jpm303 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Preacher curl, barbell curl for big arms

When training, I usually stick to the basics. For arms I use what i think are the most powerful arm exercies; preacher and barbell curls. The only thing I change are the number of reps, weight and order in which I do them. Ive seen great results from heavy preacher curls using a straight bar. My arms seem to develope a fullness all around. This exercise really seems to hit the biceps with alot of power because the preacher bench obviously restricts you from any kind of cheating or swaying. I dont think that you really have to change the exercises you use or equipment (dumbells, barbells, machines etc.) for muscle confussion. Getting big arms is simply a matter of putting as much intensity into your individual training as possible. As for standing barbell curls, I usually stand with my back to the wall. This method prevents cheat curls because the biceps are forced to do all the heavy work without even the slightest help for the shoulders or waist.

SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) SwagMorris has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    Let's give it up for the chinups!
    Home Gym Crew
    AP4
    Pureblood

DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000) DiamondDelts is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by jpm303
    When training, I usually stick to the basics. For arms I use what i think are the most powerful arm exercies; preacher and barbell curls. The only thing I change are the number of reps, weight and order in which I do them. Ive seen great results from heavy preacher curls using a straight bar. My arms seem to develope a fullness all around. This exercise really seems to hit the biceps with alot of power because the preacher bench obviously restricts you from any kind of cheating or swaying. I dont think that you really have to change the exercises you use or equipment (dumbells, barbells, machines etc.) for muscle confussion. Getting big arms is simply a matter of putting as much intensity into your individual training as possible. As for standing barbell curls, I usually stand with my back to the wall. This method prevents cheat curls because the biceps are forced to do all the heavy work without even the slightest help for the shoulders or waist.
    Actually big arms come from heavy TRICEP work. Not endless sets of curls. As for the small muscle knows as the biceps. Close grip chins are my main mass builder.

Pulling DD > curling measly 100lbs for biceps development.

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    "Chocolate Mr. Piccolo"???? you got me cracking up over here DD!!! LOL......

JPM: DD is right of course, as regards to Triceps, but I don't think you meant to ignore that in your post, which I thought was very very good!

although one quote from you:

As for standing barbell curls, I usually stand with my back to the wall. This method prevents cheat curls because the biceps are forced to do all the heavy work without even the slightest help for the shoulders or waist.
    you may reach a point in your development, where, to progress further, you may have to rethink that philosophy......

Misc Armchair Counsellor MantisShrimp's Avatar
    MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000) MantisShrimp is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Dips...biceps are about 30-35% of the muscle in the arm
    Why is it so hard for people to flip their arm around, look at the back side of it, and realize it's larger than the front
    Live Laugh Love,
    MantisShrimp
    Misc Armchair Counsellor

Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Another big bump about tricep training!!

Also, one of the quickest ways to build your arms is to eat, do heavy compound lifts (don't overlook the power of squats for big arms....seriously!! ask any pro), rest and eat and then eat more.
    Retired strongwoman and powerlifter. Now living for God!
    www.ausdisciples.com

* My posts prior to Nov 2008 do not reflect my new-found faith in Christ. I became Christian in Nov 2008.

gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) gecko2424 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    waiting for someone to recommend 21's...
    oh and gecko that link did not contain answers only the search page - swiftness_02

The foods that trigger ketosis are high in carbs, not sugars - michaeldude

JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) JOHN GARGANI has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    People, people! I repeat: I don't think this poster intended to ignore triceps, and in fact, I believe, he meant to say "build big biceps".........

if the original poster would return to his thread, it would shed more light on this matter.......

right away, everyone is touting their favorite triceps exercises....let's wait out the poster to respond.....

Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz Dominik has the mod powerz
    Originally Posted by JOHN GARGANI
    People, people! I repeat: I don't think this poster intended to ignore triceps, and in fact, I believe, he meant to say "build big biceps".........
    The problem is John, the vast majority of guys obsessing over the biceps often ignore the triceps. They've got some magic number in mind for how big their arms should be, without realizing their fastest ticket there is through building up the triceps.

Anyway, I agree with all the earlier comments. Even if large bis look impressive how often do you walk around with your arms flexed anyway? Well-developed tris make a huge difference and weighted dips and chins will build very respectable arms. Curls and extensions ice the cake.

$AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500) $AJ is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by gecko2424
    waiting for someone to recommend 21's...
    why. they're useless.
    <->

Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Titania has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Originally Posted by _Dominik_
    The problem is John, the vast majority of guys obsessing over the biceps often ignore the triceps. They've got some magic number in mind for how big their arms should be, without realizing their fastest ticket there is through building up the triceps.

Anyway, I agree with all the earlier comments. Even if large bis look impressive how often do you walk around with your arms flexed anyway? Well-developed tris make a huge difference and weighted dips and chins will build very respectable arms. Curls and extensions ice the cake.
    That is true and, as I mentioed earlier, I see SO MANY people train their chest and arms and forget about leg training. What they fail to realise (or don't WANT to realise) is that if they trained their legs and back just as hard, their arms would be a couple of inches bigger too.
    Retired strongwoman and powerlifter. Now living for God!
    www.ausdisciples.com

* My posts prior to Nov 2008 do not reflect my new-found faith in Christ. I became Christian in Nov 2008.

Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500) Uncle Junior is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by jpm303
    Psssst. Here's a secret. I don't want you to tell anyone else, because few people here seem to understand it - but the secret to big arms is to develop big, full triceps. Dips, close grip bench and overhead extensions are what you need. But like I said, no one else here knows that so keep it quiet!!