MikeWilliam has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Healthy MRP/Protein bars or powders??

Can anyone give me some advice on where I can find some healthy protein or MRP bars. Since I'll be having them everyday, Id like to find some ones that dont have high fructose corn syrup, etc. I dont care about taste, just want a healthy bar with protein. Thanks

Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by MikeWilliam
    Can anyone give me some advice on where I can find some healthy protein or MRP bars. Since I'll be having them everyday, Id like to find some ones that dont have high fructose corn syrup, etc. I dont care about taste, just want a healthy bar with protein. Thanks
    make your own! oats, natural peanut butter, whey protein, and some milk!
    thats the best way to go, most protein bars out there are junk, have bad sources of protein, lots of cals and lots of sugar. check out this thread:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=346329

i always make that first one

matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)

Yo

literally just amde these:

8 oz fat-free cream cheese
    5 scoops protein powder (I used ON Chocolate Whey)
    1/4 cup splenda
    dash of cinnamon
    3 cups whole oats
    1/4 cup water
    2 tbsp PB

Combine cream cheese, protein powder, splenda and cinnamon in a bowl and mix until it's smooth. You don't need a blender--after all, you're a bodybuilder, aren't you? Next, add the oats and water and blend until you have a homogeneous mixture. Spray an 8x8 pan with Pam. Spread the mixture in the pan. The mixture should be about an inch thick and evenly spread. Put the pan in your fridge for a couple of hours. When they're cold and solid, cut them into nine equal-size bars. Each bar will have the following:
    190 cals, 20g protein, 20g carbs, 2.5g fat

==================================================
    Complete Nutrition Stats for Entire Mixture:

Calories ==> 1710/9 = 190
    Protein ==> 185g/9 = 20
    Carbs ==> 184g (24 fiber)/9 = 20
    Fat ==> 23g/9 = 2.5
    Cholest ==> 180mg/9 = 20
    Sodium ==> 2050mg/9 = 227
    Potass ==> 0mg/9 = 0

With 2 tbsp of peanut better – taste increases

Original: 190 cals, 20g protein, 20g carbs, 2.5g fat
    With PB: 212 cals, 21.5g protein, 21.3 carbs, 6.2g fat

ONly i forgot the cinnamon and the splenda - the left over in the bowl still tasted great tho - took not long - except stirring th mixture prolyl burned 500cal
    "There's levels of retardation most people don't even know about"

- Matt's Journal
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?p=84812603#post84812603

"Solid session after all that alcohol intoxication" - Kruczynski

Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I wouldn't put so much importance on protein bars as something that you want to have every day. Commercially sold protein bars are not that great and even the home made ones are a side track or a distraction from better eating habits of lean meats, fresh fruits, veggies legumes, whole grains etc. You are so much better off with regular food in it's raw or cooked form, rathar than trying to form it into a "bar" or trying to drink it as part of a concoction, even if you have to pack a small lunch bag for on the go with oats or whole wheat bread, a can of tuna or half a chicken breast, and an apple, for example.

Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by Jim_Gym
    I wouldn't put so much importance on protein bars as something that you want to have every day. Commercially sold protein bars are not that great and even the home made ones are a side track or a distraction from better eating habits of lean meats, fresh fruits, veggies legumes, whole grains etc. You are so much better off with regular food in it's raw or cooked form, rathar than trying to form it into a "bar" or trying to drink it as part of a concoction, even if you have to pack a small lunch bag for on the go with oats or whole wheat bread, a can of tuna or half a chicken breast, and an apple, for example.
    obviously food is better, but if you read the title of the thread he's asking about Meal replacements and protein bars.

Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50) Jim_Gym will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Sockomalo
    obviously food is better, but if you read the title of the thread he's asking about Meal replacements and protein bars.
    I understand, but neither one is something that people should feel so drawn to or desirious of as to plan to consume them on a daily basis with pride. Better to nip that thinking in the bud than to strategize how to find and purchase or create halfway decent bars or MRPs from scratch. It's just an end run from what one should be doing for their health that many fitness people have somehow turned into a virtue.

I understand, but neither one is something that people should feel so drawn to or desirious of as to plan to consume them on a daily basis with pride. Better to nip that thinking in the bud than to strategize how to find and purchase or create halfway decent bars or MRPs from scratch. It's just an end run from what one should be doing for their health that many fitness people have somehow turned into a virtue.
    i don't see how you could think oats, whey powder, and peanut butter, mixed together is bad..... especially on a bulk

I was really just looking for bars that are healthy - but i am open to other suggestions. People say I can take oats - i dont get it. DOnt you have to cook oats to eat them (oatmeal)? Or are oats just some type of cereal?

Im basically looking for a quick and hopefully painless source of protein. Any more ideas are much appreciated.

Originally Posted by matthor
    literally just amde these:

8 oz fat-free cream cheese
    5 scoops protein powder (I used ON Chocolate Whey)
    1/4 cup splenda
    dash of cinnamon
    3 cups whole oats
    1/4 cup water
    2 tbsp PB

Combine cream cheese, protein powder, splenda and cinnamon in a bowl and mix until it's smooth. You don't need a blender--after all, you're a bodybuilder, aren't you? Next, add the oats and water and blend until you have a homogeneous mixture. Spray an 8x8 pan with Pam. Spread the mixture in the pan. The mixture should be about an inch thick and evenly spread. Put the pan in your fridge for a couple of hours. When they're cold and solid, cut them into nine equal-size bars. Each bar will have the following:
    190 cals, 20g protein, 20g carbs, 2.5g fat

==================================================
    Complete Nutrition Stats for Entire Mixture:

Calories ==> 1710/9 = 190
    Protein ==> 185g/9 = 20
    Carbs ==> 184g (24 fiber)/9 = 20
    Fat ==> 23g/9 = 2.5
    Cholest ==> 180mg/9 = 20
    Sodium ==> 2050mg/9 = 227
    Potass ==> 0mg/9 = 0

With 2 tbsp of peanut better – taste increases

Original: 190 cals, 20g protein, 20g carbs, 2.5g fat
    With PB: 212 cals, 21.5g protein, 21.3 carbs, 6.2g fat

ONly i forgot the cinnamon and the splenda - the left over in the bowl still tasted great tho - took not long - except stirring th mixture prolyl burned 500cal
    sounds good... but isnt "fat free" cream cheese filled with some funky stuff to make it like that?? is that healthy?

I was really just looking for bars that are healthy - but i am open to other suggestions. People say I can take oats - i dont get it. DOnt you have to cook oats to eat them (oatmeal)? Or are oats just some type of cereal?

Im basically looking for a quick and hopefully painless source of protein. Any more ideas are much appreciated.
    oats can also be eaten raw, sometimes i just eat them like that as a snack, or ground up (also raw) and thrown in a shake

i don't see how you could think oats, whey powder, and peanut butter, mixed together is bad..... especially on a bulk
    Those are good ingrediants, but one could eat them seperately and get the same nutrition and be more satiated. The idea of trying to mix them all together (yuck!) and emulate the form of a candy bar, just seems pointless to me.

For protein you can't beat a can of tuna or half a chicken breast. Oats are great too for complex carbs and also some protein too. You can eat them raw like dry cereal- I like them with cinammon on top. One can also cook them and eat oats like mushy hot oatmeal.

For protein you can't beat a can of tuna or half a chicken breast. Oats are great too for complex carbs and also some protein too. You can eat them raw like dry cereal- I like them with cinammon on top. One can also cook them and eat oats like mushy hot oatmeal.
    i couldnt agree more with you here. my diet consists mainly of oats, tuna, and chicken breast. i only have 1 protein shake a day and thats after the gym.

matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) matthor is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    yea, but sometimes u just dont have time to organise a meal so they do come in handy at these times - im not going to be using mine everyday - just when i have class or cant prep. for work etc

btw - props for the above recipe go to bphoward1

- Matt's Journal

i couldnt agree more with you here. my diet consists mainly of oats, tuna, and chicken breast. i only have 1 protein shake a day and thats after the gym.
    I eat oats, tuna and chicken almost every day, but I really mix up my other meals a lot. Lotsa different meat, fruit and veggies. I had a bison burger and ostrich fillet the other day for lunch and dinner. Venison is good protein too, and green veggies are awesome. Variety is important!

deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50) deaths_ally will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Protein bars are not "that" bad. I mean, there are worst things and although u shouldnt use them as a staple in ur diet and consume them everyday as a meal replacement, I find when im going running or doing some sort of activity and I want a quick energy boost, they really help ... I like Tri o plex bars, Promax Bars, Oh yeah bars, Detour Bars ... They all are good .. I buy the Tri o plex ones the most often though cause they fill me up!

great meat option is kangaroo meat, if ya can get it mate very lean. so i've been told

- Matt's Journal

becoming godsized! bodybuilder45's Avatar
    bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) bodybuilder45 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    i am a firm believer that MRP's or protein bars should only be used to replace whole foods in extreme situations (no time to cook, in a hurry, cant have food somewhere so you need to sneak in a bar, etc.). going back on topic, i find SAN's infusion to be a great MRP powder as well as prolab's lean mass matrix. MHP has a decent one too. as far as bars are concerned, unless you make your own, they are all pretty much junk. however, i do always keep a snickers high protein marathon bar in my gym bag just in case it is impossible to get to a meal. 26g protein, 36g carbs (7g fiber), and 7g fat. it also claims to have a low GI rating despite containing some HFCS. it will work if theres nothing else. they dont come much better than this IMO which just shows that these are all junk.

Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Alex88 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by bodybuilder45
    it also claims to have a low GI rating despite containing some HFCS. it will work if theres nothing else. they dont come much better than this IMO which just shows that these are all junk.
    They can claim it's low GI because the fiber and fat slows down the release of the 30+ grams of pure sugar into the bloodstream. I can slam down 2 tablespoons of corn syrup with some psyllium husk and a tablespoon of peanut butter and claim the whole concoction is "low gi". This all just shows how the GI is just all one misleading marketing tool.

The_One_AndOnly has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Me Personally, I use a Triplex Bar before My workout mon. - friday. Good Sources of proten and is whole grain, low GI

Originally Posted by The_One_AndOnly
    Me Personally, I use a Triplex Bar before My workout mon. - friday. Good Sources of proten and is whole grain, low GI
    tri-o-plex bars? if thats what youre talking about, they did a test and they don't actually contain what the label claims... you can check it out here http://www.labelclaimstesting.com/?pageID=20
    way more carbs (probably sugars) and alot less protein than what they claim.

Detour bars didnt do as bad
    http://www.labelclaimstesting.com/?pageID=4&mp=9&
    they claim to have 6g sugar but really have 14g