LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100) LISTEN_A_FELLA is not very well liked. (-100)

Show your knowledge to the youngsters

hey folks, i'm always trying to learn new things about everything, i will pass much time going to these places where old people live(i cant remember how it's called right now), they pretty much like sharing their experiences with young people and help them avoid the mistakes they made in life, well i'm not calling you old(lol) but if you could do the same and write a few small tips you have learnt over the years about training, avoiding injuries , staying healthy and active, what age did you really start noticing the aging,losing strength, etc, etc, that would be damn cool

jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000) jacktheblack is just really nice. (+1000)
    ehhhhhhhhh. you will have to speak up sonny we fogeys here in the old folks home are a little hard of hearing.

As for when I started noticed losing strength I will let you know if it happens. I started lifting hard two years ago and I am stronger now then when I was 18 (which is actually not much to brag about becuase I was a pretty fat and weak 18 year old)
    WWJB (what would Jesus bench)

dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) dbx has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    I think one thing us "older" folks have in common is that we wish we had started getting fit earlier. This applies to those of us who may have done some weight lifting in the teen years (or none at all), but got sidetracked by life.

For me, it's all about feeling good about myself. And it really doesn't take long to achieve this feeling even if you've just got started. In other words, while I sometimes wish I had started working out again in my 20's or 30's, I have no real regrets that I started at 43 because I look decent and feel great right now at 47.

"what age did you really start noticing the aging,losing strength, etc,"

Well, I suppose when I get my hair cut and they hold up that mirror to show me the back when they're finished and I can see that bald spot..........that's when I'm reminded I'm losing hair......but it oddly enough it doesn't necessarily make me feel I'm aging

I'm not losing strength........I'm gaining it. When my two sons can outlift me perhaps I'll feel like I've lost some strength. But I don't see that happening anytime soon

Perhaps you should have asked these questions in an "Over 80 Forum" somewhere out there.

hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    Do 100 dips a day and you won't go wrong.

never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10) never2late is on a distinguished road. (+10)
    One thing I've learned along this journey that is totally relevant to me, sometimes relevant to this older age group overall (individual by individual), and could possibly be relevant to youth is this:

Give up your preconceived notion of what a workout "week" typically is.

For me, a week of working out can be (including rest days) 5 days, 7 days, 8 or even 9 days per cycle of "weekly", before starting over again.

So often we think of a workout week as Monday thru Friday with the weekend off. Then start over again on Monday.

There are times when you have to extend that week, and the "week" actually goes into the next calendar week. So instead of starting over again on Monday, you many not start over again until Tuesday, or Wednesday.

Today I worked out chest. Normally, I'd work chest and rest the next day (cardio). But for some reason, I just couldn't get dialed-in today, and I didn't feel that the workout was as productive as I would have liked it to be. So I'm going to hit chest again tomorrow. This will now move everything up a day.

Sometimes I combine tris with chest, and bis with back. Other times I just do chest and back on their own days (without adding tris and bis at the end), and work on arms another day -- adding a day to the so-called "week".

Other times I just plain need a day of rest -- no weight training and no cardio. This also adds a day to the "week", since I pick up where I left off once the rest day is completed.

So, essentially, there really is no "week" per se, in a week of working out. It's just a cycle -- of sometimes varying lengths -- that continues to cycle with however many days it takes to cycle it.
    --N2L

bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) bodyhard has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    1) Stay away from bad form, bad form = injury
    2) You don’t lose strength as you get older, as a matter of fact, your best gains in muscle size and strength will come in your late 30’s
    3) Learn basic compound movements; master them before moving on to all the BS that you read in magazines.
    4) Don’t train a muscle when it is sore, give it time to repair itself and you will see much more improvements over the long hall.
    On the list for Bannukah

hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) hohandy has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    oh yeah - forgot two other things -

1)do your rotator cuff exercises religiously - just because an exercise doesn't make a body part bigger doesn't mean it's not important and your shoulders will thank you later

2) do dumbbell pullovers and see if you can expand your ribcage. I've read that the ribcage doesn't "set" until early 20s, so with diligent pullover work early on you should be able to see results

Registered User johnnyironboard's Avatar
    johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) johnnyironboard is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Originally Posted by LISTEN_A_FELLA
    hey folks, i'm always trying to learn new things about everything, i will pass much time going to these places where old people live(i cant remember how it's called right now), they pretty much like sharing their experiences with young people and help them avoid the mistakes they made in life, well i'm not calling you old(lol) but if you could do the same and write a few small tips you have learnt over the years about training, avoiding injuries , staying healthy and active, what age did you really start noticing the aging,losing strength, etc, etc, that would be damn cool
    None of us are as smart as you.

jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) jaguarr is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    Here is my tidbit of knowledge for you: Learn to use the search function.

jag
    My Music: http://jaguarr.spymac.com

Bite into the apple of discord and let it nourish away your complacency.

30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000) 30-A rider is just really nice. (+1000)
    Originally Posted by LISTEN_A_FELLA
    Gotta give this guy props for even asking that. For those of us that started training early we have made many mistakes that could have been prevented #1. #2 when I got into a gym I wasnt a punk and thought I knew it all and watched everyone like a Hawk, but was afraid to ask question fo the big guys. Today in the gym most Teens and early 20 guys I find are punks and when they come up and ask me how I got this and that body part so big they tell me they know they know and they do it better,,,which has me end the conversation with them saying " If you know why did you ask and why arent you bigger than me and in better shape?" Then I get the attitude look or the deer in headlights look.

Heres my input: Body Hards post is great!

-Best piece of advice I can give is read as much as you can
    -Dont listen to your friends your age as chances are they know no more or probably less than you.
    -Do not do behind the neck presses and or behing the neck pull downs....as most of us a biomechanically are not made to do these, and are only an injury waiting to happen
    -Learn to love the hate you develop for squatting
    -Like someone else said on here dont look at a workout week like it is fixed...If you feel you need a break you probably do. I personally break for a week at least once every 2-3 months purely because I feel burnt and my enthusiasm is lacking, and Im just plain old tired of being in the same gym. Sometimes a break for me is nothing more than going to different gym for a week to a month, which really breaks things up and re energizes my intensity( I recommend this to everyone, as it work wonders for my training intensity).
    - I have been training regularly since Im about 24 years old... and from 18-23 off and on. Now 37 what is most important to me is longevity. Most people over 30 are out of shape with guts and have no stregth or endurance, and I dont want to live unhealthy that way....Look at your training as part of something you will do for the rest of your life and it will reward you with great health.

By the way like someone else said...dont worry about getting weaker or loosing your edge. Im 37 and am just as strong if not stronger as when I was 19-24....most people hit peak ability for strength in their 30-s to early 40's. Look at Paul senior at Orange county choppers popping up 405lbs on bench at 54 years old...Jack LaLane at 92 still does one handed push up...now how many of us can even do them at all?!!!!! remember it all about longevity in the sport thats gonna count for you over a lifetime!

Lift Big and Roll Heavy!! Double Eclipse's Avatar
    Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50) Double Eclipse will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    My input is to take time to see if something works.If you try a new routine or try new supplements, give it some time to see results.I have seen in the gym for the last 18+ years eager you lads that try the latest and greatest glossy mag workout or the super trick gold monkey power powder for about a month, then either quit or change it up. This game takes time and it is a science specific for each body.Take tons of notes, so if you venture too far off the path, you have a baseline to return to.Find out what works for you and make it work.Plus, my dad has learned ALOT in the last 10-15 years (insert grin and chuckle here) and he always told me...."Son, you gotta go with what got you there."
    Lifting is 90% mental, the other half is physical !!!

There are 3 types of people in this world.... those that can count and those that can't !!!

guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250) guitarlifter has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    Injuries will be the number one thing that prevents progress. Give your body a break sometimes. Mix your training up at times. You may have a 300lb bench goal in the next 6 months. As you aproach the date, your shoulder or pec tendon is hurting bad. What to do? Lay off a bit and let yourself heal. Why? Because you'll heal up and hit that 300lb bench in 7-9 months. Then 350lbs in 2 years. Then 400 in 4 years. Or you'll just keep pushing and injure yourself, possibly very badly. Develop a chronic injury that will keep you from training very heavy, and stall your progress.

When people are young they think their bodies are invincible. They push and abuse untill that day when something gives. If you learn to listen to your body, and respect your body when it's telling you something-BEFORE you really hurt yourself, you'll be a great deal ahead in the long run.

As for me, I'll allways exercise. I've done it since I was about 15, it's just part of me. But not being able to bench, squat or deadlift heavy because of the stupid abuse I put my body through in my 20's is more painfull than any injury I sustained.

One other thing that I discovered after being injured and forced to change up my training: Volume is not bad. I used to be a HITer all the way. Now my reps are high (12-20+) and my sets are many. And my bodyweight is more than it was when I trained HIT (by 15 lbs) and I'm just as lean (if not leaner). Not saying that you should never trian with low reps. But I think you are doing yourself a disservice (even if you powerlift) if you don't occasionaly go through a higher rep trianing cycle. These are just my thoughts, I'm no expert.
    Just trying to keep my body from falling apart

Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50) Capt. America will become famous soon enough. (+50)
    You have the rest of your life to accomplish your goals, learn like we did...the hard way, it's lifes best teacher. Listen to your body and most important,
    THINK about life after 50, sure it's along way off but the habits and ethetic's you make will carry over into your older years. Asking a question as you did is wise beyond your years....you appear to be off to a good start. Read everything and anything...and don't forget the big 3...bench, squat and deads. They are the platform for growth and streangth, mentally and physically. Lastly...go in the military...a lot to learn about your heart, soul and responsibility.
    A coward dies many deaths, a Soldier dies one.

Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) Tyrbolift has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    The tips in this thread are nothing but pure gold...

My advice/comment: Be consistent, train instinctually, make it part of your lifestyle, not something extra, and you will find yourself in your 40's, 50's, or older earning respect, admiration, and envy from almost everyone of all ages.
    Time To Re-Schedule

Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500) Overload is a glorious beacon of knowledge. (+2500)
    I'm 43 and I don't feel it so there's something to be said for exercise. People tell me I don't look so I guess it works

Best advice from me is to keep it simple. Don't overcomplicate your routines and don't think you have to hit a muscle from every possible angle. Remember that for the most part a curl is a curl. No need to do 15 different variations. Yes, I've seen journals with similar

Use basic compound exercises that target multiple muscles and throw in a couple of isolation exercises for kicks.

Most of all, listen to your body. If it's hurting it's trying to tell you something. If it's tired, it wants rest.

Learn from your mistakes and enjoy the ride.
    "Franco is pretty smart, but Franco's a child, and when it comes to the day of the contest, I am his father. He comes to me for advices. So it's not that hard for me to give him the wrong advices." - Arnold Schwarzenegger - Pumping Iron

warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250) warped has a spectacular aura about. (+250)
    I have a ton of things I can tell you...........................

Crap I forgot what I was gonna say.
    Be accountable