力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)

Sumo DL starting weight? Recommended % of conventional pull/squat?

If I've never pulled sumo before, but have a conventional dead of 200 for reps, and a squat 1RM of around 200, what would an appropriate starting weight be for me to complete 2x5 sumo pulls relatively easily, not giving too much stress, and allowing me to learn the form well (obviously without starting so low that I spend months doing warm-up weights)? Is there a recommended % of my conventional or my squat I could use? Even if it's not 100% accurate, just a guess as to a starting point to experiment from would be helpful, as I have no clue what kind of transfer I can expect from conv to sumo, considering my conventional is half decent, but also given the fact that it's a completely untrained movement I've never attempted before.

koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000) koweanguy has a reputation beyond repute. Second best rank possible! (+100000)
    Try doing 135's for 5 reps to get accustomed to sumo DL's..

There's no set number anyone can recommend because I've seen some people prefer Sumo over Conventional whereas I personally prefer Conventional... so start out at 135's and gradually add weight OP~

anonymous
    Originally Posted by koweanguy View Post

There's no set number anyone can recommend because I've seen some people prefer Sumo over Conventional whereas I personally prefer Conventional... so start out at 135's and gradually add weight OP~
    This. Start at a very manageable weight and slowly work up again with good form. I much prefer sumo to conventional myself.

IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000) IDrinkBloodLOL has much to be proud of. One of the best! (+20000)
    I don't believe in percentage conversions because their accuracy varies wildly depending on the muscle balances of each person.

I say start light and work up over a few sets to find your 10RM, then 5RM and so on.

力 Do You Even Powerlift 力 CJ93UK's Avatar
    CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000) CJ93UK is a name known to all. (+5000)
    Originally Posted by koweanguy View Post

Thanks man, already repped you.

Originally Posted by ForumSentinel View Post
    This. Start at a very manageable weight and slowly work up again with good form. I much prefer sumo to conventional myself.
    Obviously I was planning on starting relatively light, I was wondering if there was any accurate guide to save me some time, considering 135 is around 25% of my max, and if I'm doing it low frequency alongside conventional on a different day each week, I'll have to increase at a very fast rate to reach weights that'll have the desired effect. I'll try 135 then, maybe increase by a plate each session if I find it good. I saw some people give good recommendations for percentages on other lifts, but if there's not anything like that for conv>sumo>conv, or you just recommend testing as a much better alternative, I'll go for it, and move up at my own pace. Thanks a lot, repped.

Originally Posted by IDrinkBloodLOL View Post
    I don't believe in percentage conversions because their accuracy varies wildly depending on the muscle balances of each person.

I say start light and work up over a few sets to find your 10RM, then 5RM and so on.
    Also appreciate the response, repped as well. I'll go for the recommendations here then, and see how it works out. I might run them with increased frequency or volume to speed up the process (normally I'll be alternating them with another lift and it'll result in 1x/2 week frequency). If I start that light, I should be able to get away with a bit more on em, more practice, more familiarity, and faster progression as I test what I can do.

Thanks guys, starting at 135 for my 1st sets seems the way to go now.

apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0) apzman11 has no reputation, good or bad yet. (0)
    I recently switched from conventional to sumo. I had a friend at the gym show me the form and I just warmed up with 135 and kept adding weight until I found a weight I could only do once. I used that as my 1 rep max and then I plugged that number into the 5/3/1 program and I've been working it that way.

If you are not familiar with 5/3/1 I would highly recommend doing some research. It basically uses 90% of your 1rm and then takes that 90% and you do different percentages of that and allows you to use less weight and focus more on beating your rep records vs weight you are lifting. It's hard to explain just go check it out and good luck!
    CURRENT:
    -PRESS 205
    -SQUAT 330
    -DEADLIFT 405