ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10)

Wheat Bran vs Oat Bran - which's better?

Just a quick question for ya. I'm comparing the ingred and nutr facts for wheat bran to oat bran and it seems like you get more out of wheat bran than oat bran strictly nutritional fact based. Is there a reason why oat's better?? Or is it not?

Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Not better - different

Wheat bran is higher in fiber and lower in cals I believe, but oatbran is also great for the fiber. Also, it TASTES better
    Right now it doesn't matter what the results will be.
    Whats more important is that you test the waters. You share the story.. you add a different aspect to your recovery..

Leap and the net will appear..

ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10) ChrystalR is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    so taste is the big deciding factor?? Hrmm - if I can choke down egg's (I hate eggs) I can probably handle wheat bran ROFL. Well, I just know that we've got a HUGE bag of it here (not sure why my mom has wheat bran) so it's gotta go somewhere, might as well eat it!!

Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000) Megin is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Why not use them together? I think there is a bit of a difference in the type of carbs - and they work well together!
    Right now it doesn't matter what the results will be.
    Whats more important is that you test the waters. You share the story.. you add a different aspect to your recovery..

Leap and the net will appear..

Dreaming my life away.... emmie's Avatar
    emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500) emmie is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Well, oat bran can be cooked into a delicious, creamy hot cereal (similar to cream of wheat, but unprocessed), but wheat bran, no matter what, will retain it's saw-dust-like texture. Don't get me wroong, I love wheat bran for it's fiber, but it really needs to be mixed into something in order to be palatable. Stirring a couple of Tb. into your cooked cereal, or yogurt, or cot. cheese is a good option. Making some healthy bran muffins is an even better idea. Another difference: Wheat bran's fiber is insoluable. Oat bran's fiber is mostly the soluable type.

- Emma

emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10) emunah is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    Ditto emma. You can't really cook wheat bran the same way.

I prefer oat bran over oatmeal, personally.

gumbygirl has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

in/soluble fiber

i think biggest diff is that wheat bran fiber is mainly insoluble while oat is soluble. it is only soluble that is linked to lowering cholesterol, as it binds to it in the body. insol fiber passes thru you, acting mostly as an intestinal/food mobilizer.
    +If you want to increase your success rate, double your failure rate. ~Thomas Watson
    +The only difference between a diamond and a lump of coal is that the diamond had a little more pressure put on it. ~Anonymous.

Well I've been mixing it in the morning - eat a little bit of one and then the other as well. Definitely see the saw dust comparison!! Bleh! No wonder you don't want to eat it by itself haha.

Thanks for the info ladies

shaunalee0822 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

wheat bran vs oat bran

Originally Posted by ChrystalR View Post
    Just a quick question for ya. I'm comparing the ingred and nutr facts for wheat bran to oat bran and it seems like you get more out of wheat bran than oat bran strictly nutritional fact based. Is there a reason why oat's better?? Or is it not?
    Wheat bran has more fiber but oat bran helps your heart more. Wheat bran should be introduced slowly to prevent stomach upset like bloating, cramps, etc. I eat oat bran because I feel like oats must have less gluten than wheat, and sometimes wheat makes me crave more bread (see wheat belly online). But, oat bran does taste like saw dust by itself without enough liquid when cooking it like oatmeal. Try this recipe for a great before workout snack:

1/3 cup of oat bran
    hot water or almond milk to your preference (some like runny, others paste-like)
    Dash of cinnamon
    Packet of 100% Stevia
    Dash of ground flax and wheat germ (optional)

leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50) leengainzbaby will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Oat bran has more nutritional value if you're going to eat it as a cereal. I wouldn't recommend eating wheat bran by the cupful. It's an insoluble fiber, you can't really process it, not to mention wheat is extremely inflammatory and more and more people find they have some form of gluten sensitivity. And it absolutely wrecks your colon and disrupts the natural flora of your gut. Trust me, I actually tried it for a while and I was bloated ALL the time. If you don't have a gluten sensitivity you could add a tablespoon or so into oat bran or yogurt or whatever to increase your fiber intake. But I'd recommend getting fiber from veggies and things like flax or chia seed because at least then you're getting some omegas. Wheat bran is pretty much a "dead" food... not much point in eating it IMO. On that note, psyllium husk is no bueno as well.
    NPC National Figure Competitor
    Team iForce Nutrition Athlete
    http://www.********.com/elena.carvell
    IG: @elenacarvell

wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000) wannabefit69 is just really nice. (+1000)
    i make oat bran/ wheat bran pancakes every morning half of the serving size of each so whatever is half of 1/3cup of both, some ground flaxseed, hemp seeds and made with unsweetened true almond coconut milk..make into pancakes top with fruit and sugar free syrup...its soo yummy!