top of the movement and keep standing and then lower them like a deadlift

Would this cause alot of stress on my shoulders? That is lowering the bar suddenly from shoulder level to deadlift position?

I always drop the bar from the full press to my shoulers and then to a deadlift position without much problems , there is stress associated with it but suck it up ......it comes with the territory !
    5'11 @ 220lbs.
    Disclaimer: This is presenting fictitious opinions and does in no way, shape, or form encourage use nor condone the use of any illegal substances or the use of
    legal substances in an illegal manner. The information discussed is strictly for entertainment purposes only and shall not take the place of qualified medical advice

billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) billjones has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lmao, i cant blame him for asking u to not drop the weight, metal plates arent meant to be repetedly dropped from 4 feet, just bring it down to your waist then deadlift position ... using straps my let you drop the weight to your waist easier + when you drop the weights to ur waist ive found it makes your traps sore as hell the next day.

sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Opt for bumper plates or move to a gym with a platform, they are really nice

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

My feeling was at the time...this is a gym...and I should be able to do my clean and presses and slam the weights

Looks like if I want to do clean and presses, I need to find a new gym...or learn how to set the weights down gently

Slamming the weights can break them.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Dark Phoenix is a jewel in the rough. (+500)

Slamming the weights can break them.
    I am not trying to be better than you, just better than myself
    BB jiu jitsu team 2009

khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50) khocha will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    why the **** do u need to drop the weight in the first place?
    I do C&P's all the time with zero noise. You clean, then press, put the weight back on your shoulders, and then put the weight down. I dont see why anyone would drop the weight down unless they were looking for attention, especially given the circumstances in your gym.

Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Couldbebigga has a spectacular aura about. (+250)

haha! No wonder he had a word to you. Unless you're maxing (which you should never do without the right equipment) you should easily be able to lower it. Like others have said, from your shoulders just bring it to your waist. Then set it down easy. If it's causing you pain then there is something wrong that you need to get fixed. It will sap your energy, but hey, you're doing the exercise to get exercise right

heathenhunter has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If I tried that in my gym Id get kicked out! They look at you crazy for doing deadlifts!
    My Workout Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=770926

Misc Armchair Counsellor MantisShrimp's Avatar
    MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    I'm of the mind that as long as no damage is being done to the weights or the floor, people ought to shut the **** up with their noise complaints, or else they should go train at a "fitnesse centre" and not call it a "gym"
    Live Laugh Love,
    MantisShrimp
    Misc Armchair Counsellor

Ladies Love Squat Butt Morbid_Mind's Avatar
    Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Morbid_Mind is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I can see how it would be too loud if they were iron plates. Hell, people complain when I clank the iron plates upon deloading at the bottom of a deadlift. I wouldn't drop them unless they were bumpers though. You could always try and take some of those mats (like 3 each side) and put them under where the plates would land.
    My Goals:

For to make the heavy weights light and the baggy clothes tight.

Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Choktu has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    lol when I saw the title of the thread I figured you were talking about screaming.

sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) sammy21 is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by Choktu
    lol when I saw the title of the thread I figured you were talking about screaming.

I can picture it now...

"GAHHHH RAHHHH, FUCCK YEAAAA AHHHHHHH, PUSSY SHIIIIIIIITTTT"

Manager: "Excuse me sir, could you tone it down a bit"

prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) prickleferret has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

!!

i get a kick out of the guys who moan and clank weights around when they lift at my gym. usually they aren't even doing their exercise right but they are clanking dumbbells together and dropping plates. i just laugh. if you do the clean and press properly, you shouldn't make that much noise. dropping them like powerlifters do is a surefire way to get booted from the gym. you really do have to search these days for a hardcore gym where clean and presses are a regular thing. most of the gyms popping up now are pansy ass gyms with a ton of dance classes and shiny machines. my military base gym is ok but there aren't alot of hardcore lifters who do clean and presses. i think i might just start doing them because of this thread. LOL.

KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500) KyGunator is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    i kno wat you mean. im trying to strength train, build back and shoulders, so i do 3 sets of clean and press. only about 120 pounds. the whole gym stares at me like theve never seen this before. lol probably because most peoples routines are bench machine, arm curls, bench machine, arm curls . . . . .
    My Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=106385041
    Winning the war against skinny-fat genetics since '06.

STATS
    Bench: 560 lbs (belt) (straps) (anti-gravitational device)
    Squat: 1200 lbs (space suit & 2 inch ROM)
    Deadlift: 135 lbs (/w safety helmet)
    Tricep kickback: 225 lbs per arm (straps & help from spotter to swing the weight)

BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) BIG TRUCK has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    LOL dude maybe you should practice push presses to get used to lowering the weight back to shoulders and hang cleans/power cleans/cleans to prctice lowering from shoulders to thighs.

There's no need to drop 135lbs - that's quite a manageable weight by most peoples' standards so long as you've been doing the movement a little (I remember how hard that weight felt at first, admittedly )

OT there was this guy loading the leg press the other day slamming the plates about - nearly deafened me. It gets on my tits a bit when people just look for attention. I understand when a guy does deads or something but just loading the leg press to the max and then doing 1/2 inch rom is just retarded.

Just an update

I overcame my fears and started lowering the weight from shoulder position then to deadlift position

I do this now with no problem, no pain

I drop it and bend my knees a little when catching it to absorb some of the shock

I sit the bar down on the floor soft as a feather

thanks guys for the help

mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000) mike_d is just really nice. (+1000)

Thumbs down

Just an update

I overcame my fears and started lowering the weight from shoulder position then to deadlift position

I do this now with no problem, no pain

I drop it and bend my knees a little when catching it to absorb some of the shock

I sit the bar down on the floor soft as a feather

thanks guys for the help
    I guess thats "good" that you do that, but the lift is not meant to be lowered. One of the main reasons I dont do the lifts is because my gym has no bumper plates. That lift is meant to be dropped from overhead. I think anyone trying to reverse the form and lower the bar is risking possible injury to the shoulders, forearms and lower back. Just my thoughts. I'll never do them until I'm at a gym where I can drop them from wherever the hell I'd like.

I have the same feelings about deadlifts, but I bite my lip and lower calmly even though I should not have to risk my lower back doing so. A persons lower back is more important than a gyms used olympic plates.

SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SlimSladey1021 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Just lower the weight back down to your chest then to your thighs and do it from the hang. You don't have to start from the floor. At the weight you're using, allowing it to drop on to your chest shouldnt hurt, and slamming it against your thighs won't hurt either. Use the straps if you have to, but at that weight, you should be ok.