commandos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) commandos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Angry natural peanut butter

I have read a lot about everyone saying that peanut butter is one of those power foods and can be eaten fairly liberally at any point. but these comments are that the peanut butter eaten should be natural peanut butter. I live in south africa and have never heard of 'natural peanut butter' before. first of all what is the difference between natural and unnatural peanut butter, second is there anyone here from south africa that knows about this and can help me and thirdly, maybe we do have some of this natural stuff here and i dont know what im looking for, so what on the tub am i looking for (besides the obvious of it saying natural peanut butter) to tell me whether it is the best stuff or not??

thanks guys
    pain i can live with, its failure that really gets to me

Registered User yellowjacket621's Avatar
    yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) yellowjacket621 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    The ingredients should say: Peanuts, and possibly salt, sugar, and some type of oil.

If the ingredients list has a bunch of chemicals listed, or is more than 5 items long; it isn't natural.

gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) gobluevw has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I have absolutely no idea about what types of products you have in south africa, but considering there are only a handful of brands that sell it here, you might not have it.

Like said above, it should have very few ingredients.

Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50) Flat will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    I'm from SA too.

I think the closest equivalent we have is Black Cat. Not the normal black cat peanut butter but the one with no salt or sugar added. It comes in both crunchy and smooth varieties.

As for peanut butter being a "power food", I'm gonna have to strongly agree. If you're bulking its great and I get away with using quite a bit when I'm cutting too. As with everything don't overdo it, because of the high fat content (monounsaturated) it has quite a lot of kilojoules.

Also the bonus is that monounsaturated fats (in general) has been shown to increase testosterone levels in men. Not only peanut butter has monounsaturated fats, olive oil and canola oil are also good sources.

Good luck on your goals
    Isn't it enough to see that a garden is beautiful without having to believe that there are fairies at the bottom of it too?
    - Douglas Adams

whywontgodhealamputees.com

commandos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) commandos has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    ok thanks guys

im mainly asking because for (packed) lunch i have a peanut butter sandwich plus whatever else and it would be better to have the right thing.

thanks for the ingredients, next time ill have a look.

dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by yellowjacket621
    The ingredients should say: Peanuts, and possibly salt, sugar, and some type of oil.

If the ingredients list has a bunch of chemicals listed, or is more than 5 items long; it isn't natural.
    No it shouldn't. The ingredients should say: Peanuts, salt OR just peanuts. There is nothing else added to natural peanut butter. If sugar and oil are added it's not natural.

The oil in the peanut butter comes from the peanuts, not from adding it.

Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500)
    Originally Posted by dropxxzone
    No it shouldn't. The ingredients should say: Peanuts, salt OR just peanuts. There is nothing else added to natural peanut butter. If sugar and oil are added it's not natural.

my natural peanut butter, Ingredients: Peanuts.
    Maybe it's hatred I spew, maybe it's food for the spirit
    Maybe it's beautiful music I made for you to just cherish
    But I'm debated disputed hated and viewed in America
    as a motherf**kin drug addict - like you didn't experiment?
    Now now, that's when you start to stare at who's in the mirror
    and see yourself as a kid again, and you get embarrased
    And I got nothin to do but make you look stupid as parents
    You f**kin do-gooders - too bad you couldn't do good at marriage!

dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) dropxxzone has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by Sockomalo
    my natural peanut butter, Ingredients: Peanuts.
    As it should be...

AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50) AbramsM1 will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Off topic, anybody make their own natty PB?

Just wondering if a blender would do it or something a bit stronger.

Regards,
    Abrams
    Oh-oh say can you see, by the dawn's early light,
    what so proudly we hailed, at the twilight's last gleaming?

Whose broad stripes and bright stars, through the perilous fight, or the ramparts we watched,
    were so gallantly streaming.

And the rocket's red glare, the bombs bursting in air,
    gave proof through the night, that our flag was still there.

Oh-oh say does that star spangled banner yet wave,
    O'er the land of the free, and the home of the brave?

JoKat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Thumbs up

Hey there,

I am also from South Africa. Nice to see a few locals haunting these forums. Do you also post on www.johnstonefitness.com?

Where abouts in SA are you. I buy Natural Peanut butter a couple of times a month. I have found a one thats actually alot cheaper than the crap you buy at the supermarket.

Also where do you buy your supps, if at all? Cos sups in SA are so damn expensive... well at least whey is, creatine is not too bad.

I look forward to hearing from you...

Kind Regards

JoKat

WHats up.

Originally Posted by JoKat
    Do you also post on www.johnstonefitness.com?
    no i dont

Originally Posted by JoKat
    Where abouts in SA are you.
    I have recently moved to joburg, but im from durban. where do you stay

Where the hell do you buy your peanut butter from. I have only looked in checkers and pick n pay and they just have the 'unnatural' varieties.

by the way whats the difference between natural and unnatural, besides the obvious.

The other day i was at dischem , and they had a special on eas whey protein (the one in the purple container, but i dont know exactly which one). the special was that you buy the big tub (+- 1kg) and you get the smaller one free (+-500g) and that was for like 300 bucks, compared to makro where they were selling the big one only for 400 bucks. so i reckon dischem is the place to try. ive only bought that at the moment (im a noob lifter), but this weekend im looking to buy a fat burner, maybe phedra-cut and will check dischem out.

shot a lot

FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500) FunkLord is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    Originally Posted by AbramsM1
    Off topic, anybody make their own natty PB?

Just wondering if a blender would do it or something a bit stronger.

Regards,
    Abrams
    Yes! I just made some for the first time. My blender did the trick... nothing special really, just a standard 300W blender. Came out very smooth and awesome. I added a little bit of almond oil at the start, but in retrospect I don't think I needed any. Ingredients: Peanuts, a little almond oil.

JoKat has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Talking

Originally Posted by commandos
    where do you stay
    I live in the Strand...

Where the hell do you buy your peanut butter from. I have only looked in checkers and pick n pay and they just have the 'unnatural' varieties.
    I found 100% natural peanut butter at a tiny little health shop in Somerset West. Costs R9.00 for a tub the same size as the ones you buy in PnP or Checkers.

by the way whats the difference between natural and unnatural, besides the obvious.
    Natural is just that... Has only peanuts as the ingredients. No added salt or preservatives. You could take it one step further and buy organic natural peanut butter too but I have yet to find that here in SA.

The other day i was at dischem , and they had a special on eas whey protein (the one in the purple container, but i dont know exactly which one). the special was that you buy the big tub (+- 1kg) and you get the smaller one free (+-500g) and that was for like 300 bucks, compared to makro where they were selling the big one only for 400 bucks. so i reckon dischem is the place to try. ive only bought that at the moment (im a noob lifter), but this weekend im looking to buy a fat burner, maybe phedra-cut and will check dischem out.
    Yeah, Dischem is prob the best place to buy supps in SA at the moment. I have been looking at prices in the UK and US and they are much much cheaper but the prob is getting the stuff here... shipping costs a small fortune when you factor in the exchange rate.

Kind Regards,

JoKat

Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) Sixpack has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)

Cool

eat either kind it will make minimal difference in anything
    Official Champion Performance Forum Rep
    www.championperformance.com
    @teamchampion
    20%off all Champion products in November!

"Tough Times Don't Last, But Tough People Do"
    POPS 12-17-89
    "IN GOD WE TRUST"

Eat low-fat at your peril Max Protein's Avatar
    Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250) Max Protein has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Originally Posted by Sixpack
    eat either kind it will make minimal difference in anything
    The sodium does in added salt brands but as long as the rest of your diet is low-sodium then don't sweat it.
    Sweating the small stuff is generally what f's a diet up.
    You gotta go through hell to get the body made in heaven.

"We are all in the gutter, but some of us find ourselves looking up at the stars." - Oscar Wilde
    ---
    Training 4 years...165lbs @ 6.5% bodyfat

ok thanks all, i found something that is going to have to do. peanut butter with no sugar or salt added, ingredients: peanuts, stabiliser (black cat, thanks flat).

i also found this peanut butter in a health shop. it looked more like masala or that chili stuff. it was like double the price for half the quantity compared to the stuff above.
    Last edited by commandos; 04-24-2006 at 02:48 AM.

the special was that you buy the big tub (+- 1kg) and you get the smaller one free (+-500g) and that was for like 300 bucks, compared to makro where they were selling the big one only for 400 bucks
    edit: big tub +- 5 lbs and the smaller one +-1 kg for 300 bucks.
    dischem: USN phedra cut (with stimulant) 100s for R145-00

Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500) Sockomalo is not very helpful. (-500)
    edit: big tub +- 5 lbs and the smaller one +-1 kg for 300 bucks.
    dischem: USN phedra cut (with stimulant) 100s for R145-00
    you can normally tell natural peanut butter has oil seperation at the top, you just gotta mix it in well. i'm not too sure what stabilizer is

Chilled out entertainer msundi83's Avatar
    msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    you can normally tell natural peanut butter has oil seperation at the top, you just gotta mix it in well. i'm not too sure what stabilizer is
    I would think they would tell you what the stabablizer was instead of just calling it a stablizer. The reason natty PB has oil on top is because it doesn't have any emulsifying agents (stabilizers). They prevent the fat from demulsifying or settling out. Really, its just the added suger and hydrogenated oils that are what we are looking to stay away from. If a PB doesn't have those great!. If you are only having a tbsp with you cottage cheese at night, it's not going to make a world of difference prolly.

Originally Posted by msundi83
    I would think they would tell you what the stabablizer was instead of just calling it a stablizer. The reason natty PB has oil on top is because it doesn't have any emulsifying agents (stabilizers). They prevent the fat from demulsifying or settling out. Really, its just the added suger and hydrogenated oils that are what we are looking to stay away from. If a PB doesn't have those great!. If you are only having a tbsp with you cottage cheese at night, it's not going to make a world of difference prolly.
    yea i just find it a little shady that they would put "stabiliser" in the ingredients, and coming from south africa, im not sure how regulated their food industry is, as opposed to north america, but that stabiliser could be anything.....

Chilled out entertainer msundi83's Avatar
    msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10) msundi83 is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    yea i just find it a little shady that they would put "stabiliser" in the ingredients, and coming from south africa, im not sure how regulated their food industry is, as opposed to north america, but that stabiliser could be anything.....
    haha, good point. i'm sure all sorts of crazy things could be used to stabablize.

momma said knoq u out ballboy20's Avatar
    ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) ballboy20 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Originally Posted by dropxxzone

Lot's of people get organic and natural peanut butters mixed up. Organic peanuts butters they do usually add organic cane juice or something to substitute sugar.

But I don't know if you have ever tried Smart Balance's Natural Peanut Butter. They add flax oil and molasses and it is still labeled natural.
    6'6"
    230 lbs

"Some people want it to happen, some wish it would happen, others make it happen."---Michael Jordan

"Everyone has a plan, 'til they get hit."-Mike Tyson

plaasvars has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

Peanut Butter in Somerset West

Where is this shop in Somerset West that sells the natural peanut butter?

softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) softpounder is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by plaasvars View Post
    Where is this shop in Somerset West that sells the natural peanut butter?
    Well, it's been over 7 years that this thread has been commenced. I'm not sure if the original users are still active members to answer that question for you.
    Retired 74kg PL Open Division (3 meets)

Katrinx has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Hahahaha! Omg Really you guys Really want these americans to laugh at us hay? Phedra cut!? REALLY? Your a man not a school boy! Get REAL stuff please.and some test too sounds like u and ur friend needs to man up. BTW who eats peanutbutter sanwiches?? Dammit. Go look up some meal plans! Buy chicken fillets brown rice and clean veggies OR carry on struggling. Damn boys.

smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) smokinal has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    ^^Dang girl! Tell em where the bear sh!ts in the woods!

btw... http://teddie.com/ ftw
    2017 OCB Men's Physique Open 4th place
    17 MP Novice 4th
    18 MP Novice 5th
    18 MP 40+ 3rd
    18 MP Open 5'10" & under 1st
    18 MP 40+ 1st & Overall..Pro Card Won
    19 Classic Phys Open 3rd
    19 CP 40+ 3rd
    19 BB open 3rd
    19 BB 40+ 1st..2nd Pro Card
    19 BB 40+1st..50+1st...3rd Pro Card