bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Working the abs with weights

I've been doing ab crunches for ages without any sign of improvement (my diet is good).

Everyday I do the following:
    200 crunches lying on my back like this /\___0
    200 with my legs raised in the air
    100 where I lie on my back and bring my knees close to my chest.

Today in the gym I decided to do 100 normal crunches with a 10kg weight on my stomach, and one hundred more with my legs raised in the air with the 10kg weight on my stomach. Is it safe to do this, will it be beneficial for developing my abs or should I stick to my normal ab routine? The 10kg weight on my stomach didnt make it any harder tbh, I could probably use 15kg or 20kg.

Thanks

swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) swordfish7 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    maybe i don't understand you correctly, but putting a weight on your stomach isn't going to help. You need to hold the weight across your chest, behind your head, or strap weight to your ankles to get any benefit from it.

Cable stations are pretty good for doing weighted ab work too.
    "vegetarians only eat life forms that can't run, hide, or defend themselves"

I rep back

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Pulldown abs, weighted crunches, decline crunch, leg raises.
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    You should read Pavel Tsatsouline's Bullet Proof Abs. There are plenty of great ab exercises you can do without weight.

Read into Jackknife Pushups, window washers, boxer twists, ab rollouts, stuff like that.

It's safe to work abs with weight, although I forget exactly what it does with your abs, in terms of making the bigger, etc.
    Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. - Conan

bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) bozco has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    thanks for the prompt advice guys.

so i should be doing crunches holding the weight on my chest?

Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500) Squats is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by bozco
    thanks for the prompt advise guys.

so i should be doing crunches holding the weight on my chest?
    Yeah.
    “Methods are many,
    Principles are few,
    Methods often change,
    Principles never do.”

http://www.higher-faster-sports.com/bodybuilding.html

I heard this place, I r o n M ass was a pretty good place , they got (no G&N) pervs.

Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000) Worldwide is a name known to all. (+5000)

Everyday I do the following:
    200 crunches lying on my back like this /\___0
    200 with my legs raised in the air
    100 where I lie on my back and bring my knees close to my chest.
    LMAO - this is some serious overkill.

What "results" are you looking for? Visible abs? That will only come when your body fat is low enough to make them visible.

I admit I am a tard when it comes to fitness. Worldwide, how many crunches would you advise doing? I am looking for visible strong abs, heres what I look like

Last edited by bozco; 04-21-2006 at 06:22 PM.

SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    All of those crunches are pretty much useless. abs are just like any other muscle. You have to increase resistance to make them stronger. Do a couple sets of weighted crunches at the end of your workout two or three times a week and you will be fine. And make it fairly heavy weight. I would keep the reps fairly low.

hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500) hvit is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    BLAHHALFKJEOIFJQO:JALKF

Crunches aren't good, most people utilize their hip flexors more than their abs. Do Janda sit ups if you have a partner, and if not, in all honesty. Look up Jackknife pushups, they are stupidly hard, and you should have no problem in getting a good set of abs if you do them.
    Let me live deep while I live; let me know the rich juices of red meat and battle when the blue blades flame and crimson, and I am content. - Conan

WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250) WillB485 has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by MAMMUT
    BLAHHALFKJEOIFJQO:JALKF

Crunches aren't good, most people utilize their hip flexors more than their abs. Do Janda sit ups if you have a partner, and if not, in all honesty. Look up Jackknife pushups, they are stupidly hard, and you should have no problem in getting a good set of abs if you do them.
    if you focus on doing an accordian-like movement during the crunch and keep constant tension on the abs, it uses very little hip flexors

Registered User AnaerobicAndrew's Avatar
    AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000) AnaerobicAndrew is just really nice. (+1000)
    I admit I am a tard when it comes to fitness. Worldwide, how many crunches would you advise doing? I am looking for visible strong abs, heres what I look like

Based on your pics, you have very little LBM... sorry, its the truth. You need to do some serious full body training for at least a couple years before you shuold even begin worrying about the finer points of constructing your abs. Build your whole body; your abs will follow on their own.
    "Swim 2.4 miles. Bike 112 miles. Run 26.2 miles. BRAG for the rest of your life." IRONMAN TRIATHLON

Es gibt keinen anderen Teufel als den wir in unserem eigenen Herzen haben.

Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) Bogaerts has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by crazygerman
    Based on your pics, you have very little LBM... sorry, its the truth. You need to do some serious full body training for at least a couple years before you shuold even begin worrying about the finer points of constructing your abs. Build your whole body; your abs will follow on their own.

Crazygerman beat me to it. He is exactly right. I was, and still am to a certain extent in this situation.

Looking at your pic, abs are the least of the things you should be concerned with. You need to add more LBM. For you to have abs that show right now, you would have to loose so much weight you would look like a starving ethiopian (with abs).

Your ab routine is not the problem, it's your overall bf% vs lm. I had to put aside my "quest" for abs and focus on the rest of my body. Yes, I still look in the mirror sometimes, and yes, I still think about a time when I will have a visible six pack. However, I have faith in my ab workout (much less now than before), and faith in building up enough lean mass to be able to cut down to a six pack in the future.....

Worry about the rest of your routine, squats, deads, bench, press, etc....when you have those things, the abs will come (and you probably wont need to do 200 - 300 crunches to get them either........
    You know you have cleavage when you can hold a credit card between your pecs......change anyone?

Guys, thanks for all the advice.

AaronOC has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    you need about another 40-50 lbs before you can start to worry about abs

bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) bigpump23 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    to get that define looked you need to
    Chicks dig big calves