gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10)

40% calories from fat in my diet

I finally kept track of my diet with the fitday.com software, and found that my diet contains an average of ~39% kcal from fat (mostly good fat). I'm not fat, so I don't think this diet is about to make me fat (and I know you need to eat fat to lose fat). But most people recommend only 20%. So my question is, If I were to bring it down to 30% or even 20%, what would change? Since people recommend 20%, would this make it easier for me to lose fat?

TIA,

-Dan
    Never waste an egg yolk

"Breakfast is the most important meal of the morning." -Homer Simpson

"Here's my theory: The better someone's genetics are, the more of a dumb**** he is." -Alan Aragon

rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50) rob86 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    if 40% works for you then go ahead. there's no set % of fat you shouldnt go over... hell look at the people on the keto diet (some do 60% fat). Just make sure to get enough protein and fill the rest in with fat or carbs (whatever you / your body prefers) to get the rest of your calories in

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    40% fat is very reasonable imo. I eat about that much usually, on hard training days I might reduce it and increase carbs (with grains). Normally my only carb sources are veg, which leaves plenty of calorie space to fill with fat
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Journal: http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?goto=lastpost&t=633909

YOUR MOTHER'S BOOTY CALL steelo79's Avatar
    steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) steelo79 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i usually try to keep it 30% protein, 30% fat, and 40% carbs.
    my journal:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=125520783

gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10) gymgrown is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    I'm not looking for reassurance on the 40%, I'm doing okay with that. I'm just wondering what would happen, hypothetically, if I cut that down by a third or so. I would probably fill in the caloric gap with about 60/40 carbs to protien, where carbs average about 40% of my diet right already.
    Never waste an egg yolk

"Here's my theory: The better someone's genetics are, the more of a dumb**** he is." -Alan Aragon

psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) psychojoe is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by tracktion
    I'm not looking for reassurance on the 40%, I'm doing okay with that. I'm just wondering what would happen, hypothetically, if I cut that down by a third or so. I would probably fill in the caloric gap with about 60/40 carbs to protien, where carbs average about 40% of my diet right already.
    I dont know, I think people respond to different macro % differently. Why not try it for a week or two and see what happens
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

That's not a bad idea, but do you think a week or two is enough time to notice a difference? I'm posing the question in advance because I imagine it would take some real time commitment, maybe more like a month, to know by trial.
    Never waste an egg yolk

playdo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playdo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playdo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playdo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) playdo has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    So right now your diet is 40%fat, 40% carb and only 20% protien ? What are your goals from this diet...cutting bulking ? I would reduce that fat % and increase protien...how many total grams of protien are you taking in daily and what are your current stats ?
    -To fear anothers power is to be a coward ... but to not respect it, is to be a fool -

-June 04 315lbs
    -july 06 165lbs
    -current 206lbs and bulking through March '10

That's not a bad idea, but do you think a week or two is enough time to notice a difference? I'm posing the question in advance because I imagine it would take some real time commitment, maybe more like a month, to know by trial.
    well however long you trial it for, youll never know what would have happened the next day, or the next week, etc
    5'11", 187lbs, 19 y/o

[DL]
    5 x 302.5 (06.06)
    [Pullups]
    3x3 x +33 (08.06)
    [overhead]
    115 x 3 (09.06)

Originally Posted by playdo
    So right now your diet is 40%fat, 40% carb and only 20% protien ? What are your goals from this diet...cutting bulking ? I would reduce that fat % and increase protien...how many total grams of protien are you taking in daily and what are your current stats ?
    Yes, that is roughly my macro ratio. It's more something that I discovered rather than something I've achieved. I'm 5'11", 167 lbs, I usually eat at least 3500 cals, and about 1g or a little more protien/bodyweight. Now that I've established my macros from a couple weeks of recording, I'm upping my protien.

My goal is the same as everyone's goal (lean mass, less fat, sky's the limit), trying to avoid the yo-yo method too much, although if I had to pick one, I'm on a bulk. I don't have a statistical goal. I'm planning to get my bf% measured next week.
    Never waste an egg yolk

Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    It's going to be subtle, but dietary fat is more easily stored in caloric excess. Your body does a better job of buffering excess incoming carbohydrates through synthesis of depleted glycogen. The key is to get adequete to moderate dietary fat intake, not high fat. Carbohydrates also provide the necessary nitrogen retention environment for protein synthesis. Not to mention the stronger workouts (and hence better growth stimulus) from more carbohydrates eaten around your workout.

Alright, that looks like sound advice. I'll try and cut down the amount of peanut butter and almond butter I eat.

Alex, I seem to remember that you posted your diet recently and the only carb source was a half cup of oatmeal. How does that diet square with your advice above?
    Never waste an egg yolk

Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    What are you talking about?

Originally Posted by Alex88
    What are you talking about?
    Must not have been you.
    Never waste an egg yolk