bat8man has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)

arms not growing?

Hey, i've been doing this arm workout once a week and i am getting stronger but not bigger... standing barbell curl- 4 sets increasing weight- 15,12,10,8. seated incline dumbbell curl- 4 sets, same as last. lying tricep extention, same. close grip bench press, 4 sets, 10 reps. I am also eating right, and getting a minimum of 1g of protein per pound a day. Any suggestions?

SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) SKWeathers has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    If you're not growing, then you are not eating enough. Simple as that. Just increase caloric intake until you start to grow.

dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) dirtydean12 is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    target weight times 20 usually gives you the amount of calories you should be eating to get to that weight. for example, i weigh ~185 right now, if i wanna get up to 200 i should be taking in about 4000 cal/day
    *MusclePharm: Official Supplement of the UFC*

drew[at]musclepharm.com

RIP G.K. Miller 7/7/1963-2/13/2007

FEAR IS THE MINDKILLER

********.com/musclepharm

basically the problem is in my caloric intake, not the workout. ok, thanks guys.

Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by bat8man
    basically the problem is in my caloric intake, not the workout. ok, thanks guys.
    Uh.. not so fast lol. Honestly, your arm workout most likely will have very little bearing on the size of your arms. It's how well you do on the compounds such as the bench, military and BB rows that will make your guns massive. What does the rest of your workout look like?

this is going to sound stupid but how does that have any bearing directly on my arms?

JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Hey, i've been doing this arm workout once a week and i am getting stronger but not bigger... standing barbell curl- 4 sets increasing weight- 15,12,10,8. seated incline dumbbell curl- 4 sets, same as last. lying tricep extention, same. close grip bench press, 4 sets, 10 reps. I am also eating right, and getting a minimum of 1g of protein per pound a day. Any suggestions?
    sorry but that workout is junk. especially if you are working out once a week. also, remember that biceps are one of the slowest growing muscles compared to the others. have you measured them to be sure? or are you going by eye? how long have you been working out? someone said it's simply diet and thats it. this is not always the case. are you constantly doing the same exercises week in week out? muscle memory can ruin gains bigtime.
    "You don't get big in the gym, you get big in the kitchen"

When you're this big, they call you MR.

5'6 224lbs

yes i have actually measured, and i have been working doing that workout for about a month now.

JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250) JadeDragon has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    so you've been working out for a month?
    "You don't get big in the gym, you get big in the kitchen"

When you're this big, they call you MR.

5'6 224lbs

no, i began this workout and have been using it for about a month, however my previous regiment didn't show much improvement.

Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50) Liquidtensi0n will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    this is going to sound stupid but how does that have any bearing directly on my arms?
    Because bench and militaries are largely dependant on your tris and rows are largely dependant on the biceps. Moreover, doing those lifts is gonna make your body grow as a system, which is important even if all you want is arm size. You aren't going to be able to make your biceps huge out of proportion by doing tons of curling and neglecting everything else.

http://www.geocities.com/elitemadcow1/index.htm

Read as much of this site as you can if you really want to learn about training. Most of that stuff was over my head when I first read it with over a year of training experience but it quickly starts to make sense. The intermediate 5x5 workout there made my arms grow about 1/2 of an inch in the first 4 weeks of doing it and that has almost no direct arm work at all. Your question about why compounds will make the arms grow is anwered somewhere on there too in a much more complete way than I could type up here.

HELLO. YES, THIS IS DOG. ironstrife's Avatar
    ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    eat more fat

Originally Posted by skyline1731
    eat more fat
    seriously?

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    eat more fat
    yeah what he said flax seed, fish oil, almonds, olive oil, etc............................................

and stop overtraining your arms and get a real workout program.
    Cha Cha Cha

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    read this:
    http://forum.bodybuilding.com/showthread.php?t=732835

it will help you

ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500) ironstrife is a jewel in the rough. (+500)
    seriously?
    yes. high fat diet is really good.. if you want to see more noticiable growth i'd probably increase your calorie intake by 500-800kcal.. this can be easily achieved by putting 1tablespoon of olive oil or flax oil into your shake 4-5times a day... Ever since i've been into the high fat diet, my growth has increased to least 1-2lb per week.. most of lean mass.. and i always snack on almonds.. I go through 2lb of almonds every week, calorie dense, rich in protein, carb, and fat. Most of people who actually know what they wat doing around here favor high fat diet as far as what i've witnessed...

flex Magazine June 2008 spirit3530's Avatar
    spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) spirit3530 has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    yes. high fat diet is really good.. if you want to see more noticiable growth i'd probably increase your calorie intake by 500-800kcal.. this can be easily achieved by putting 1tablespoon of olive oil or flax oil into your shake 4-5times a day... Ever since i've been into the high fat diet, my growth has increased to least 1-2lb per week.. most of lean mass.. and i always snack on almonds.. I go through 2lb of almonds every week, calorie dense, rich in protein, carb, and fat. Most of people who actually know what they wat doing around here favor high fat diet as far as what i've witnessed...
    again this guy is right.
    Cha Cha Cha

Your diet will be the main factor in your growth.. here's a quick list for ya..

Proteins

* Boneless, Skinless Chicken Breast
    * Tuna (water packed)
    * Fish (salmon, seabass, halibut)
    * Shrimp
    * Extra Lean Ground Beef or Ground Round (92-96%)
    * Protein Powder
    * Egg Whites or Eggs
    * Ribeye Steaks or Roast
    * Top Round Steaks or Roast (aka Stew Meat, London Broil, Stir Fry)
    * Top Sirloin (aka Sirloin Top Butt)
    * Beef Tenderloin (aka Filet, Filet Mignon)
    * Top Loin (NY Strip Steak)
    * Flank Steak (Sir Fry, Fajita)
    * Eye of Round (Cube Meat, Stew Meat, Bottom Round , 96% LeandGround Round)
    * Ground turkey, Turkey Breast Slices or cutlets (fresh meat, not deli cuts)
    * 1% low fat cottage cheese
    * Low fat or Skim Milk

Complex Carbs

* Oatmeal (Old Fashioned or Quick Oats)
    * Sweet Potatoes (Yams)
    * Beans (pinto, black, kidney)
    * Oat Bran Cereal
    * Brown Rice
    * Farina (Cream of Wheat)
    * Multigrain Hot Cereal
    * Pasta or Spaghetti (Whole Grain, ex:Barilla Plus)
    * Rice (white, jasmine, basmati, Arborio, wild)
    * Potatoes (red, baking, new)

Fibrous Carbs

* Green Leafy Lettuce (Green Leaf, Red, Leaf, Romaine)
    * Broccoli
    * Asparagus
    * String Beans
    * Spinach
    * Bell Peppers
    * Brussels Sprouts
    * Cauliflower
    * Celery

Other Produce & Fruits

* Cucumber
    * Green or Red Pepper
    * Onions
    * Garlic
    * Tomatoes
    * Zucchini
    * Fruit (if acceptable on diet): bananas, apples, grapefruit, peaches, strawberries, blueberries, raspberries
    * Lemons or Limes

Healthy Fats

* Natural Style Peanut Butter or Almond Butter
    * Fish Oil, Olive Oil, Safflower Oil, Almond Oil, Flaxseed Oil, Hempseed Oil
    * Nuts or Seeds (peanuts, almonds, walnut)

Condiments & Misc.

* Fat Free Mayonnaise
    * Reduced Sodium Soy Sauce
    * Reduced Sodium Teriyaki Sauce
    * Balsamic Vinegar
    * Salsa
    * Herb Rubs
    * Chili powder
    * Mrs. Dash
    * Steak Sauce
    * Sugar Free Maple Syrup
    * Chili Paste
    * Mustard
    * Extracts (vanilla, almond, etc)
    * Low Sodium beef or chicken broth
    * Plain or reduced sodium tomatoes sauce, puree, paste

Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000) Andalite is a splendid one to behold. (+10000)
    Originally Posted by Andalite
    do what i said...

ok, thanks.

greekhero2583 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Yeah i have noticed that too i went on a higher fat diet during the last six weeks put on round 6 pounds and my lifts have gone up alot plus arms from 14 1/2 2 15 inches

latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    Originally Posted by Liquidtensi0n
    Uh.. not so fast lol. Honestly, your arm workout most likely will have very little bearing on the size of your arms. It's how well you do on the compounds such as the bench, military and BB rows that will make your guns massive. What does the rest of your workout look like?
    bench and mil ahaha

bench=chest
    mil=delts

kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) kethnaab has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I wouldn't laugh too hard

trying to determine how good an "arm workout" is without knowing what is going on with the major mass builders like benches, rows, dips and chins, is absolutely futile.

they tie together, they are inseparable

latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50) latrell will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    no bro im laughin my ass off, if you want arms what helps it grow are ARM exercises. When you do back exercises you are suppose to isolate the back muscles and use as little of the bicep as possible. Yeah squats and deads stimulate more test, but arm exercises are what give you the arms. And those who say rows are for arms you are wrong, because you are cheating, you are suppose to use your back muscles.

Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10) Dirk D. is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    The body grows as a unit. It will ballance itself out. You need a large trunk to support large branches. There's no doubt about this.

As such, in order to get big arms, you need to train your presses and pulls hard. That will put size on your body, and make it possible for you to build bigger arms. That said, to actually build big arms, direct arm work is very helpful in my view. It should not, however, make up a huge part of your program.

One quotation I read on here seems very true. I'll paraphrase it here:

Weights build strength, food builds muscle. Combine the two for best results.

Good luck,
    Dirk